where can i find a pet shop in santo domingo?

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
I have a macaw I will sell you...they are not cheap...

You can open the Clasificados section of the Listin Diario and on the second page they have pets...

HB

Bryanell

Bronze
Aug 9, 2005
i'm looking to buy a macaw or a african grey parrot.anyone know of a breeder or pet shop that i can find one?
thanks

On El Conde in the ZC, Plaza Lombas has a pet shop in there near the CAASD-ADN place. As you go in from the street it's on your right towards the end. You can't miss it, the smell is noticeable from the street!!
Bryan

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
i'm looking to buy a macaw or a african grey parrot.anyone know of a breeder or pet shop that i can find one?
thanks

FLOPRS, For the Love Of Parrots Refuge Society

I had neighbors who had a macaw.. a result of one too many magueritas in Florida on one vacation.. he was a delight until he reached adolescence.. then started screaming 24/7 for a mate..They had to get one for him and build them a great aviary and the bird hardly ever paid any attention to them after that...

Another friend had an African Grey.. albeit in Africa.. who had a vocabulary of over 200 words...used to answer the phone for them.. then started to fake answering the phone just to see the family members run up the hill.. He was finally eaten by a cat.. his last words were "cat,,,,cat got bird""

I always wanted an African Grey .. wanted a pet who would outlive me. Talked to my mom about their high intelligence and she said "I have met people who have vocabularies of less than 200 words/"

all that said.. I do not believe that either Macaws or Greys are indigenous to this island.. so you will be contributing to their being hunted and trafficed. I think that their import is banned into the US

AND you have to think of their age and yours .. since they can live to over 100 years.. Will you be able to provide for them in your will? They are very sensitive creatures and really bond...

So.. perhaps you might consider peach faced love birds? Which are not endangered in any way?

0r, of course, Hillbilly's macaw..

although you are going to have to REALLY question him on why he is willing to Sell so precious and intelligent a pet

chewy1818

Oct 26, 2017
Pet Shop

On El Conde in the ZC, Plaza Lombas has a pet shop in there near the CAASD-ADN place. As you go in from the street it's on your right towards the end. You can't miss it, the smell is noticeable from the street!!
Bryan

Sorry, but if you can smell a pet shop, it's NOT a good thing !!!

chewy1818

Oct 26, 2017
I am moving to the D.R. in 3 months and want to buy a baby bird. Does anyone know of a breeder?

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
thanks

I have a friend in LA with two large parrots that run his life.
They wait until he is on the phone and then start raising hell just to **** him off.
They manipulate and mess with him constantly.
He is one of those well meaning honest kind of people who just gives his pets whatever they want and is incapable of training them.
I watched one of his birds destroy the high back of a wooden kitchen chair in 30 seconds.
Both birds delight in scaring visitors.
Whenever I visit I bring a spray bottle filled with water for self defense. They see the bottle and leave me alone.
Good luck with finding one and lots of luck in ownership.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
I am moving to the D.R. in 3 months and want to buy a baby bird. Does anyone know of a breeder?
None in the DR I know of, and I asked around.

Your bets bet is a breeder stateside. Therea are numerous in FL, especially around my old stomping grounds in the Tampa area.

You'll also need to bring in your own food, Like Harrisons. All I've seen in the DR are seeds which should not be the staple of a birds' diet.

There are a few street-side vendors of the local parrots on the autopista, but they are illegal to possessnot to mention sell.

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
I have a macaw I will sell you...they are not cheap...

You can open the Clasificados section of the Listin Diario and on the second page they have pets...

HB
I paid $600 for a Double Yellow Head Amazon, $1200 for a Blue and Gold Macaw, $1700 for a Moluccan Cocatoo (the bird from hell) and $1000 for an African Grey. This was 20 years ago.

The African Grey became my favorite. They are not as pretty as other parrots, but much better behaved and incredibly intelligent.

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
all that said.. I do not believe that either Macaws or Greys are indigenous to this island.. so you will be contributing to their being hunted and trafficed. I think that their import is banned into the US
Not of they have a breeders certificate. Breeders protect these birds.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
I know parrots live long but we're going back to 2010 here....

some info may be outdated.... even if the parrot lives still

chewy1818

Oct 26, 2017
None in the DR I know of, and I asked around.

Your bets bet is a breeder stateside. Therea are numerous in FL, especially around my old stomping grounds in the Tampa area.

You'll also need to bring in your own food, Like Harrisons. All I've seen in the DR are seeds which should not be the staple of a birds' diet.

There are a few street-side vendors of the local parrots on the autopista, but they are illegal to possessnot to mention sell.
Thank you. I was going to bring in my bird from here but the permits from the D.R. are outrageously too cumbersome. They will quarantine the bird for 30 or more days and then God knows once they have the bird in their possession the fees can be astronomical and I was not having that.

I would appreciate it if you can find out for me since I am not in the D.R. yet. Thanks again.