Serenis Cocotal Hotel, Punta Cana

A

Alan Osborne

I am due to visit the hotel in August. The tour company only have artists details. Has anyone been to the hotel,it is reported to be open for buisness from April 2001.I would't want to visit a builidng site!

S

Sheila

Alan,

We too are going in August. If you look at the Sirenis site and check out the spanish speaking site, there are some lovely pictures of a completed complex.They don't seem to have got the english site up to date yet.I have also been in touch via email with someone who has just come back and the only building is next door,' another sirenis hotel' and that is due to open in April. I wouldnt worry, there are some good reports coming through now.

B

Burty

I have been worried and held off paying the rest of our deposit. We are booked for August have been desperate for info. I was relieved to recieve an e-mail from someone who arrived back in the UK last week that said:

"hotel and beach fantastic, staff very friendly, food very good. Some building work still to be done but nothing that should be of concern. Its paradise, relax and enjoy".

That was enough for me. I'm now a few quid lghter and crossing the days off the calendar. See you in August.

L

Lucy

We leave on wednesday are are now reassured that it will all be fine-many people have said what a wonderful time they have had recently staying here.
If anyone has any questions, I get back in a week on wednesday(the 5th April I think), so please feel free to ask me anything.

Lucy

S

sue slinn

I went there for two weeks in Feb this year and the place was the pits!! The food was crap, it was still a building site and the building noise was horrendous. We had to move our rooms twice and when I went to get a complaint form, they had run out due to the amount of dissatisfied people. there was no entertainment to speak of and believe me, you need something, because the place is in the back of beyond!! However the staff were lovely and the DR wonderful. I would go back BUT NOT THERE!!! In the meantime, I and many others have complained to BBC's Watchdog who apparently are taking up the cause. I feel ripped off to the tune of ?2,200 - that is really taking the PI**!!!

S

sue slinn

The place is a rip off and a dump. The food is inedible and it is still a building site!!

P

pat

Your remarks seem to be at odds with all the other reviews now being posted here and on other sites. Perhaps you are hoping to recoup some of your expenditure?

D

David

We returned from this hotel on 17th March and probably had one
of the best holidays we have ever had.

Accomodation was first class, food was excellent, beach was
idyllic and the people and staff could not do enough for you.
Building work was going on, it was totally unobtrusive.

Yes, I think some people moan and complain in order to get
some compensation. On our return journey a couple were complaining and advising another couple how to get money out of the tour operator. They were complaining about anything and everything and had even taken photographs of the building work to send to Airtours. Mind you, they had had to climb up onto the
roof of their room in order to see over the boarding which was obscuring the building work. They were wanting ?250.00 each compensation.

Nuff said!!!

S

Sarah Thomas

I'm due to go on May 8th and i don't know what to think after reading the abopve comments. it seems strange that there can be such a difference of opinion, especially about the food and the building work. I'd much rather have a brilliant holiday than claim for compensation!

Anyone with something sensible to say about the hotel, please tell me!

P

Paul

I am booked to go to this resort in August...and looking forward to it. I have been digging around for reports since January and I am totally reassured. The initial reports were not clever and obviously there were teething troubles, but the reports have got better and better and the most recent reviews on Debbies would seem to confirm this. In addition to this I spoke with several people who had been there before paying the remainder. Some people will always find something to complain about (like they dont expect mosquiteos in the DR?)..my advice would be to go and enjoy yourself...and if you stay clear of the Sue Slinn's of this world you will enjoy it more.

L

Lucy

Please ignore Sue Slinn

We had the most wonderful holiday, and thought the hotel, the food, the staff, the place, everything was fantastic. i have no idea how you can say different. I feel so sorry for you, that you are that stuck up and unappreciative of such a great place. I agree with Paul, and hope to God that no-one listens to your obviously warped views and ideas. I think you should really learn to enjoy life, and stop bloody moaning. I am so glad I didn't listen to people like you before I went, so anyone else who is going, take my word for it that unless you are incredibly picky and fussy, you'll have a great time.

P

pat

To Paul. We too go to the Sirenis in August. 24th to be precise flying from Manchester. What about you? This will be our 7th trip to the Dom Rep but first to the East Coast. Can't wait.

P

Paul

It seems like we will miss you Pat. We go on the first for two weeks so we will be back before you go. I will make a point of letting you know what it was like.

regards,

Paul

P

pat

Cheers Paul. Have a good time. Pack lots of insect repellant and suntan lotion. Love to hear your opinion when you return.

J

JoAnn

Re: Please ignore Sue Slinn

What a shame it is to be fortunate enough to travel to beautiful places of the world, yet to be so miserable. I cannot for the life of me understand how it is that a person can be waited on ... not have a worry about cooking, cleaning, or the everyday bothers of home and still have the audacity to complain. I think we must take into consideration that the Sue Slinn's of this world are just not happy people. I was in Aruba last year ... the resort where I stayed wasn't what I expected, BUT I was happy to be away and made the very most of my trip ... the staff was fabulous and I didn't have a worry for an entire week ... to me it was PARADISE. I'll be in Punta Cana in June and I intend to completely enjoy this PARADISE. Enjoy is what I say.

J

Jim Hinsch

Re: Up hill, in the snow, both ways ...

>>I cannot for the life of me understand how it is that a person can be waited on ... not have a worry about cooking, cleaning, or the everyday bothers of home and still have the audacity to complain. <<

When I was a kid, I had to walk to school without shoes, in the snow, uphill, both ways. All we had to eat was dirt, and we were glad to have it.

If my steak arrives well done when I ordered it medium-rare, should I complain, or should I just be happy I'm eating steak?

Pigs in mud is paradise to the pigs. Like the "it don't get no better than this" commercials, where a couple hillbillies are sitting out in them middle of a mosquito infested swamp, but they have Budweiser with them.

It's all a matter of what you are accustomed to. You sound easily satisfied. Some people have higher standards and expectations than others. That doesn't make them miserable people, or even unhappy people. They were just unhappy at that particular hotel.

J

JoAnn

I may be "easily satisfied", but that's because I think there are more worthy causes to bitch about. If you're expecting the Taj Mahal .... don't go all inclusive. That's all I'm saying.

L

Lucy

The point is Jim, that there is absolutely nothing about the hotel to complain about! Its not the fact that we, or anyone else, are 'easily satisfied', its the fact that the hotel was superb, and I cannot understand what more Sue Slinn could have possibly expected! I'm sorry, but if you are accustomed to places like the Plaza and Hilton etc etc, then if you have the money, which you must have, then don't book a hotel that you know is only just finished. We were pleased with the price of Sirenis, and believe it was worth every penny. Sue Slinn was able to see that Sirenis is cheaper than most of the 5* Dom. Rep resorts, so if she's that bloody fussy, then she should have paid the extra! She does sound like the typical moany type that start arguments with poor innocent waiters who accidently bring the wrong drink or something equally as petty. People, who are, very sad, whereas me and JoAnn enjoy what we have and appreciate it.

J

John

Lucy,

Could not agree more! Sue Slinn is clearly one of the few aristocratic, elitist snobs, who belong in Victorian billiards rooms sipping afternoon tea, that still remain in our society! Buck up your ideas, quit your moaning and be grateful you can afford 'so-called' 5* luxury hotels! I am not saying Sirenis is perfect, but it's obvious that your idea of quality is ludicrously excessive! I hope you don't expect so much of your partner - you're beyond help! Dozens of people I spoke to at the hotel praised it's all-round excellence with only a few hard-lined bitchy comments such as yours!

Best wishes!

John