Dentistry Career PUCMM

DipreSantana

Nov 29, 2009
What are the prospects of a dental career here, from someone who graduates from PUCMM, my younger brother is due to finish high school here next year, and he's interested in dentistry, let's say he goes to PUCMM, and graduates in estomalogy, what would be his chances of finding employment, what would be a realistic starting salary, please give any info you might have.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
How long is a piece of string?

Many things can change in his years at dentistry school.
Maybe he fails? Maybe he makes great friends with great connections etc.

If he graduated today with good grades and knows the right people, I'm sure he would do ok.

Nov 25, 2008
you mean to work in the DR?
if so he better do a specialty in a specific area [braces...] and capital to open up a WELL equipped office; I have a relative who did this and borrowed about 2 million to open up his office; your better off going back to the states do your residency {+-2 years] pass the bar and work for US$; my daughter is in her 3 semester PUCMM and her plans is to head for the states

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
UCE is nowhere near PUCMM, please. I am glad she finished but please do not compare the two..

That said (it was mandatory, I have worked over half my life there!), let me say that Estomatology is a great career. However, no career in health care should be undertaken for the "money". There is too much pressure and sacrifices to be made to finish well.

I have a lot of personal knowledge, and if the young man is a good student, and graduates, he then has to think about his residency: A good friend of mine finished her speciality in Endodoncia in Sao Paulo, the best faculty in South America and world recognized-Bauza...incredible place. My D-in-Law went to NYU (there is a joint program with PUCMM), but the costs are incredible, like 75,000!! However, she is making much more than that now, some 15 years later.

So you really can't put limits on this. Like Robert said, there are too many variables.

HB

Nov 25, 2008
Mr. Santana as far as dentistry and NOT having a problem transferring to the states for a residency, PUCMM is your option

thanks

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
I know a girl from Jarabacoa that is attending the dentistry program at PUMMC because it is the only one in the DR that is acceptable in the USA where she plans to practise. She is an American citizen already. Several of her friends opted for an easier program with less cost involved but she has a rich daddy and a real desire to practise in Virginia.

bachata

Aprendiz de todo profesional de nada
Aug 18, 2007
If he graduate and become a successful doctor may have the opportunity to live a very comfortable life same as my cousin Cesarina and his husband Miguel both of them graduated from PUCMMA.
They are running their own practice since graduated.

No much people can afford to have a second home for vacation in Sosua, they do.

JJ

E

engineerfg

Here's some data points I can share:

1. one friend I have is a dentist at Salud Publica - and nets about 22,000 pesos a month.

2. another friend I have owns a pretty nice clinic, had to borrow loadsadough to set it up, he told me each dentist working full time bills about 40,000 pesos a month, of which he keeps 25,000. He has 3 seats, so he nets 75K on the backs of the others (this is an average month), and he tries to bill his own 40K pesos. The problem with this model is that it requires lots of capital up front - rent, lease on dental equipment etc.

bachata

Aprendiz de todo profesional de nada
Aug 18, 2007
The reson my cousin and her husband are so sussesful is becouse after they graduated from PUCCMA went abroad ( Mexico) to get a master on cirugia maxilofacial.

JJ

DipreSantana

Nov 29, 2009
I'll try to hit all the points.

You cannot just go from dentistry here, to residency in the US, if it were that easy, I wouldn't be asking the question, the fact is, after finishing here, you have to go back to dental school in the US, for a two year program, which costs about 80k, I'm doing the medicine myself, at PUCMM, and I can go straight to the US if I can match a residency, estomalogy students cannot. This is the reason why I ask, because it is what he wants to do, but he'll have to work here for a few years, to have enough money to coordinate everything to become a licensed dentist in the US, which is his goal.

My godfather's daughter graduated from estamology last year, and the process to be able to practice in the US is a very expensive and convoluted one, from what I've been told.

In a perfect world, most people don't go into medicine for the money, but in our world, almost everyone does, I like to help people, this is why I like medicine, but I have a ton of extended family who are all living in poverty, and while I and my immediate family live in comfort, they're living the real 3rd world life. And I would like to help them, so, to me, and by me to my brother, money will matter.

We're in Santiago, so we won't be going to UCE, PUCMM was the only logical choice in the end. UTESA is a hellhole, and with UASD, I couldn't be sure if I could get to my goals in the time I have allowed myself.

From the info I've gathered from y'all, I'll assume that dentistry is not such a good choice. So I guess it's medicine for him as well.

POPNYChic

Bronze
Jul 27, 2009
i have friends who are working as doctors straight out of school, but theyre renting at the bigger local private clinics. they didnt open their own. thats too much capital. but they make very good money for new graduates.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Seems to me there are awhole bunch of dentists...everywhere. They seem as common as cambios and bancas, one on every corner. And many work for peanuts.

Although Dominicans DO seem to have nice toofes...:D<-note the nice choppers, must be a Dominican smilie

Sep 19, 2005
i have at least a half dozen friends who went to school for dentistry in the dr, and none of them practice it!!!

it is a crowded field in the DR and it will take years to gain the pay many EXPECT from being a dentist there.

at my dentist office in NY there are several dominican asistants... they probably make decent money here.

but for someone to learn in the DR and stay there for a job...Id say its a long road to success.

like many things, you need to graduate high in your class, have some connections and a little good luck and a lot of patience...then maybe you will get a lot of patients!! :bunny::bunny::bunny: ha ha

bob

Reactions: SantiagoDR

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
i have at least a half dozen friends who went to school for dentistry in the dr, and none of them practice it!!!

it is a crowded field in the DR and it will take years to gain the pay many EXPECT from being a dentist there.

at my dentist office in NY there are several dominican asistants... they probably make decent money here.

but for someone to learn in the DR and stay there for a job...Id say its a long road to success.

like many things, you need to graduate high in your class, have some connections and a little good luck and a lot of patience...then maybe you will get a lot of patients!! :bunny::bunny::bunny: ha ha

bob

Agreed , friends of ours have a daughter practising in Argentina( WAY SOUTH IN ARGENTINA) and their son is practising in Colombia, both trained at PUMMC.