Wealthiest people (especially businesspeople) in the D.R.?

jsk173

Feb 16, 2005
I've been trying to do some research for a project but keep coming up empty. Anyone seen a list anywhere of the top 5 or 10 richest people (or families) in the Dominican Republic? It takes about 10 seconds to find such lists for the U.S., Mexico, Japan, etc., but I haven't found even a crappy blog post about the D.R.'s wealthiest people/families/businessmen/etc. Thanks very much.

Last edited by a moderator:

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
try this list for starters, although may be a few years out of date

1-leon jimenez
2-corripio
3-grupo ramos
4-ochoa
5-bermudez
6-fernando capellan
7-jose clase
8-felix garcia
9-uascar rodrigues jr
10-juan ramon gomez diaz
11-brugal
12-mera
13-mu?oz
14-fondeur
15-fredi beras goico
16-corporan
17-hache
18-vicini
19-fermin
20-el presidente

Matilda

aarhus

Long live King Frederik X
Jun 10, 2008
This is a thread for people obsessed about money

JFD

Feb 10, 2010
This is old data, new data is:

? F?lix Bautista
? Francisco Javier Garc?a
? Victor D?az R?a
? Luis Manuel Bonetti
? Miguel Vargas Maldonado
? Freddy P?rez

Those are the richest people in the DR...

ExtremeR

Silver
Mar 22, 2006
This is old data, new data is:

? F?lix Bautista
? Francisco Javier Garc?a
? Victor D?az R?a
? Luis Manuel Bonetti
? Miguel Vargas Maldonado
? Freddy P?rez

Those are the richest people in the DR...

Esos son chivito jarto e' jobo. Cisneros is the richest "Dominican" (He gained the Dominican Citizenship not long ago) and Pepin Corripio follows up.

E

engineerfg

Doesn't everybody try to hide their wealth here so as not to be forced to pay tax? Must be tough to get a thorough list accordingly. Especially where people in the government are concerned.

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
I would think Rainieri (The guy who pretty much owns most of Punta Cana) would be way up there. I read a while back that the land he bought for about 25 million USD years ago was now worth about 1.2 Billion USD.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
what about this little bugger who calls himself presidente de los pobres? amable aristy?

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Nah, they owe a lot of people...if Cap Cana develops they will be up there.
There are people nobody knows, rice farmers, mill owners, cacao and coffee farmers...like nobody mentioned the owners of Cafe Santo Domingo or the Cartonera or Manuel Estrella... Or Miguel Gil Mejia (Who the %*U& is he? He owns CardNet....
Or the Bermudez family...divided they may be but there is a ton of money there.

The old families: Cabral, Espaillat, Espinal (Farmax), Vicini, Grullon (Banco Popular) & Bermudez have a whole lot tucked away and a whole lot more working for them. They just don't show it.

And the Spanish? Pola = Ramos and Fernandez
Nacional, and all the BIG supermarkets are Spanish.
Gonzalez & Fernandez are the biggest importers of steel beams

Oh, word is that Vicini own 10% of the original IBM stock...they were roommates at MIT....Just so's you get an idea. Bermudez, Carlos has a place in Trump Tower along with several other folks from here.

Keep looking, there are more.

HB

jsk173

Feb 16, 2005
Thanks for the feedback. Does anyone have any net worth numbers or estimates for these people? I can't tell if no one reaches the minimum wealth thresholds for the reports done by Forbes, et al., or if Dominicans just hide their wealth better than most. I've been to the D.R. countless times but have barely even heard of most of the people listed here. I figured the Bermudez and Grullon families would be wealthy, but I've never seen a net worth estimate for any of them. (Compare this to Mexico, where the richest people are often tracked right down to the last car they bought.) Thanks again.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Sorry, only estimates.
For example, how much is Jose Armando Bermudez Pippa worth?
Major share holder in the rum company, the distillery, Channel 9 (Colorvision), the brewery. BUT he is also the OWNER of most of the North Coast shoreline...Nobody really knows how much but a huge proportion of it...(Oh yeah, I forgot the Tannery)...

And perhaps hundreds of houses in Santiago, besides some of the primest real estate down town..

I would guess a gross worth over a billion dollars. (That hill? The one next to the Nacional Supermarket?? That's the family home...)

HB

But no, there are no websites on this...and nobody really knows.
And I haven't mentioned the Alvarez clan....

bonao99

Jun 11, 2005
Three richest families

These three are worth at least+ $500 millions

Vicini
Corripio
Leon Jimenes

el resto son chivitos

Bonao99

ExtremeR

Silver
Mar 22, 2006
what about this little bugger who calls himself presidente de los pobres? amable aristy?

He is really rich but cannot compete with the tutumpotes. I think he is Sammy Sosa rich (US$200MM). Your Dominican family is up there as well.