December Customs fee for Large TVs

jlw919

Sep 18, 2003
Searched the forums for information on waiver of customs for a Dominican to bring a large flat panel to Santiago this month. Wife said she thought that one costing up to $2000 might be free. Anyone have any insight on actual fees?

rafael

Bronze
Jan 2, 2002
www.dr-tourist.tv
Searched the forums for information on waiver of customs for a Dominican to bring a large flat panel to Santiago this month. Wife said she thought that one costing up to $2000 might be free. Anyone have any insight on actual fees?

If flying american airlines. . .forget it. They have a box embargo in december.

Jerry Albers

Dec 12, 2010
You can bring upto a 26' tv for free as far as i know- I just brought on threw and the customs guy checked the size - once you to a 32' - there going to charge you a tax on a per inch basis. I just bought a 46' toshiba at price smart in Santiago- because I couldnt get on here on a plane. I paid 50000 pesos. and a punch to the chin for over paying compared to usa prices. you can probably get a32' tv in if your suitcase can fit it in.

waytogo

Moderator - North Coast Forum
Apr 3, 2009
Santiago DR
My understanding is that in order to avoid any the customs fees on items under $2,000 the gift has to be sent by someone in the US that has not been in the DR for at least 6 months. They need to prove on their end in the US that is true and include the proper paperwork in the shipment. That and the basic shipping charges will apply, but you should be able to avoid the duty if you find a qualified person to send the TV and they include the proper documentation.

This sounds good. What is the timeframe in December to do this and what paperwork is necessary by a Dominican residing in New York to do this for me. She was last here in Santiago in April and still holds a valid Cedulla. Also, can the receipt be in my name since I will be paying with my credit card, not hers...
Where would they go for this paperwork.....

B in Santiago...