How to cook pulpo? URGENT!

ab2000

Nov 7, 2010
How to cook a pulpo (tentaculos) the right way? How long to boil not to get it like a rubber? When to peel the dark skin? Before cooking or after? How much salt in the water? Spices? Other hints and suggestionts?

Urgent!!

Slick James

Mar 11, 2010
I don't know any Dominican recipes but in the past I?ve used it as an ingredient in seafood gumbo. I chopped it into segments about an inch long and stewed it with okra, fish and veggies at a low simmer for about 45. Plenty of thyme, oregano, chili powder, onion and garlic.

ab2000

Nov 7, 2010
The best & only way to cook it is to use a pressure cooker.

Forget boiling it. Sorry. :ermm:

Can you elaborate? More details and technicks?

I am not rich enough to own a pressure cooker but I will buy one for this occasion.
I want to cook them for my nietos.

Can I cook langostas in PC as well?

TOOBER_SDQ

Bronze
Nov 19, 2008
Sorry to say, but I am not the chef in my house.

I did find this recipe & instructions on the web. Seasoning is important, but the really important part to to make sure the finished product is not tough like rubber.

Have a look at the link below. I agree with everything except the paprika. I would cook it as the directions state and mix it up with a vinegar / olive oil dressing to finish.

Recipe: Octopus with Paprika

Pulpo Served ;)

TOOBER_SDQ

Bronze
Nov 19, 2008
It?s perfect when it looks like this?

pulpo-e1292262161173.jpg

PULPO A LA VINAGRETA
Ingredients:
? 1 kg octopus, innards removed and cleaned properly
? 1 medium sized onion cut in fine juliennes
? 1 medium sized purple onion cut in fine juliennes
? 1 small bell pepper cut in fine juliennes
? 1 green chili, cut in fine julienne if you want to spice it up ? I do without it
? 1.5 tbs vinegar, adjust to taste
? ? cup extra virgin olive oil
? 2 lemons
? 2 Bay leaves
? 1 stalk leek
? 1 cup of finely chopped cilantro
? 1 stalk celery
? Salt and Pepper to taste

Reactions: rice&beans

johnny

Bronze
Feb 8, 2003
hausenland.com
How to cook a pulpo (tentaculos) the right way? How long to boil not to get it like a rubber? When to peel the dark skin? Before cooking or after? How much salt in the water? Spices? Other hints and suggestionts?

Urgent!!

the best way is steam cook (never boil)
if you dont have a pressure cooker, you can you use a rice cooker, but it would take more mins to cook.
if you are in Santo Domingo, go to Supermercado Bravo in Los Cacicazgos, they will cook it for free while you do your shopping. it,s very cheap also 30pesos a pound.

ab2000

Nov 7, 2010
the best way is steam cook (never boil)
if you dont have a pressure cooker, you can you use a rice cooker, but it would take more mins to cook.
if you are in Santo Domingo, go to Supermercado Bravo in Los Cacicazgos, they will cook it for free while you do your shopping. it,s very cheap also 30pesos a pound.

Thank you Jonny! I expected exactly this kind of input from you!

I do not go to the city often. How to easier find this Bravo place from 27 of February (from US Consulate to be exact) ?

johnny

Bronze
Feb 8, 2003
hausenland.com
Thank you Jonny! I expected exactly this kind of input from you!

I do not go to the city often. How to easier find this Bravo place from 27 of February (from US Consulate to be exact) ?

from the consulate: drive south 2 blocks to Ave. Bolivar, then take right and keep straight until Ave. Privada (about 5-6 miles). turn left and then right in Ave. Enriquillo. you will see the supermarket at the left side. about 3 or 4 blocks.

ab2000

Nov 7, 2010
from the consulate: drive south 2 blocks to Ave. Bolivar, then take right and keep straight until Ave. Privada (about 5-6 miles). turn left and then right in Ave. Enriquillo. you will see the supermarket at the left side. about 3 or 4 blocks.

Thank you!

No hay otra Bravo mas cerca de l`autopista Americas? Six miles on Bolivar may take mucho!

ab2000

Nov 7, 2010
I did just 1 time in a rice cooker and it was fine. cut the tentaculos in small pieces (1inch) and place with very little water (just enough for steam) in the rice cooker.

Should I add ajo, pasta de tomato, pimienta, aceite etc? Is the liquid eadeable too?

CG

Bronze
Sep 16, 2004
Put it in the oven with a few vegetables, carrots, onions, some parsley etc, add some white wine, water and cook covered for about 5/6 hours at 90 degrees C.
Throw out the veg and continue to proceed with your original recipe. If your original recipe is served warm just throw in the pulpo at the last minute to warm it up.
Enjoy !

ab2000

Nov 7, 2010
Put it in the oven with a few vegetables, carrots, onions, some parsley etc, add some white wine, water and cook covered for about 5/6 hours at 90 degrees C.
Throw out the veg and continue to proceed with your original recipe. If your original recipe is served warm just throw in the pulpo at the last minute to warm it up.
Enjoy !

I have no oven sorry. Just a four burner gas top stove and a small rice cooker. My options are limited. I will try what Jonney said tonight after work!!

theoldmillwright

the oldmillwright
Mar 6, 2004
canada
The only time i really enjoyed it was at Rincon, and the cook
well she must have beat that thing for at least 2 hours
no kidding,but it was great.

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
Yummy, we used to have that every Christmas eve when I was a kid as well of course as calamari.

Buy a small one so the tentacles are tender. My mom would cook it in salty boiling water for about 30 mins. It all depends on how big or small it is. We would cut it up and eat it as is. The head was reserved for one or two in the family that loved that part along with the ink. ;)

Thinking about it now it would be better in a salad as calamari would be as well.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
I've been told that you either have to cook it quickly, or for a very long time. That the "in the middle" time it is tough as rubber. Had some as an appetizer at an Italian restaurant last night that was mouth watering - lightly breaded and fried rings.

AE

ab2000

Nov 7, 2010
With the help and friendly advice of the whole DR.1 community a perfect result was obtained. Two ways!

In case of a public interest I will further elaborate.