Wikileaks con Mangu

principe

Nov 19, 2002
Purportedly there are 1,675 wires from US Embassy in Sto. Dgo. of which we now know the content of 2. There are only 1,673 to go, 'my oh my how the mind wonders'.

In any event there have been a rash of DR officials whom have had their travel priviliges rescinded (le quitaon la visa), for hitherto only "rumored" reasons. Now that the "lid" has been blown off the first couple of wires, what do you think will be uncovered next?

aarhus

Long live King Frederik X
Jun 10, 2008
Purportedly there are 1,675 wires from US Embassy in Sto. Dgo. of which we now know the content of 2. There are only 1,673 to go, 'my oh my how the mind wonders'.

In any event there have been a rash of DR officials whom have had their travel priviliges rescinded (le quitaon la visa), for hitherto only "rumored" reasons. Now that the "lid" has been blown off the first couple of wires, what do you think will be uncovered next?

There is still a lot of places they can go where Dominicans dont need a visa.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
There is still a lot of places they can go where Dominicans dont need a visa.

But most don't won't to go to those countries.
Plus they will not be allowed to transit via the USA.

This effects those that travel to the USA and Europe for shopping or to see family etc.

I love it!!!

RacerX

Banned
Nov 22, 2009
I want to know how many concessions and kickbacks are given(stolen) by the electrical utilities and regulators.

And exactly how much was the buyout to use Spanish subway cars over Canadian or American ones.

PICHARDO

One Dominican at a time, please!
May 15, 2003
Santiago de Los 30 Caballeros
I want to know how many concessions and kickbacks are given(stolen) by the electrical utilities and regulators.

And exactly how much was the buyout to use Spanish subway cars over Canadian or American ones.

There were no "buys" for that one! Simply put they issued the credit for the gov to purchase it from them alone... The train cars were manufactured in several places and profited idled companies in those nations.

The US banks didn't offer a thing because the crisis had them broke!

About the other contracts? I agree! It will be interesting reading!

The train sets for the new L2 were also contracted via their banks, with their manufacturers implied as sole suppliers. When you do the financing, you don't need to "buy" the platanos... All the trains and equipment was quoted at discount prices over the last order from the Spanish Metro system, that was because as per EU rules, they were considered exports to countries outside of the EU market and not falling within the "open" bidding and related restriction imposed there.

The cost of the train sets and related hardware/systems for the SD Metro was at better rates than it was for the same system in Spain. So even when having to buy from them alone under the financing afforded, the DR didn't come out paying more or above what bidding would had enabled (given the comparison made to the costs related to the Madrid Metro and how it was conducted under the EU commerce laws).

Funny! Bombardier was approached by a DR Consul official about the cars for the Metro first, and all they could offer was good rates but nil on financing leads at all...

I like the Metropolis model over the USA and Canadian versions, for a heavy rail Metro system 100%... It's been talked about that under the Obama deal talked with Fernandez, along the help to the energy problem the USA is also willing to secure funding for a Santiago city Metro system, supplied with US and Canadian rolling stock and all other logistics. The DR already secured funds from France and two other nations involved for the Santiago - Santo Domingo HVT. But if the Obama administration wants it, they could just as easy use that rail system in the DR as test bed for US high speed technologies, to be used in their country later as well.

It all comes down to who offers the funds and under what soft conditions.

The French, Spanish, German and now Brazilians are doing the financing in order to spur their national industries and exports.

Believe me! If they all doubted that the SD Metro, HVT and Santiago Metro were going to be economically feasible, the L1 now in operations wouldn't be there and L2 not even dreamed about. The HVT is on the second phase of studies and pre-project step. They are all economically sound in a country where public transportation is a joke on wheels; intercity travel is unheard off unless aboard a bus or car, and commercial cargo is hauled by trucks 100% anywhere it needs to go.

The DR is after all an underserved emerging upper middle class nation and those that see the future growth and demands peak, know that their investments are sound in the long term.

I want to read up on the lesser contracts within the Metro construction, where many US based companies and suppliers got shut out in favor of even unheard before "startups" (well at least I'd never heard of them before).

It will do for very interesting reading!

principe

Nov 19, 2002
- -

IMHO little will occur in terms of repercussions, in any of the corruption cases to be found, except maybe in the case of narcotrafficking, and that is a big if.