A flight to Florida

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Well folks, me and the Mrs HB, got on one of them Spirit flights Wednesday morning over to Santiago International. It was cool. We checked in, breezed through Immigration and the "machines". You have to wonder, since I forgot RD$75 pesos in metalic coin in my little change pocket in my jeans...no bells went off.

Anyway, we had some $3 dollare coffee (you read that right"Three Dollars". )
And waited.

There was a body search...quick, no playing with the junk...before we got on the plane.

The flight was called early and we were on the plane at 3:30 a/m but we had to wait for some silly witch (I am being nice here) to get her ass on the plane before could take off.

Flight was nice and smooth. The landing was greased...one of the best ever. US ICE was quite nice and customs was non existant. All in all great, until I went outside to see if my daughter was there. Jaysus H. Keerayst! It was frreezing cold, near 32 F with a breeze...man oh man...

It has gotten a bit warmer but these insulated Florida houses keep the cold in, so it is warmer outside today that it is inside.

Culture shock is present, of course. The wide streets, 6 lanes, with stoplights ( four, five and six lights in each direction. No way you can say "I didn't see the light"...you'd have to be freakin' blind!!) that work and drivers that move when the light changes and nobody stoping to chat with a compadre on the side of the road...

Tomorrow, we venture to Sawgrass...

I am gonna make an apple pie, cook a rib-eye, and bake some potatoes...
and see who comes to dinner tonight.

Talk to all y' alls later,

HB from Florida, USA

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
.......... Tomorrow, we venture to Sawgrass...

Talk to all y' alls later,

HB from Florida, USA

Make sure you have comfortable walking shoes.
That mall is extremely large.

I used to work Security detail there on FOOT.

Then they realized I was a good driver and I was honored to be the Security Van driver most of the time.

Before getting a job as Security there, I used to round up the shopping carts and claim the reward from the machines (25 cents each back then, mid-1990's).

Blue Dolphin was the best entrance...... lol

Some great bargains at "BrandsMart" if you know what you are looking at for bargains.

Stay warm and don't forget Walmart!

A WalMart Supercenter was not in Fort Lauderdale area last time I was there.

Don - Tampa, Florida

DavidZ

Silver
Aug 29, 2005
www.vipcigartours.com
Luis...if you're real hungry when you're done with the Sawgrass shuffle, there are two all-you-can-eat steak-and-everything-else restaurants in the out buildings there...One is an Argentinian Steak house called The Knife, the other is a Brazilian Rodizio called FuegoVivo...I've been to both and they are both great...and incredibly cheap for the level of service, and the quality and sheer plentiful-ness of the food, but of the two, I prefer the Brazilian place...

And don't forget the Lindt factory Store inside the Mall!!! Bring back some chocolate to go with the Stogies and Porto!

trabajadora

Aug 29, 2007
Yeaa for you guys

Have a really great time in FL! I wish I was there too. It won't stay cold very long; I spoke with one of my best friends last night (she lives in Hialeah) and it was quite nice according to her. She's enjoying the break from all the heat! Anyway, it's better than where I am (Michigan). Happy Holidays to you and your wife!

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
Sorry thought you were talking about SawGrass TPC, not a mall. Either way enjoy your time in Florida with family.

Sawgrass Mall is in Sunrise Florida and is "Very" close to to the start of Alligator Alley

(Lot's of snakes and alligators along that road)

I lived in Sunrise on a canal, had a couple alligators in the water behind the house.
Even a snake in my garage one day. (4 footer)

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
Geez Don and we all thought you knew everything.

Once again Chip you did not read correctly what was posted.

You changed my simple statement of a historical fact to infer I did not know something.

I said, the last time I was in Fort Lauderdale there was no WalMart Supercenter there.

a statement of SantiagoDR said:
A WalMart Supercenter was not in Fort Lauderdale area last time I was there.

To be more precise, the last time I was in Fort Lauderdale I was informed that the closest WalMart Supercenter was in Pompano Beach.

No attempt was made to state whether there was or was not a WalMart Supercenter in Fort Lauderdale at the present time.

I did not say there were no WalMart's in Fort Lauderdale,
........ just not a SUPERCENTER, the last time I was there.

As a matter of fact, I believe if memory serves me correctly, there is a WalMart in the area encompassing Sawgrass Mills mall. My age old mind seems to recall shopping there, unless it's just a figment of my imagination.

My post was merely chit chat.................. informal English conversation.

You need to stop "reading things into" what you read, stick to what is actually written.
Attempting to "Read between the lines" can cause one to be mislead/misinformed.

D in Tampa/Santiago

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
Don you're always giving me a hard time about what I post so I thought I'd return the favor. :)

... but what you posted was implying something that I did not say!

So of course I posted back to correct that misconception.​

Anyway,

Luis I am waiting to hear how many BIG BUCKS you spent at Sawgrass Mills.....

Hope you kept enough to pay for your return ticket back to Santiago!!!!!!!

(I am assuming when you said venture to Sawgrass, you mant Sawgrass Mills mall)

Don

Last edited:

tht

Master of my own fate.
Oct 10, 2002
Planet Earth
Good to know Mrs and Mr HB had a smooth ride through US custom, that never happens to me, some of us are just suspicious by default I guess.:devious::devious:

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
I wish I was is shape to play the TPC at Sawgrass!! No, we'll be hitting a few balls and then playing a shorter course.
I turned down a Panthers and a Dolphins games, just to tired really.
We are in Lake Worth, a bit North of FLL, and there are Walmart Superstores nearby. Also Target, Costco and BJ's. I see that Winn-Dixie has closed several supermarkets in this area over the last few months. But there is a Sears, Dick's Sporting Goods, Home Depot and Lowes nearby...Never a lack for places to spend your money!!

A special thanks to DavidZ for telling me about the Lindt's store...I will make a stop there,,,

I usually just hang out at Books a Million and wait for the women to get tired. (New family joke: Don't give Mrs. HB one of the little u-drive carts in Walmart!! She knocked off at least three display cases cutting the corners too sharP!!!! HAHAHA...

Be well. Yesterday the temp at STI and PBI were the same: 77 F

HB

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006

At the Brooksville WalMart Supercenter many of those I see using the electric carts
reminds me of the movie "Wall-E".

oayjrl.jpg

D in Florida

ohmmmm

Bronze
Jun 11, 2010
I've got a second small home in Brookridge, which is just down the street from the Walmart in Brooksville... A neighbor emailed me and said the temperature was supposed to get down to 18 degrees at night a week ago... Don't know if it did, but wow! Those neighbors are thinking we have it so good over here in the DR. LOL

Reactions: SantiagoDR

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
Luis,
bring me Gator Steaks, PLEEEASE.
been a long while that I had a good one.

happy Holidays in what ever wetaher,
it is freakin' Cold AGAIN here in PC since this Noon.
a strong Northerner Wind, Ocean will get a Mess, and it will LAST.

Mike,

waiting to finally even see the need to shovel snow on x-mas morning here in PC

Reactions: SantiagoDR