Edenorte Transformer Problems

bigfish

Jul 10, 2007
I live in a community of 11 homes. We originally paid Edenorte $45000.00 to bring electricity into our community. They put in all poles, lines, and transformers. All homeowners split the cost equally. I have not had power for a week now and the consensus from Edenorte is that the transformer is not working that feeds my house. They have advised me that I need to pay for a new transformer. My question is, if this is correct or not....does the consumer have to pay for a new transformer when they go bad? Who owns the line, the pole, the transformer etc.? When a transformer breaks down in the middle of a Dominican neighborhood, I find it hard to believe that the Dominicans have to buy a new transformer. Any input would be appreciated.

Bigfish

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
We used to have issues here in our subdivision in Santiago but they were resolved a few years ago. What I have learned is the the "junta de vecinos" are what get things moving here. There are registered either here in Santiago or possibly Moca for Cabrera. I can find out more if you want to go that route and don't have one already. Failing that, you need to have an audience with the Engineer at Edenorte in charge of your area (we went that route too). Be prepared to offer him something to make it happen. Good luck.

bigfish

Jul 10, 2007
What is "junta de vecinos" exactly....and do you have a phone number for them? If we decide to go the route of the engineer in charge of our area what woould be a reasonable TIP? Thanks for the advise.

Bigfish

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
Junta de vecinos is literally a "Neighborhood Council". You and your neighbors have to get organized so that you can approach the authorities representing your community. It is useful for situationas with EDESUR, Water Works (CAASD), Ayuntamiento, etc. I don't know how you go about registering your "Junta" but the first step is to get your neighbors together and see if they're up to it.

Unless there is one already formed. Bigfish I recommend you ask around first.

Nov 25, 2008
All of this means more bureaucracy, time and it wont solve the immediate problem.
True if the transformer is IN a private property it does NOT belong to EDEMORTE

Out of curiosity did you get a receipt for the $45,000 if not is just hush money for something they should have done without payment

bigfish

Jul 10, 2007
As far as junta de vedinos, I guess you mean neighborhood association, whick we already have in our community. The transformer is on the side of the rosd in our community. I was not in the country when the power was brought into the community. We all originally had our power generated by generator, then fuel prices started to rise and it was unfeasable, thus bringing in edenorte. The contractors for the community dealt with edenorte. I assume we have reciepts. They have now started dealing with them on this issue. Edenorte was out here last night in the dark and made it sound as if MAYBE we don't have to buy the transformer....You know how it goes...on and on and on.....Thanks for all the input...

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
I our situation here in Santiago we were in a private subdivision (streets not maintained) with a transformer and inferior 10 and 12 guage wiring but after numerous trips by groups of people of from the junta de vecionos they installed a new transformer and wiring. The term used was normalizar la luz con alambre triple.