Im planning on living in dr for 3months please help.

oilrigr

Nov 30, 2010
hi i am a mid 30s man from Canada looking to spend 3 months in dr please give me the do's and dont's for the area of puerto plata. im all new to this and would be my first trip to the dominican.
1 where to find cheap accomodations.
2 what to do for 3 months.
3 where do i meet people
4 what do i do?
please give me some good feedback.

Reactions: badpiece33

genistar

Jul 29, 2009
Oakville, Ontario, Canada
Why?

Welcome to DR1! Before I can answer your questions I need to know:

Why Puerto Plata and why for 3 months? What are you looking to get out of this trip? In essence, what are your expectations?

oilrigr

Nov 30, 2010
well here goes.

well ive been reading on this forum and some people commented on it being safe others said no. well i want to go to Dr to learn spanish, beach time, chicas, lol. every tourist from canada said to go to puerto plata. keep in mind im 35 not dead yet. i have never been there so everything is going to be new to me. do you have any suggestions where i should go?

hi i am a mid 30s man from Canada looking to spend 3 months in dr please give me the do's and dont's for the area of puerto plata. im all new to this and would be my first trip to the dominican.
1 where to find cheap accomodations.
2 what to do for 3 months.
3 where do i meet people
4 what do i do?
please give me some good feedback.

First trip I would suggest Sosua or Caberette so that you can learn spanish meet girls and still be able to speak English and get your feet wet before going further in country.

oilrigr

Nov 30, 2010
ok now no bull****. im leaving on the 15th of january for 3 months and have travelled all across canada, states, mexico. i just want some information on where to go what to do. but many comments made here make me just not want to go. this is supposed to be the most beautiful beaches and people. come on now im just divorced and willing to explore life before i die.

papi201

Dec 2, 2010
ok now no bull****. im leaving on the 15th of january for 3 months and have travelled all across canada, states, mexico. i just want some information on where to go what to do. but many comments made here make me just not want to go. this is supposed to be the most beautiful beaches and people. come on now im just divorced and willing to explore life before i die.

it's a small island. If you are staying there for 3 months, you can see it all, just go everywhere and if you don't like the place just go elsewhere???....):surprised

ohmmmm

Bronze
Jun 11, 2010
The north coast is great. It all depends on your budget and many factors and that is why people have a tough time explaining what to do. I moved to the DR and decided to stay in Cabarete as I like the beaches there. There are plenty of bars along the beaches there and its a good place to start to get used to the country. I would suggest booking a place for one month and give yourself some options in case you find a better deal or want to check out another part of the country.

If half of your ambition is also to hook up, then the beach area in Cabarete attracts lots of toursists and if you are looking for a Chica then you may find one in Cabarete or hanging out in Sosua. But, since you are new, Cabarete is the safest choice for you... When you get here and if you want to do a lot of sight seeing, there are tours and etc. you can find in downtown Cabarete an sign up to do those.... Fishing, scuba diving, caving, boat tours, zip lining...lots of stuff. A lot of people at my place like to surf in the morning and then go kiteboarding in the afternoon... Party's at night in Cabarete or Sosua occur every night...it's always saturday night!

Most people will be reluctant to advise you to rent a car because of the crazy driving done here, potential liability and more... But, after a while here you may decide to rent a car and visit some other cities on the island... Or, you can take buses to about everywhere.

Overall, you will have a very good time and it's a good place to get away from normal life for a few months and explore a new culture. Since I have moved here and despite the problems and frustrations permanent visitors encounter here, I feel free here and I'm happy. If you have some money the world is your oyster here...

ohmmmm

Bronze
Jun 11, 2010
ab2000, are you completely bored? The guy needs some help... How about giving something positive back to help the person

greydread

Platinum
Jan 3, 2007
well ive been reading on this forum and some people commented on it being safe others said no. well i want to go to Dr to learn spanish, beach time, chicas, lol. every tourist from canada said to go to puerto plata. keep in mind im 35 not dead yet. i have never been there so everything is going to be new to me. do you have any suggestions where i should go?

Imagine a country twice the size of New Hampshire. That's the Dominican Republic and three months is a long time to spend in one beach town. If you want to learn Spanish there are immersion courses available nearby:

Learn Spanish in Sosua, Dominican Republic | donQuijote.org

The classes only take up an hour of each day but more importantly you will meet people of similar interest and they can guide you through the logistics of housing, transportation, etc. during your stay.

Once you get comfortable (after the 1st 4-6 weeks) you should probably plan to spend some time in other areas. Santo Domingo, Santiago, Samana, Bavaro, Higuey, Jarabacoa, Bonao, etc. all offer different perspectives on the Dominican experience and you have the time to experience it all.

I for one would be very interested on your perspective as a D.R. virgin in trip reports. It's a beautiful Country and I envy you.

Don't worry about Chicas. They will come and go. Concentrate on the language and the people and you will learn much and return home with an adventure which will last the rest of your life. You may even make a few life long friends.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
The north coast is great. It all depends on your budget and many factors and that is why people have a tough time explaining what to do. I moved to the DR and decided to stay in Cabarete as I like the beaches there. There are plenty of bars along the beaches there and its a good place to start to get used to the country. I would suggest booking a place for one month and give yourself some options in case you find a better deal or want to check out another part of the country.

If half of your ambition is also to hook up, then the beach area in Cabarete attracts lots of toursists and if you are looking for a Chica then you may find one in Cabarete or hanging out in Sosua. But, since you are new, Cabarete is the safest choice for you... When you get here and if you want to do a lot of sight seeing, there are tours and etc. you can find in downtown Cabarete an sign up to do those.... Fishing, scuba diving, caving, boat tours, zip lining...lots of stuff. A lot of people at my place like to surf in the morning and then go kiteboarding in the afternoon... Party's at night in Cabarete or Sosua occur every night...it's always saturday night!

Most people will be reluctant to advise you to rent a car because of the crazy driving done here, potential liability and more... But, after a while here you may decide to rent a car and visit some other cities on the island... Or, you can take buses to about everywhere.

Overall, you will have a very good time and it's a good place to get away from normal life for a few months and explore a new culture. Since I have moved here and despite the problems and frustrations permanent visitors encounter here, I feel free here and I'm happy. If you have some money the world is your oyster here...

The worst that can happen is you'll be kidnapped in Sosua and wake up in a Ho House in Boca Chica.

Reactions: Lucille

BigLongBeach

Feb 8, 2010
lots of stuff to do

if you want to stay in a AI do Puerto plata
if you want to party all night, and sleep with lots of pros/chicas stay in sosua
if you want to do outdoor activities stay in cabarette

take that spanish class. It will be a good place to meet people, they will introduce you to women, and places to go adventure off to

you will meet women in all places. after you feel good about your spanish adventure off outside of where you are situated.

the regular women and people(from the college) you will meet will be your best guide around the country. makesure you trust them....

you can spend a long weekend in the capital, what types of activities do you do?

golf? la romana, juan dolio, punta cana
outdoors, hiking, mountains? jarabacoa, costanza, ocoa
swimming, surfing, watersports? the north coast or any resort area

3 months is a long time. I wish i could take that much time off the real world...

greydread

Platinum
Jan 3, 2007
I knew it!

And then to continue happily live in Canada.

Sock Puppet for whom?

greydread-albums-greypix-picture255-200px-sockcat.jpg

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
No, just that he might be a sock puppet, although he could just be a long-time lurker, for alluding to something that happened long before he signed up with his current handle.

Reactions: mike l