waterproblem

W

Wim

Why is their so much water and electricity problems in DR ?
My girlfriend ( living in San Juan de la Maguana ) told me that today is the thirt day without water .
She can't clean the house , clean the clothes for school for the children , and most important , no water to cook and clean the diches .

Hang on girl ,be strong .

Kisses ,
Your love , Wim .

E

ECH, M.D.

It is very simple Wim.
The electricity demand far outstrips the supply. They are in the process of increasing the amount of power generated.

As for the water....we are in a draught period, not sufficient rain to raise the resevoirs PLUS the fact many major conduits need to be replaced.

When one lives on an island with very little natural resources, problems such as these arise. It is unpleasant but a fact of life.

J

Jim Hinsch

Re: water problem - related to electricity outages

The water problem often has nothing to do with lack of water. When there is no electricity, the water pumps don't run. When the pressure drops, the water stops. It could be due to no pressure for an individual house, or for an entire neighborhood.

E

ECH, M.D.

Re: CAASD reply

I only know what I read in the papers as Will Rogers always used to say:

Drought to continue
The Weather Department reports that the drought that is affecting the country will continue. It alerted this situation will lead to more wildfires in the Cordillera Central mountain range.
Meanwhile, Institute of Potable Water (INAPA) and Santo Domingo Corporation of Water (CAASD) officials urged the population to not waste water. Engineer Julio Suero Marranzini says that the water supply in Santo Domingo has dropped 30%, from 400 million gallons a day to 280 million gallons. He said that studies have shown residents waste 58% of the water supply. The CAASD is about to install meters in order to make residents more aware of not leaving faucets turned on, leaking or wasting water in other ways.

When I called CAASD about NO water in my cistern I was told there is no water to pump/deliver. We have currently been on our 500 gallon Emergency supply since yesterday. Go figure.

G

Gunnar

Re: CAASD reply

Think there are both variants. Noone can say we lack water here
in Jarabacoa (=lugar con mucho agua!), but electricity and
duct problems keeps our taps dry anyway. In other parts
of the country, like SD, pure lack of fresh water is the
main problem right now.

Key point: Having most efforts destroyed by hurricanes every
now and then, defies the buildup of an infrastructure to
efficiently cope with these problems. The power grid
was subject to a massive upgrade from 1996. Supposed to
be completed at the end of 1998. September 1998 hurricane Georges
destroyed almost half of these investments...

A

Another Gringo in Pto.Pta.

Whe have that much water.......

in the last same days, I never saw.
Normal we just have daily from about 10am to 2pm tapwater (except Sunday, just once a month..).
Since a month depend to construction in the Bario it started at about 5pm to 9pm, less much pressure .
But since 4 days we have the strongest pressure and from about 5pm to next morning 6am. That was never happened here before, so it cannot be a resource prob, just like always a DR-PROB*LOL*.

cu/charly....(who always has his private resource:)...)