Changes in Cabarete

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scooter

Feb 15, 2002
Since I spend most of my time in Cabarete, I thought I would start a thread to see what changes have been made in this town.

Let's try and keep it positive!

Thanks,

Scooter

hammerdown

Bronze
Apr 29, 2005
Well let's see, they put a sidewalk on both sides of the street in the Callejon de la Loma....construction on the new LAX is still going on.....the gift shop beside Hexenkastle was visited by a drive thru shopper this morning, and the car is still there....not much else to report at this time

oriole100

Bronze
Oct 9, 2005
There is a new large parking lot behind the Bon ice cream store. Thru the gate on the right. You have to pay, but it should improve the parking problem and help business in town.

Olly

Bronze
Mar 12, 2007
So what is happening about the bypass? I heard that at $12 million everybody would get their cut but it could be done for $6 million !!!

Olly

Aug 21, 2007
Cabarete is doing great, with lots of special activities going on each month. Today there was some sort of Expo on the beach.....had to go to Santiago instead, but I know lots of people who went. Nikki Beach is always sending out special events they have going on. Last weekend, there was a Christmas Celebration at Beach Palace, with a fashion show, wines, an art show, cigar "show", and someone doing nails. I understand it was well attended and much enjoyed.

Lots of activities are planned over Christmas week. I know you will enjoy your stay, Scooter.

Lindsey

DavidZ

Silver
Aug 29, 2005
www.vipcigartours.com
Well let's see, they put a sidewalk on both sides of the street in the Callejon de la Loma....construction on the new LAX is still going on.....the gift shop beside Hexenkastle was visited by a drive thru shopper this morning, and the car is still there....not much else to report at this time

I believe the construction is for Cabarete Blu, unless Lax bought their neighbor.

I was at the Expo today and it was a blast...lots of stuff to do for the whole family...sports clinics and exhibitions, good food, drinks, sweets, snacks, Christmas gifts bazaar, etc...and tonight and most of the day tomorrow are free concerts on the beach...it all continues tomorrow...

Aug 21, 2007
I believe the construction is for Cabarete Blu, unless Lax bought their neighbor.

I was at the Expo today and it was a blast...lots of stuff to do for the whole family...sports clinics and exhibitions, good food, drinks, sweets, snacks, Christmas gifts bazaar, etc...and tonight and most of the day tomorrow are free concerts on the beach...it all continues tomorrow...

Lax is moving into the area where the former Las Brisas restaurant was located. Don't know for sure where you mean, David, but Lax IS working on a move further up (or perhaps down, depending on your thinking) the beach.

I did see a bit of construction going on in a couple of places when I was there yesterday.

Lindsey

Tarheel

Dec 19, 2005
The great thing about Cabarete is no big changes. Same cool place it has always been. A super place to do nothing other than relax. I hope it is never discovered!

CFA123

Silver
May 29, 2004
I long for the Cabarete of yesterday.. (pre 2002)

Yep, before there was a Velero or an Ocean Dream... and the town ended at ProCab on one end and Azurro on the other... Las Brisas & New Wave, not Jose O'Shays and Nikki Beach.

Anyhow, in addition to some things mentioned earlier, the beachfront restaurant at Millenium Resort is open. Onno's is open again during the day for breakfast & lunch. Wow Bar has opened on the main road near the entrance to Callejon de la Loma with some local bands, karaoke night, tv's for sports events, etc.

In spite of tough economic times, Cabarete's still showing signs of growth!

DavidZ

Silver
Aug 29, 2005
www.vipcigartours.com
Lax is moving into the area where the former Las Brisas restaurant was located. Don't know for sure where you mean, David, but Lax IS working on a move further up (or perhaps down, depending on your thinking) the beach.

I did see a bit of construction going on in a couple of places when I was there yesterday.

Lindsey

OK, I didn't realize that...I was referring to Cabarete Blu, next to the current Lax, which is completely closed up, undergoing a major renovation...

windfinder

May 28, 2007
Anybody knows what went down @ Encuentro today ? 30- 40 Military members heavily armed and face masks tearing down Surf Shacks ?

Camden Tom

Bronze
Dec 1, 2002
You GOTTA be kidding me. No big changes? How long have you been around?

I long for the Cabarete of yesterday.. (pre 2002)
Isn't that the truth. When I first visited Cabarete about a dozen years ago, Janet's was on the far edge of town. Now it's pretty much in the middle of town. Housing units must be up 10,000%+. I agree, I miss the quaint village Cabarete was. Not to say I don't still love the place. I do.

ADECA

Apr 22, 2009
Let me answer a few questions on this thread.
1) The LAX owners are the ones who are doing the work in what was the old Brisas. It is intended to be the first closed-in disco on the beach. But the still keep the current LAX restaurant as is.
2) The by-pass road remains on government plans, but the estimated cost and the current fiscal problems of the government makes it questionable when if ever it will be built. The estimated cost is considerably higher than the previous poster mentioned because the current plan has a fair amount of the road elevated above the lagoon, a quite costly project.
3) The 40 military-police types in Encuentro this morning were carrying out an eviction order against Arismendy Monegro (Club Mendy) who has illegally occupied the land and charged rent to the surfer schools without being the legal owner of the land. Arismendy was also arrested for various other offenses today, after been a fugitive from justice. As I understand from a party involved, the legal owners have no objection to the continued operation of the surf schools, but that the demolition of the shacks rented by Arismendy was a necesary transitional step in the eviction.

Status
Not open for further replies.