Connecting a cctv dvr to modem

JFD

Feb 10, 2010
Anyone knows how to set this up ? i have a OS linux based DVR (4 channels, 2 cams actually) and i want to be able to see the stream on my computer and my iphone. I obviously have to hook an ethernet cable between both, but there is also a set up which includes IP adresses, port, etc...
On the iphone i'm planning to use Aplayer app and on the computer... don't have a clue. I have an imac.

Thoughts ?

bachata

Aprendiz de todo profesional de nada
Aug 18, 2007
Anyone knows how to set this up ? i have a OS linux based DVR (4 channels, 2 cams actually) and i want to be able to see the stream on my computer and my iphone. I obviously have to hook an ethernet cable between both, but there is also a set up which includes IP adresses, port, etc...
On the iphone i'm planning to use Aplayer app and on the computer... don't have a clue. I have an imac.

Thoughts ?
The cameras comes with two plugs; one for the power source and the second one is where you are to connect the Ethernet adapter, you will need a long Ethernet cable to do the connection between your cameras and your router.
then you will have to visit the manufacture website to set up your devise subscription, this will be free if only apply for the basic plan.

I guess if you are using same video cameras system I just installed yesterday at my buddy's shop.

JJ

JFD

Feb 10, 2010
yep, the cctv set up is quite easy, it's a plug and play. You just have to hook the cameras to the DVR, the screen to the DVR (usually with a VGA cable) and the mouse. You need a power supply for the cameras but you can get it cheap locally at Cecomsa. My problem is the network part of the thing.
Almost forgot, i have a Thomson router.

beeza

Silver
Nov 2, 2006
I have a similar problem myself which is still unresolved.

I have a wifi camera, that connects to my apple time capsule. It works perfectly within the constraints of my home network, but viewing outside with another computer or my iphone is not possible because my ISP (Delancer cable) has blocked all ports upstream of my modem so I have a permanent NAT problem.

They have told me that they cannot open a specific port for me. They did offer a solution though. It somewhat cumbersome but it does work of a fashion.

I have signed up with https://secure.logmein.com/ It means that I have to keep my computer switched on and it is very slow, but it does work.

barcelona

Apr 12, 2006
Little bit off topic but I tested Foscam FI8904W outdoor wireless IP camera (bought for under 100 bucks on ebay) http://foscam.com/Products_List.asp?id=116

After setup it gets it's own IP and talks to the designated wireless router. By default it e-mails images if motion detection is triggered. If any of the computers connected to that router are on it will also record video on the hard drive. Camera is accessible on the internet 7x24 via a secured page.