How much is this 40in LED HDTV in the DR?

waytogo

Moderator - North Coast Forum
Apr 3, 2009
Santiago DR
Toshiba 40UL605 40in 1080p Ultra Thin LED HDTV on eBay Daily Deals

Toshiba 40UL605 40in 1080p Ultra Thin LED HDTV
Price: $588.99

It states on ebay that it has been discounted 58%, keep in mind that there is a standard 56% import tax on this tv unless it is shipped here as a gift from a DOMINICAN who can prove that he or she has not been in the D.R. for a minimum of 6 months. Since there is an airline rule for December that you cannot bring any boxes with you, you will have to pay between 150-200 U.S depending on the shipper to get it here. Then if there is a problem you don't have any warranty. I have tried to think of several ways to import a tv and it just doesn't seem logical. By the time you're done, the imported tv is probably going to cost the same.....without a warranty. To answer your question, at least twice the price.
I believe this is correct info, If I have the wrong info, please let me know.

B in Santiago and loving every minute

Reactions: mike l

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I did import a TV

I did import a TV about a year ago. By the time all was said and done I saved about $200 over buying it here at La Sirena. I would use a different importer if I do a larger item like that again. TransExpress is good for smaller items, but larger ones are costly for them to "re-pack" and ship and also painful to have them deal with customs. There are other threads about better companies to use that advertise here on DR1

BTW, It is a Panasonic Plasma 42 inch model and I have not had any problems with it.

Thanks for the heads up about LED TVs not working well with variable power. They don't sound like a good idea for the DR.

Jerry Albers

Dec 12, 2010
I bought 46' Toshiba at price smart in Santiago. Its like a costco - well. kinda. LOL.
i paid 50000 pesos. Took that right on the chin but it wouldnt fit in my suitcase.

Reactions: Tamborista

amparocorp

Bronze
Aug 11, 2002
i was in the TV dept of walmart yesterday.......what is being manufactured for the US market, top size is 55", last year it was 50 -52, prices about the same but you get more tv for the buck, Target had a 52 the other day for 600$ US. don't know or care about dpi....good luck to all with whatever transport you may use, i just put the prices out there because i want ya'll to understand what things cost.......

Olly

Bronze
Mar 12, 2007
La Serena in POP have the 40" LED Sony KDL -40 HX800 for RD$108995 and it comes with a Sony DVD DVPSR400P with one year warranty.

Hope that Helps

Mery Christmas

OLLY

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
La Serena in POP have the 40" LED Sony KDL -40 HX800 for RD$108995 and it comes with a Sony DVD DVPSR400P with one year warranty.

Hope that Helps

Mery Christmas

OLLY

make sure you have constant power coming out of your 110V Plugs at the house.
their warranty does not apply when your screen turns black every 15 minutes in the early evenings when the whole Barrio runs all eletrical power machines at home and the power supply goes down on it's knees as usual in most areas on the Isle.
at least on most machines you still hear the ound, it's just the screen that turns black.
the Ole Plasmas are out of Date and big Elec consumers, but yes, they been more reliable against the Power Ups/Downs.

even that we have 24/7/365 power here on the East,
there are some evenings when I am so really happy to still have the 12 years old Sony FatBoy in the corner of the Bedroom, it always shows everything connected after the modern crap show's black Screens in the rest of the house.

Mike
lately very pi$$ed about the functioning of some "modern Equipment" plugged into Caribbean Electricity

CFA123

Silver
May 29, 2004
Olly, the price on the 40" Sony KDL seems high to me.

6 months ago I bought a 55" Sony KDL-55EX501 price $120,000 at Pricesmart in Santiago.
(for comparison, same tv about $1700 in US (RD$63000) - half price of here)

trabajadora

Aug 29, 2007
Good price

Toshiba 40UL605 40in 1080p Ultra Thin LED HDTV on eBay Daily Deals

Toshiba 40UL605 40in 1080p Ultra Thin LED HDTV
Price: $588.99

I just bought this exact same TV via QVC; paid $559 for it but after taxes, it was $593 and change. Shipping was free but your price is slightly better if there were no shipping charges added. Now, I'm still wondering how much in total it would have been to buy it in the DR (of course I won't be sending or taking mine anywhere).

MikeFisher

Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
They have a few LED tvs here:

Cat?logo de Ofertas - La Sirena

:gulp: over US$4000? for a tv? You can get the same for less than 2g in the US...

those Rates/Calculations have a huge and significant mistake:
it does not matter how cheap a product is in the USA or in Canada or in Germany, because you still need to ship it to DR and pay Import Taxes in DR, insurance to not get it damaged on the way to the Isle, and:
Your Warranty is Valid at the Place where You bought the Product,
so if it receives damage after a few months or a year you need to ship it back to the Place where You bought it, I don't know if You then get again the Hassle of Taxes for an "other Import" or not, I never did such, and after the may be Free Warranty Reparation it will again be shipped on Your costs to the Isle, may again pass Import Taxes Hassles.
Summing All that Up show's to My own Logic that the best Deal is to buy such products here on the Isle, at a nearby local Dealer.
over the Years I found my local shops where I've been treated very satisfied in case of Warranty Reparations/Replacements of whole Equipments.
I just bought a New Fridge, deliverd as promised on Dec 24th in the early morning absolutely reliable, a Whirlpool 2 Doors with Icemaker, including the needed separate Pump for the Icemaker to connect the Botellon it costed me 80K Pesos including the extra for the 3 Years Warranty.
I bought it at the same Dealer in Bavaro where we bought LED TV's (sensible for non constant Power), Toves, Oven etc etc during the Years, the few times something didn't work their Service been great, last year I got a Flat repaired for just 800.- Pesos on the own Bill, even that the 3 Years warranty been expired since 7 months at that Time.
I would not take the Risks and Hassles to Import such Products from Europe or the USA, at the Moment something brakes down the last 3 Imported Great Deal Products been not made Worth the Process due the extra costs to get One of them Replaced or Repaired.
just my own Experience with Electronics and Householditems etc,
always open to hear success stories of Imports for better Rates.
I would also guess the cheaper/easier Importing goes, the lower the Rates here in the Country for the same Products will go after a while.

Happy Hollies

Mike

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Some of us like to take risks. I did and have no regrets on importing two TVs thus far. I am now aware of much better " Dominican" shipping companies such as those that advertise here in DR1 that would have made the experience even more cost effective.

When I moved here, I imported a container of my used stuff. Just about everything I brought is still working after many years.

MikeFisher

Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
Wait until that required little pump breaks. Buying a new one is insanely expensive.

Did you know that they are imported by one guy who has a deal with all the stores that sell them with the reefers?

True story. They all come from him. Talk about a captive market.

He also sells parts for them. While they are sturdy pumps, the plastic top you insert in the bottle is incredibly fragile. (ask me how I know)

Don't let your hired help get close to it.

thanks for the Hint with the Pump, JD,
such Tip can be worth a lot.
right, those lil pumps are expensive, 9K Pesos only for the Pump.
But such makes no difference in case of deciding to import or buy Local, but great to know about Your Experience with the lil thingy.
the Probs are so often located in the lil Details.
in case the Pump breaks I would get a new one when I buy replacement Fishing Taxkle as I do 2-3 Times per Year in Miami, so I would such bring in the Suitcase. thanks for the Hint.

Mike

CaptnGlenn

Silver
Mar 29, 2010
I'm always intrigued as to why a certain item, (usually some kind of electronics), are selected by governments / customs agencies to be taxed so heavily when imported. In the D.R. it seems to be flat screen T.V.'s. When I was researching Costa Rica, it was digital cameras, (the rules for bringing your personal cameras, even as a tourist, were insane.)

It seems to me if the government eased up on the import duties, it would be a win - win situation. Better prices for consumers... more sales... more imports... and in the end more revenue for the government. Too bad they can't see past the immediate present and the urge to price gouge the public.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
And now that tube type TVs have been outlawed for importation, the price gouging will be even more profitable on flat screen TVs.

Is it a government plot to keep the people uniformed?