Codetel - Dumb as a Box of Rocks!

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Time to rant!

Why is it when you know what the problem is, they still insist on checking the cabling in the walls, access points etc. Nothing changes, nobody has moved the walls, wake up!

Whenever we have had problems with our phone or internet connection, 100% of the time it's been something outside the office. 95% of the time at the local switch.

I have lost count how many times I have told them to reset our switch and the problem is solved. Or that X light is off on our Cisco router, so this is the problem etc.

This stuff is not rocket science, the planet has millions of connected users that never have a problem. Why is it so messed up in the DR? Then again, I think I know the answer! haha

My sister has a 100MB fiber in the UK. It never goes wrong, 99.9% uptime and she can't remember the last time they needed to call someone because of a problem.

What's sad, Codetel is the best of rest :(

pedrochemical

Silver
Aug 22, 2008
There are small villages in deepest Africa that are better connected than the D.R.

Literally.

For some reason NET access sucks here - and this is not just to do with off island fibre access.

The web is now like clean water, sanitation, electricity, air, food, shelter and beer.

It is essential.
And here it sucks!!!!
Robert, I think you are being very retrained.

The words 'P!ss up' and 'Brewery' spring to mind.

NALS and PICHARDO, please spin this so I feel good again.

Squat

Tropical geek in Las Terrenas
Jan 1, 2002
I just dumped Codetel last week-end... Orange NetHogar "light" seems to works just fine... 1400RD$/month... Not bad...
I feel relieved, no more landline, after 10 years with Codetel, 10 years of calling 220-1111 !!!!!
Let's see how that Flybox behaves...

Reactions: Bronxboy

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002
Codetel is always going to deny that any source of communication problem is outside your office. The deny instruction for that is in chapter one of every technician's and customer service agent's handbook.

They foolishly use man hours chasing after ghosts you know do not exist than follow your wise suggestions as to where the abnormalies are. You know your system.

If the problem is inside, it is your dime, if it is outside it is their dime.

Regards,
PJT

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Robert, been there.

Whenever our connection really slows down, we're reluctant to call in because:

1) It's not Codetel you're speaking with.

2) They make you go through an absurd "troubleshooting" process that proves nothing.

3) They often close the case and do nothing.

ALL while knowing damn well the problem is 95+% THEIR problem.

<sigh>

AND we just get 1.5mb innerweb...

jrhartley

Gold
Sep 10, 2008
I have no problems with codetl on the the north coast...orange here is ****e though it has to be said

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
I just dumped Codetel last week-end... Orange NetHogar "light" seems to works just fine... 1400RD$/month... Not bad...
I feel relieved, no more landline, after 10 years with Codetel, 10 years of calling 220-1111 !!!!!
Let's see how that Flybox behaves...

Please post a review, would be interesting to see how that works out.

Do you any monthly bandwidth caps?

waytogo

Moderator - North Coast Forum
Apr 3, 2009
Santiago DR
Codetel-Dumb as a Box of Rocks

25kk5nb.jpg
"THE BOSS INSULTED US"​

Robert,
What I don't understand is why you would insult the box of rocks......
What did this poor box of rocks ever do to you to put them in the same category...

B in Santiago and loving every minute

Reactions: Tamborista

Madmick

Dec 14, 2010
When we lived in Santiago, the internet went down every time it rained. We called Codetel and they said that it was 24 hour response. So everytime they came round the internet was fine. We had to use the wifi in La Sirena just down the road to finish important business stuff.

Squat

Tropical geek in Las Terrenas
Jan 1, 2002
Please post a review, would be interesting to see how that works out.

Do you any monthly bandwidth caps?
Here are the specs: Orange Dominicana ? - Net hogar

It has been a few days only, but over the week-end, a customer of mine lend me his own Flybox, with a faster plan... I couldn't believe how fast it was ! Never seen such a fast internet in tis island ever !

My bandwidth caps is quite small ("light" gives you only 5GB), but if you go for the "extra" plan, you get 25GB, and once you spend it all, your speed is 1024Kb/s for the rest of the month, which isn't tht bad anyway...

I see Orange taking the number 1 place as the DR ISP soon...

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006

Welcome to Jodetel's Customer Dis-Service Center

Press 1 to Hang Up

Press 2 to repeat these instructions

eldw7m.png

Madmick

Dec 14, 2010
When your contract expires with Codetel, they carry on sending you the bills and you have to carry on paying unless you go to Santiago head office to tell them to stop. Don't make it a weekend as they don't do terminations at weekends.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
When your contract expires with Codetel, they carry on sending you the bills and you have to carry on paying unless you go to Santiago head office to tell them to stop. Don't make it a weekend as they don't do terminations at weekends.

Yes, you are correct. The best way to deal with this is NOT to PAY. Then they disconnect it. First tell them you are done and get a copy of your cancellation, so they cannot charge you if you want service in the future.