the left lanes?

bochinche

Bronze
Jun 19, 2003
read this in the dr1 news section today (thursday 16th dec.):

"Controls will also be imposed to ensure that trucks drive on the left lanes of the highway. This has been proven to reduce accidents."

it is an extract from the paragraph about AMET launching a Christmas accident prevention operation.
it has been lifted from listin diario (was mentioned) and the original does in fact say the same in spanish.

am i reading it wrong? surely the left lane in the Dom Rep is, what in fact most people would call the "fast lane" in other countries. the lane where people would do their over-taking.

it is true that there isn't really a 'fast lane' for most drivers here. i know people who will only drive in that lane no matter how big a jam there is behind them.
it is probably true (sadly) that many people get hit on the autopistas wandering a bit too close too oncoming traffic. these people are usually, not always, drunk.

however, if all the lorries go down the left lane, surely the faster cars will come speeding down the right lane, with the probability of more chance of losing control...especially after taking out a couple of drunks on the way.

has it really been proven to reduce accidents?
or am i getting my lefts and rights mixed up again?

Reactions: SantiagoDR

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002
You're reading it wrong and don't worry about the criticism, the wife complains PJT reads it wrong all the time.

The Listin has it more or less as:

The authorities seek to further avoid heavy vehicles traveling in the left lane of the road, as it has been proven that if you travel the right side you are less likely to cause accidents.

Regards,
PJT

bochinche

Bronze
Jun 19, 2003
You're reading it wrong and don't worry about the criticism, the wife complains PJT reads it wrong all the time.

The Listin has it more or less as:

The authorities seek to further avoid heavy vehicles traveling in the left lane of the road, as it has been proven that if you travel the right side you are less likely to cause accidents.

Regards,
PJT

yes...i agree with you 100% now that i look at listin.com.do again......but i am sure it was written differently a short while ago.
well...if i did read it wrong....i think dr1 did as well :)

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
You read it correctly on DR1 News, so WHO is correct?

DR1 News said:
Controls will also be imposed to ensure that trucks drive on the left lanes of the highway. This has been proven to reduce accidents. The director of the AMET, Major General Jose Anibal Sanz Jiminian called on drivers to exercise prudence on the roads. Christmas is a peak time for domestic travel.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Today's news acknowledged the blooper:

Correction
In Thursday's news digest, DR1 incorrectly reported that truckers should keep to the left lane. It should have read right lane, as was observed in a commentary on the news in the DR1 forums.
The story, based on an item in Listin Diario, reported that the Metropolitan Transport Authority (AMET), the Police and the Emergency Operations Committee announced their joint prevention plan for an accident-free Christmas on Wednesday. It should have stated that controls were also being imposed to ensure that trucks drive on the right-hand lane of the highway as a proven accident prevention measure.