trying to help a friend

Status
Not open for further replies.

ratata

Dec 18, 2010
Hi,

I am trying to buy a bed as a xmas gift for a friend I met in DR this year. I'm from Australia and spent 5 weeks in caberete this nov/dec. Long story short I became friends with his family and they helped me speak spanish, cooked for me, helped me around the area etc.

They don't have much money even by DR standards. I bought them some groceries and his mother cried because it meant so much. Anyway, I know it's only one family and alot of people struggle there but I figured I would do my bit and at least help them.

Anyway, the trouble I'm having is findind a place I can buy a bed and have it delivered to him. Most places in DR don't have websites, and my Spanish is really poor so it's hard for me to call a store to explain.

If anyone knows a place in the Puerto Plata area that would sell beds and a way I could contact them to organize this it would be awesome. Even if you could help translate or something that would be great. I'm hoping to spend less than $20,000 pesos. It would need to be a twin or queen sized bed. Ideally we could get him a small frame for the bed as well, something just to keep it off the floor.

Anyway if you have any suggestions or ideas please let me know. Your help is much appreciated.

thanks,
Rick

blacklilah

Jan 25, 2008
Pappaterra in Gasper Hernandez

They have good prices on a lot of household items, and they deliver to Sosua/Cabarete. I have no idea of the phone number though. I would assume they are listed somewhere, its a large store. There is another one opening in Sosua, but I was told that the prices are going to be higher here then the original one in GH.

hammerdown

Bronze
Apr 29, 2005
pm me your information, a friend of mine owns a ferreteria in Sabaneta, and he can deliver a bed for you, you can get a queen mattress with a frame that has drawers under it for around 15k pesos, and if you want pillow top then around 18k-20k pesos.

DMV123

Bronze
Mar 31, 2010
You can get a wooden frame, queen size and a mattress and the whole thing delivered for about 10,000 RD.

You need to have someone go to any one of hte small (numerous) furniture outlets and negotiate the price!

It does not have to cost that much money!

ratata

Dec 18, 2010
thanks everyone for your help. i checked with Ikea and they can do a mattress and and frame for about 22,000 with free delivery. there's probably cheaper ways to do it but i'll have to pay with a credit card over the phone and alot of places won't let me do that. cheers and merry xmas!

Reactions: Tamborista

Bronxboy

Jul 11, 2007
thanks everyone for your help. i checked with Ikea and they can do a mattress and and frame for about 22,000 with free delivery. there's probably cheaper ways to do it but i'll have to pay with a credit card over the phone and alot of places won't let me do that. cheers and merry xmas!

Great we could be of help!

Reactions: SantiagoDR
Status
Not open for further replies.