Currency

S

Sue

What is the best way to bring money into the country - Is it best to bring mostly US dollars Travellers cheques and currency in Dominican pesos or should I have some US dollars in cash for the day I leave the country. I understand I have to pay an exit fee in US dollars. Is this correct?
I have already purchased a tourist visa for the DR from the embassy in Britain.
Thanks
Sue

H

Henry

You will be welcome to bring USD Traveller Checks and USD in cash! Do not bring Dom. pesos, as this may cause problems at the custom (for you beeing a tourist), because it's still illegal to export DR$!!!!

You can change your checks and cash anywhere on the roads with money changers, which do have an office (don't trust the wild ones without offices!)or to the official rate in any banks!

When leaving the country, you will need to pay the USD 10.- Airport tax, which for reasons I do not know, they still collect in the old fashion way - in cash!

Have a nice stay!

J

Jim Hinsch

"Do not bring Dom. pesos, as this may cause problems at the custom (for you beeing a tourist), because it's still illegal to export DR$!!!! "

Dominican pesos are be bought and sold world wide. They can be bought and sold for example at Newark, JFK, San Juan, and Miami airport cash exchanges.

"You can change your checks and cash anywhere on the roads with money changers, which do have an office (don't trust the wild ones without offices!)or to the official rate in any banks! "

In tourist areas, changing money won't be a problem but it is not always easy to cash travelers checks in general and changing any currency is not always easy outside the tourist areas. Try it after 9pm for example while traveling along Autopista Las Americas. In Santo Domingo, most banks won't change US Dollars.

"When leaving the country, you will need to pay the USD 10.- Airport tax, which for reasons I do not know, they still collect in the old fashion way - in cash! "

Some airlines include this in the price of the ticket. The departure fee was US$15 from La Romana because it includes a $5 airport facilities charge. I'm not sure if the new airport also charges that way. Departure tax can be paid in Dominican pesos (I've paid it that way myself from time to time).

See the straight scoop on money in the Dominican Republic at www.BocaChicaBeach.net/money.html or click on the link below.

D

Doug McMichael

JIM, When you say they take D.R. pesos at the airports for departure tax fees, that is wrong, maybe they have accecpted D.R. peso's from you at time to time but i've seen it where they will not take anything but U.S. cash (i mean no canadien cash,no travellers checks, no credit cards)and U.S. cash only. Now i'm not saying that your wrong i'm saying at some airports at some times,with some staff there they have, on more than one occasion accecpted only U.S. cash and U.S. cash only. So I would say bring the departure fee in U.S. cash, just to be safe!

J

JOHN MONAGHAN

Jimmy You say that the Dominican peso is boutht and sold world wide. Then you mention four airports. Well, my friend, where are the other places the d.r. is accepted? Where can a tourist exchange their money to pesos,within a week, at a decent exchange rate other then a few international airports? You are trying to make Henry look dumb at the expence of your ego.

R

Richard

Can Jim Hinch can give one good reason why he would not cooperate with the Dominican government and pay the departure tax in U.S. dollars when the Dominican Republic, as do most developing nations need U.S. dollars so much. Surely a big part of being a good visitor is to be respectful of your host countries needs and requirements. Whever Jim Hinch is trying to prove doesn't impress me one iota. Fortunately most tourists will continue to pay the tax in U.S. dollars. Not paying the tax in U.S. dollars as the country prefers only furthers the concept of the "ugly American." (rules are for other people, not me")

J

Jim Hinsch

A law was passed last year that says that the departure tax can be paid in Dominican pesos and that Dominican pesos MUST be accepted.

I travel in and out of the Dominican Republic 1-2 times a month, it has been my experience that they universally accept either, and many people do pay in Dominican pesos. However, they will not always have change so you had better have exact change.

I've never heard of them accepting anything other than US$ and Dominican pesos.

If you go back into the archives, you'll see that this very subject was discussed to near exhaustion about the time this law came about and the bottom line was that the departure tax can be paid in US$ or Dominican Pesos.

J

Jim Hinsch

"Well, my friend, where are the other places the d.r. is accepted? Where can a tourist exchange their money to pesos,within a week, at a decent exchange rate other then a few international airports?"

You'll have to do that research yourself. Check the archives. I recall some posts from people that had ordered pesos from a currency broker prior to their vacation.

Henry posted that it is illegal to take Dominican pesos out of the country and that you expose yourself to potential problems with customs if you try to bring in Dominican pesos from outside the country. That is not true.

"You are trying to make Henry look dumb at the expence of your ego."

Are you suggesting we should leave false info on the board so as not to offend anybody?

R

Richard

Jim, it is not so much the info you give, it is the way you give it. There are ways to offer information without writing in a disrespectful manner. Contributors who take the time to post to this board are not looking for a class in "anything" 101 and deserve respect.

S

Sue

Thank you to all who contributed. I will order some US Dollars forthwith.
Hasta Luego
Sue