Canadian calling card - 11.5 cents/min to DR!

D

Deb

I just found a calling card with an excellent rate to the DR. It's called the Apple Phone Card and it's only 11.5 cents/minute with no connection fee! A much better rate than you get with Bell Canada ($1.59/minute).

R

Roxanne

hi there..

thanks for that info..can you call from home or only from a payphone???

i now have the Bell's overseas plan and i can call DR 24hrs a day for .89 cents/minute

11.5 cents is much better!!!!!

muchas gracias

C

Cora

You should try Ci Ci it has a very good rate to the Dr.You can get 96 mins with $20.00 and there is no connection fee. They have $5,$10,$20,$50. thier all very good.

J

Jim Hinsch

Ola (http://www.profekta.com/ola2.htm):
Connection fee: CDN$1.97
CDN$0.067 - 0.177/min. depending on access number used.
The higher amount is for 800 access.

There are some better rates at www.BocaChicaBeach.net/staying_in_touch.html:
Option1-
Connection fee: CDN$3.31
CDN$0.044/min.

Option2-
Connection fee: CDN$2.19
CDN$0.132/min.

Option3-
Connection fee: FREE
CDN$0.162/min.

The Apple Calling Card I'm familiar with only works from Austrailia. Where can the Apple Phone card be purchased?

J

Jim Hinsch

Re: Why would you recommend a more expensive card?

Why would someone pay 21 cent/min. when they can pay less with the calling cards mentioned here on the board that also have no connection fee? Am I missing something about your recommendation for the Ci Ci card?

D

Deb

I purchased mine at a Gateway Newstand here in Toronto...a friend in NYC says the card is available there as well.

S

Sarah

I've actually found that some DR cell #s are #s

that are really designated for other Caribbean Islands...like Jamaica, for example. So I thought I was getting the DR rate but was actually charged the JA rate! Yikes!!!

R

Roxanne

Re: I've actually found that some DR cell #s are #

I found another card VOX - no connection fee, $10 card gives over 2 hours of talking time to DR.

can someone expand on the warning that someone made about calling cell phone #'s - more expensive when using a phonecard or just in general???

muchas gracias

D

Deb

I think this particular card is only good for calls originating in Canada.

B

bagamunda

Re: OK, but why, in your experience?

With all the phone cards I have purchased never have I been charged more for calling hubby's cell. Sometimes I don't even get my minutes taken off, I guess the card doesn't notice the conection.

J

Jeff

Re: Beware - expensive when calling a cell in the

The Ci Ci card available in Toronto area is one of two I have found that don't charge more to call cell phones in the DR
The other is Ola card it is less per min bet has connection fee..CiCi does not have fee to connect

P

Phyllis

Re: Beware - expensive when calling a cell in the

When I bought a card from Encore, the chart said I had 62 minutes; but when I called a cell phone from Canada to POP the message said I only had 28 minutes - and, after talking about 15 minutes I was cut off and couldn't use the card again!

This also happened with another card, can't remember the name.

I now always use Ci Ci or Ola.

H

helen

From the same company

The phone card mentioned by Deb (Apple & Orange) are also distributed by Goldline (Ola, CiCi, Travel, etc, etc). Some of the phone cards charge by minute increments while others on 3 min ones. Ask at the place you buy your cards from. They should be able to tell you the differences. Most of the phone cards will note the fact that calls to overseas cellular phones are more expensive. Not sure why...most probably the type of networks used...landlines as supposed to satellites, etc. I find some of the phone cards issued by Millenium to be very reasonable. The Nuestro Mundo gives you 451 minutes to the DR on a $20 card. Connection fee: $1.99

M

missy

phone card

Where can I get one of these phone cards...is it possible to order by mail. I am currently living in isolation, and very rarely get ionto the big cities...However I will be in the Montreal airport in April, can I get them there?? If so where??