Census 2010: Were you counted?

For those who live in DR, was your home visited/were you counted?

• Yes

Votes: 36 66.7%
  • Yes, but I refused.

Votes: 1 1.9%
  • No, but I know someone that was visited/counted.

Votes: 3 5.6%
  • No, nada, zippo.

Votes: 14 25.9%

• Total voters

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
For those who live in DR, was your home visited/were you counted?

Yes.
Yes, but I refused.
No, but I know someone that was visited/counted.
No, nada, zippo.

Courtesy of CFA

Reactions: pedrochemical

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Yes, but I get the feeling we weren't asked the full list of Qs.

Chiri, I'm sure we weren't. I was sitting next to the guy interviewing me and noticed there were still more questions on the page he was reading from when he told me we were done.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
They came early one morning, 7am, and by the time we got decently dressed they were gone, never to return.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Up to a point, ours must have done that too.

I thought she got the point of the water question wrong - she asked where we got our water from, and I said, from the tap, but she said, no, where does the water supply come from - aqueduct, well, etc.? I'm sure the purpose of that question is to establish how many households have a mains water supply.

There is some data that is used for development indicators (as in the UNDP reports) that you could not obtain through observation. Or maybe these come from the ENHOGAR surveys that are more detailed.

In any case, the process confirmed the widespread perception that the basis for a lot of statistics is shaky to say the least - how many people who are illiterate or semi-illiterate will have replied "yes" to the "Can you read and write?" question?

Aug 21, 2007
They questioned me, then my Haitian gardener, who has lived on my property with his wife for 3 years now. The poor gardener was certain that the census taker was going to return with the police to have him arrested and hauled back to Haiti.

Overall, my experience with the questioning process was okay.

Lindsey

bochinche

Bronze
Jun 19, 2003
yep....maid apparently answered all questions that were asked.

would loved to have been fly on wall.

pedrochemical

Silver
Aug 22, 2008
There was total confusion at the Pedro household.
So many nationalities, residencies and languages.

But I sat her down with a nice batida and we figured it out together.

Nice lady.

tink23

Jul 15, 2008
There seemed to be a lot more questions on the page for me as well when they said they were finished.
My favourite question was, does anyone have any vision problems?... as I stood there wearing my glasses...

bachata

Aprendiz de todo profesional de nada
Aug 18, 2007
I did vote no, I'm not in DR in the mean time but my mother who lives in Santiago in a very populated area Villa Olimpica was no counted and the good about this is that she saw the person who was charged to visit her apartment building walking around the parking lot.
She stuck in the house all day long and no one came to her door!!!

JJ

granca

Bronze
Aug 20, 2007
Our interviewer was pleasant and polite and we had a laugh about some of the questions, we have no pets but as for animals in the house, yes cucarachas and largatos. When the questionnaire was finished I asked to read it through - no problem and I saw why so many questions were not answered, they just were not applicable.

SteveS

Apr 15, 2008
Apart from interrupting the sunday afternoon barbeque she was a nice girl and we got through it easily.

She was happy to interrupt I think given she was getting the food and drink the whole time!!!

InsanelyOne

Bronze
Oct 21, 2008
Census taker came by about 3 or 4 times... she was insistent but I politely refused to answer any questions. She finally gave up.