Best place to buy a scooter, small motorbike?

Anastacio

Banned
Feb 22, 2010
I want to buy as close to bavaro as possible to avoid driving a small machine for a long time. Anyone any idea where to pick up something? I'm looking for small convienient toy just enough to load my lass and the baby onto and pop down to the beach, or for me to buzz about on when in need.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
How large a human are you? Ever ride a moto before? What's your budget?

Anastacio

Banned
Feb 22, 2010
How large a human are you? Ever ride a moto before? What's your budget?

I'm no lard arse and about 5'8"average.
A moto? are these the little bikes that look like they belong in the circus? My budget is as little as I have to spend to get what I want. This is purely a buzz about Bavaro deal, not a bike I'm going to use for anything over a few Km's.

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
the best Deals for such you find in Higuey, all kinds/ages/sizes/prices available there, but on a very lil One the Ride from Higuey to bavaro could be the Adventure then.
in Bavaro itself You can check at the Place of the Belgium Guy Dirk, His Shop is located at Plaza Tobacco, that's on the Mainroad passing the Iberostar Hotel. He usually sells ATV's and those small Buggies, but He is the Guy who always knows about such stuff available for sales in the Area, worth a Try and have a chat with Him.

welcome to the East

Mike

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
I'm no lard arse and about 5'8"average.
A moto? are these the little bikes that look like they belong in the circus? My budget is as little as I have to spend to get what I want. This is purely a buzz about Bavaro deal, not a bike I'm going to use for anything over a few Km's.
A 2-stroke 100cc-/+ pasola is what would work. They are readily available and fairly inexpensive. There are dealers on about every corner. Get one with the largest wheels possible.

I always liked the minimalist look of the 50cc Honda Ruckus:

images

ratbastard

May 15, 2010
how good is the 50cc Ruckus on a typical dr hill road?

A 2-stroke 100cc-/+ pasola is what would work. They are readily available and fairly inexpensive. There are dealers on about every corner. Get one with the largest wheels possible.

I always liked the minimalist look of the 50cc Honda Ruckus:

images

In the city these could be great, but how effective are they heading to the beach, over the hills w typical slippery mud tracks?

Cost?

MikeFisher

Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
Anastacio plans to use such on the East, in the Area of bavaro, no Hills to climb here and no Muddy Roads to take, so to come around the bavaro Area such scooter is fine.
I never found them cheap, the opposite, for such small vehicles they are quiet Expensive here(talking the 125cc's, I have no clue about the Costs for the 50's etc).
climbing Hills I would not see as a prob here, driving Muddy Roads would be, a Scooter is not made to cross real Mudd Roads.
Where do You plan to use one, Ratbastard?

Mike

DRExplorer

Jan 1, 2007
I recently saw a picture of nine people to a pasola so I dont think weight is an issue here. I'm thinking of getting one myself just to travel back and forth to the beach, no more than three miles each way.

Keep in mind, salt and metal do not mix so when you get back home, you should always wash or hose down the bike.

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
In the city these could be great, but how effective are they heading to the beach, over the hills w typical slippery mud tracks?

Cost?
There is no one bike or moto that can handle all conditions well. I posted before how every bike is a compromise of purpose.

I've also posted to get the biggest wheels/tires possible. Big fat tires work on both dirt/sand and pavement, whereas small and skinny tires don't do dirt and sand that well.

A rule of thumb:
CB's Law of Moto Purchase said:
Get the best bike for the worst conditions you will routinely encounter.

That Ruckus has some fat tires for a bike that small.

But of one wants the ultimate well-designed, utilitarian, minimalist high-tech 125cc moto, this is it-The Sachs Madass:
223236539_8864b25a03.jpg

BTW-the fuel is in the frame.

I don't think they are available in the DR because they aren't Chinese Moto cheap, but that's one fine small machine. I've thought about importing some boutique high-quality small bikes and scooters, but I need another project like I need more holes in my head...:cheeky:

ratbastard

May 15, 2010
Anastacio plans to use such on the East, in the Area of bavaro, no Hills to climb here and no Muddy Roads to take, so to come around the bavaro Area such scooter is fine.
I never found them cheap, the opposite, for such small vehicles they are quiet Expensive here(talking the 125cc's, I have no clue about the Costs for the 50's etc).
climbing Hills I would not see as a prob here, driving Muddy Roads would be, a Scooter is not made to cross real Mudd Roads.
Where do You plan to use one, Ratbastard?

Mike

I need a little something for around the Samana peninsula. Perhaps a quad?
Thanks Mike!

ratbastard

May 15, 2010
There is no one bike or moto that can handle all conditions well. I posted before how every bike is a compromise of purpose.

I've also posted to get the biggest wheels/tires possible. Big fat tires work on both dirt/sand and pavement, whereas small and skinny tires don't do dirt and sand that well.

A rule of thumb:

That Ruckus has some fat tires for a bike that small.

But of one wants the ultimate well-designed, utilitarian, minimalist high-tech 125cc moto, this is it-The Sachs Madass:
223236539_8864b25a03.jpg

BTW-the fuel is in the frame.

I don't think they are available in the DR because they aren't Chinese Moto cheap, but that's one fine small machine. I've thought about importing some boutique high-quality small bikes and scooters, but I need another project like I need more holes in my head...:cheeky:

The Sachs is a smart bike! But over here with the state of the roads I need big wheels, perhaps a quad? Any recommendations? Thanks!

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
The Sachs is a smart bike! But over here with the state of the roads I need big wheels, perhaps a quad? Any recommendations? Thanks!
Quads generally don't have big wheels but the tires can be fat. They can be quite pricy.

Anastacio

Banned
Feb 22, 2010
I've seen a couple of Grizzlys here, but they are very expensive, very powerful and hefty machines, terrible on tar roads, the handling is irratic and I've nearly killed myself a few times in the mountain roads on these with oncoming traffic, cornering is terrible, but offroad you could not buy much better, a true beast on dirt.

MikeFisher

Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
if You really plan to ride very muddy/rough roads often, for the small distances around a area as Samana a Quad would not be a Bad idea.
make sure you buy a real 4x4 and not one of the usual small simple rear traction ATV's, you don't need a monster Grizzly or such Quad, a 250cc with 4x4 and Fat Tyres will bring You around Samana easily.
they are not very cheap to have.
a Scooter/Pasola should only be considered for the normal paved Roads, they are handy in a City.
Robert,
that "Boutique Styled" Bike Import, as with so many things when they are not available here, is a good working Market on the Isle, there are always the Ones who have the Money handy and love the things nobody else can buy in the next corner shop.

Mike

yb1

Oct 6, 2008
Honda Ruckus

We had a couple of Honda Ruckus's when we lived in the US. They are great little fun bikes. They do 100 miles to the gallon! We used them on roads and on dirt tracks in the mountains, they're easy to ride with those fat tyres. Won't go up a very steep hill though but there are no steep hills on the east coast. They're light and easy to push anyway. You can get 2 adults on one but your speed will be compromised slightly (top speed one-up is 30mph). I'd love to have one again!
I've only seen one in the country - in Cabarete (it was old and battered). List price in the US was 2000$US new (2600$US with all the paperwork & taxes).

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
We had a couple of Honda Ruckus's when we lived in the US. They are great little fun bikes. They do 100 miles to the gallon! We used them on roads and on dirt tracks in the mountains, they're easy to ride with those fat tyres. Won't go up a very steep hill though but there are no steep hills on the east coast. They're light and easy to push anyway. You can get 2 adults on one but your speed will be compromised slightly (top speed one-up is 30mph). I'd love to have one again!
I've only seen one in the country - in Cabarete (it was old and battered). List price in the US was 2000$US new (2600$US with all the paperwork & taxes).
Yup. Excellent little machines. Honda made a larger Ruckus, too, a 250. That'd be worth considering here...but aren't cheap.

Anastacio

Banned
Feb 22, 2010
Scrumaging around the breakers yard today I came across what looks like (looks like) a fizzy chopper frame with bars, how cool would that be, problem is the engine mounts are really really thin and close together (why fantic built these like this I don't know) and after looking at options to weld I'm still unsure what engine I can get in there. So I'm searching now to see if this could work out.
How cool would a fat wheeled layback chopper 50cc be in Bavaro, with the obvious airbrush naked lady design on the tank:pirate::pirate:!!