the Angel Gay-briel in Jarabacoa

Status
Not open for further replies.

amparocorp

Bronze
Aug 11, 2002
i'll buy it. the value of that painting has just exploded. next stop, christies or sotheby's.

M.A.R.

Silver
Feb 18, 2006
Pero por Dios, this takes the cake. The priest and the congregation is obviously fixated on the wrong things here. Everyday I move further away from organize religions because of stupidity like this.......ugggg

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Ridiculous. And it's a mural, so it can't simply be taken down and given away/sold/moved. Since when do angels specifically depict males or females - they're generic!!!

AE

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Well in this case it certainly did lay itself open to complete ridicule. More than usual.

Bernard Jean-Pierre

Oct 31, 2010
I'll go ahead and drop in my 2 dracma coins before the hammer comes down on this post.
1) As it relates to the Color Issue and Homosexuality, this issue PERFECTLY highlights some of things happening in Dominican society and culture.
2) Angels, are not Male and Female in the same 'way' that humans are, but they ARE depicted as 'sons' of God. And when they became disobedient in heaven they came to Earth to take WIFES for themselves. There is no reference in the Bible for ANY Angel being 'a female'. So there are many depictions of Angels as babies, girls, women etc, that are Biblically inaccurate.
3) Angels are also not of any race as they are SPIRITS, not fleshly like human beings.
4) Homosexuality is not a practice that God approves of. But it is God who judges.
5) The underlying problem could be this - the Catholic Church teaches celibacy which is NOT in the Bible. Therefore as a result there have been probably thousands of molestation cases in the Church, the Priest being culpable. So now there are many Catholic Churches trying flex their muscles and show everyone that such behavior is NOT allowed, NOT tolerated in any way. So its basically one misapplication of the Bible after another.

Reactions: Squat

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Taty Hernadez has considerable pull, and I'm sure she'll win out over said priest Johnny Duran, who is not the head priest at Del Carmen.

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006

2z71s2u.gif

Jarabacoa's Johnny Duran, Catholic priest, rendition of an "Angel" ?

24m70ib.gif

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
I guess the exception is always justified when it has to do with Christianity.
Well, sorry but this is DR1, so statistically it does tend to target the dominant religion in the country concerned, but don't get me wrong: The minute some loon-arsed imam, rabbi, guru or witchdoctor lets loose with their brand of absurdity and there is a DR tie-in, I won't discriminate.

By the way, this is old news.

Reactions: Bronxboy

jrhartley

Gold
Sep 10, 2008
its old news but only just translated into english lol........I was waiting for an up date from church goers to see if the angel is still there or whether he has been altered

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
Well, sorry but this is DR1, so statistically it does tend to target the dominant religion in the country concerned, but don't get me wrong: The minute some loon-arsed imam, rabbi, guru or witchdoctor lets loose with their brand of absurdity and there is a DR tie-in, I won't discriminate.

By the way, this is old news.

He's just
t8rjhl.gif
-OFF that he cannot "Spread the Word" here.....

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
Chip, do you feel that this Duran guy should be allowed to destroy this artwork?

I think it would be silly unless the painter came out and claimed he did something insidious. Among those of the Catholic faith we have the silly, stupid, criminal, sinner and also the good(and at the same time sinner). It's a shame we get bashed so much and only the negatives are reported as opposed to all of the good.

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
I think it would be silly unless the painter came out and claimed he did something insidious. Among those of the Catholic faith we have the silly, stupid, criminal, sinner and also the good(and at the same time sinner). It's a shame we get bashed so much and only the negatives are reported as opposed to all of the good.

Dude:

I respect religion, and other's beliefs completely...but one day you'll realize you are over the top at times on this board with your stuff, try going with the flow.

No bashing occured on this thread anywhere.

My opinion, art is art, LITFA.

tio tambo'

Berzin

Banned
Nov 17, 2004
I'm closing this, as I don't see the discussion going anywhere but downhill.

CLOSED.

Status
Not open for further replies.