"aid worker" on trial for pedophilia

getthesenets

Nov 4, 2010
Last week, an "aid worker" ,Paul Waggoner, was arrested on charges of kidnapping in Haiti...and last year a group of American missionaries tried to steal children out of Haiti during the chaos..were arrested and eventually freed.

Sometimes circumstances that bring out the best in people....brings out the very worst,also....

oct28protest.jpg

Five of Perlitz's victims detail abuse at his sentencing - Connecticut Post

douglas-perlitz.jpg

NEW HAVEN -- Five Haitian boys told a packed federal courtroom this morning of how Douglas Perlitz repeatedly had sex with them and warned them not to reveal those encounters. Perlitz is scheduled to take the stand this afternoon, as a federal judge weighs sentencing for the former humanitarian convicted of one count of abusing a boy at the Haitian charity he founded.

All told, the five boys, now in their early 20s, said the abuse went on for several years and started when they were as young as 11. Some said Perlitz encouraged them to have sex in exchange for money and favors. One boy testified that Perlitz would give him rum and coke to drink before sex.

The boys' testimony was so wrenching that one Haitian man in the gallery broke down in tears. One of the five boys, who were identified only by the initials of their names, said he believed Perlitz had sex with as many as 22 boys at his school and shelter. The boy testified he was pressured by staff there not to reveal the abuse.

Prosecutors want U.S. District Judge Janet Bond Arterton to send Perlitz to prison for more than 19 years, saying he preyed on some of the world's most vulnerable children for years.

The boys said the abuse usually occurred at Perlitz's house but that at least one sexual encounter occurred in his office at the school. Some of the boys testified that Perlitz warned them they would be thrown back on the streets of Cap-Haitien to fend for themselves if they were to disclose the sexual encounters.

When Perlitz entered the courtroom, which was packed with about 150 people, he was wearing a black, V-necked sweater, white shirt and tie and dark slacks, his hair trimmed to a crew-cut. About 15 or so friends and family members were in court to support him.

He is scheduled to testify in his own behalf this afternoon.

Arterton accepted one of the prosecution's arguments for a tougher sentencing for Perlitz -- that his victims were very poor and bereft of any legal and social service protections. But the judge rejected a prosecution assertion that another sentencing "enhancement" should be the threatening remarks Perlitz and his brother made toward prosecutors during phone calls made from prison. Arterton said those remarks did not constitute an actual plot to harm officials.

The Fairfield University graduate has been in prison in Rhode Island since he was arrested on sex tourism charges in September 2009. He pleaded guilty to one count of traveling with intent to engage in illicit sexual conduct.

Perlitz's attorneys urged the court to impose a sentence of 8 to 10 years, saying despite the crimes he also helped street children in Haiti. They also cited a "dark and abusive" relationship he had with a priest when he was in college.

Perlitz -- who graduated from Fairfield in 1992 -- was honored in 2002 with a doctorate and named commencement speaker at the university for his work in Haiti. In addition to his guilty to sexually abusing one of his male students, he acknowledged abusing at least seven others. The school, Project Pierre Toussaint, was set up by Perlitz to educate, feed and clothe homeless street boys in Cap-Haitien, Haiti's second largest city.

In sentencing recommendations filed prior to today, prosecutors and defense attorneys presented sharply conflicting view of how Perlitz had gone from a nationally recognized humanitarian to a man who acknowledged he had sex with his charges.

On Monday, David Grudberg and William F. Dow, III, Perlitz's lawyers, dropped a bombshell in reasoning how their client came to sexually abuse students at his Project Pierre Toussaint, a program to educate, feed and clothe homeless street boys in Cap-Haitien, Haiti's second-largest city. The reasons, the lawyers wrote, include a "dark and abusive relationship," both "physical and spiritual," with an unnamed Fairfield University priest that began in 1988 and continued through the Haiti years.

No individual was identified in the court papers filed by Perlitz's lawyers. But the Society of Jesus, New England Province and Fairfield University announced investigations into the Rev. Paul Carrier, who spent 20 years at the school as an instructor, chaplain and director of campus ministry.

Carrier has not been charged with any crime. He has been suspended by his order.

The prosecution team dismissed the claims by Perlitz's attorneys.

"It is simply inexplicable how any of those three purported explanations (sexual abuse by a priest, stress of working in Haiti and living up to being the face of Christ on earth) could cause anyone, let alone a person who professes to devote his life to those less fortunate, to sexually exploit children," prosecutors responded Thursday. "Rather, the evidence demonstrates that Perlitz began abusing minors in or about 1998 even before the school he founded was constructed.

"Given the evidence in this case, the more plausible explanation is that Perlitz is a sexual predator who traveled to Haiti because that is where some of world's most defenseless children reside; that his relationship with the religious leader provided him with ... connections ... (to) run his own charity where he could control and access children; that the protection Perlitz received from the religious leader and the money that he received in Haiti decreased the likelihood of discovery ... and that Perlitz's position in a community that regarded him as the `face of Christ on Earth' would ensure continued donations and supports of the school," the prosecution team maintained.

Last week, lawyers for Perlitz downplayed threats and disparaging remarks he and a younger brother made against two federal prosecutors in telephone conversations recorded last summer at the Wyatt Federal Detention Center in Rhode Island.

Instead, Grudberg and Dow blamed the heated comments on emotion and frustration stemming from the defendant's arrest, detention and eventual conviction for sexually abusing homeless Haitian boys in a program he established to help them. Prosecutors had said the threats justified giving Perlitz a tougher sentence.

getthesenets

Nov 4, 2010
found guilty

Man Gets Nearly 20 Years In Haiti Sex Abuse Case

by The Associated Press
text size A A A
NEW HAVEN, Conn. December 21, 2010, 06:12 pm ET

A Colorado man was sentenced to nearly 20 years in prison Tuesday for sexually abusing children at a school he founded in Haiti, including some who faced him inside the courtroom and testified that he threatened to expel them if they did not submit to his advances.

Judge Janet Bond Arterton called Douglas Perlitz a serial rapist and molester as she imposed the sentence in New Haven federal court.

Perlitz, 40, apologized to his victims before the sentence was handed down. He said he knew his crimes were horrible but pleaded for leniency nevertheless, asking the judge to consider the good work he did in the impoverished Caribbean nation.

"They say a convicted sex offender has no future, but I would like to try to prove people wrong," he said. "At times I would rather die than carry this burden to be honest."

Perlitz admitted in August that he engaged in illicit sexual conduct with eight children who attended the Project Pierre Toussaint School for homeless children in Cap-Haitien.

Now a resident of Eagle, Colo., Perlitz founded the school in 1997 when he lived in Fairfield County, Conn. Authorities said he began abusing the children in 1998 before the school was built.

Six of his victims ? now young men ? were flown to Connecticut and detailed the abuse they suffered.

"He always told me, `Don't tell anybody about it. If you tell anybody about it, I will put you out on the street,'" one victim said through a Creole interpreter. He said Perlitz first abused him in 1998 and once sodomized him after plying him with rum.

Another victim said Perlitz started abusing him on his 14th birthday in 2004. He said he struggled with feelings of shame and thought about suicide, especially when he read the Bible.

"I am here today to tell the truth. Because of the truth I can find justice," he said. "He hurt us a lot."

Perlitz was arrested last year and pleaded guilty to travel with intent to engage in illicit sexual conduct, a crime that carries up to 30 years in prison.

Prosecutors had asked the judge for a prison sentence of nearly 20 years, saying Perlitz preyed on some of the world's most vulnerable: Haitian street children with little or no family support or education.

The judge said she handed down such a lengthy sentence partly because interviews conducted by prosecutors indicated that Perlitz abused at least 16 children.

Authorities said Perlitz enticed the impoverished children into sex acts by promising food, shelter, money, electronics and other items of value, and then threatened to withhold benefits and expel them if they spurned his advances.

"Perlitz's sexual abuse of minors, abuse which lasted for a decade or more, shows him to be nothing more than a wolf in sheep's clothing ? an American man who traveled to Haiti purporting to care for homeless children when in reality he preyed upon the desperation of these children so that he could sexually abuse them," prosecutors wrote in their sentencing request to the judge.

Perlitz's lawyers asked for a sentence of about eight years, saying that Perlitz also helped many children.

His attorneys wrote in their sentencing brief that the government's "one-dimensional portrait of him as a monster driven solely by illicit sexual desire runs counter to what experience tells us about the human condition: that behavior may rarely if ever be explained so simply, and that most of us, including defendants accused of serious crimes, may only be fairly sketched in shades of gray."

Perlitz said in a pre-sentencing statement that a factor in the crimes was his "dark and abusive relationship" with a priest he met while attending Fairfield University, according to prosecutors.

Perlitz's lawyer said that he had "confusion and shame about his sexuality, and struggles with his identity; an ongoing, complicated and exploitive relationship with an influential priest; and increasing isolation and pressure while in Haiti."

May 29, 2006
It's a confusing thread because the charges against Paul Waggoner seem not to be rational or based on reality. In the Paul Waggoner case, a doctor witness the death of the child he is accused of kidnapping and the father did not believe the doctor was telling the truth. Ironically, Paul Waggoner was arrested for assaulting a self-admitted Haitian pedophile.

American Paul Waggoner held in Haiti on kidnap charge | Herald Sun

This pedophile case with Perlitz is very disturbing of course.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
As is typical anymore inevitably the interest on the relief effort in Haiti are the statistically few who would harm others as if there were no pedophilia (or child kidnapping) already in existence there. It's a shame that all the good work by well meaning volunteers goes by unnoticed for the most part and worse are slandered as a group by a handful of miscreants.

woofsback

Bronze
Dec 20, 2009
i always find it amusing that when they get caught and sentenced,
they are sorry for thier sins
one time you make a mistake...more than one time it's a habit...
no excuse for it period...mind you...he'll get his inside :)

and like what was said earlier...
it is a shame that one bad apple hides the good of many

getthesenets

Nov 4, 2010
It's a confusing thread because the charges against Paul Waggoner seem not to be rational or based on reality. In the Paul Waggoner case, a doctor witness the death of the child he is accused of kidnapping and the father did not believe the doctor was telling the truth. Ironically, Paul Waggoner was arrested for assaulting a self-admitted Haitian pedophile.

American Paul Waggoner held in Haiti on kidnap charge | Herald Sun

This pedophile case with Perlitz is very disturbing of course.

When I first read the Waggoner case....the article mentioned that he had assaulted a registered sex offender....but, and this is where so called objective press picks sides....the article failed to mention that

But court records reveal a man prone to violence.

In 2006 he was charged by Nantucket police with domestic assault for choking an ex-girlfriend and smothering her with a pillow, a charge that his attorney, Michael Wilson, said was dismissed when the victim declined to go forward with the case.

2 sides of Haiti detainee - BostonHerald.com

and when I read about the domestic violence charge...I started looking at the story in a different light.

I also read that when the father initially accused him, Waggoner fled the country fearing physical violence...and then returned. I figured that he would alert the US embassy or at least an attorney in America that there were legal issues possibly if he returned to Haiti.

Case is odd.

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
Reading this thread is a little confusing.

Two different people are being talked about at the same time.

So, was one of them another "Catholic Priest" or just a "Wanna-be-Priest" that preyed on the Haitian children?

greydread

Platinum
Jan 3, 2007
Since the crimes were committed in Haiti, I hope that when they get their government in order he can be extradited to serve his time there. It'll definitely shorten the length of his sentence (and his life) and the taxpayers of Connecticut won't have to provide housing, medical care and food for this creature.

getthesenets

Nov 4, 2010
Reading this thread is a little confusing.

Two different people are being talked about at the same time.

So, was one of them another "Catholic Priest" or just a "Wanna-be-Priest" that preyed on the Haitian children?

Douglas Perlitz was convicted.

================================================

I brought up the recent arrest of Paul Waggoner...and the case of the American missionaries who were caught trying to sneak Haitian children into the DR and into America in the aftermath of the quake.

Waggoner hasn't been convicted of ANYTHING....but weird set of circumstances in his case.

If the child was buried...he could be exhumed and dna tests could be done...but the attending physician says that he was cremated.

With all the dead bodies during the quake.....and limited cemetary space...you figure that unclaimed anonymous adults might be cremated...but a bit odd that a child with known parents would be cremated.

getthesenets

Nov 4, 2010
UPDATE

Paul Waggoner FREE and CLEARED of all allegations

An American man that was held in a Haitian prison under investigation for turning a man's son into a zombie, has been freed and returned to the United States.

"It was something else, it was pretty crazy," Paul Waggoner told KIRO Radio's Ron and Don Show.

Waggoner sold his construction company in America to travel to Haiti and volunteer after the Jan. 12 earthquake that left Haiti in ruins, to co-found Materials Management Relief Corps.

Waggoner said that on Feb. 23, a 4.7 magnitude earthquake hit, which caused an influx of patients to the hospital where he was working.

"We continued to get more patients coming in with new injuries," said Waggoner, who was helping move supplies and direct patients. He was not involved in any treatment. "By the time I came back out with some O2, the doctors had called the kid expired."

According to Waggoner, the father, Philistin, who had brought his son, Keevins, didn't have money for a funeral, and he asked the hospital to take care of the boy's body. Without a refrigerated room, the hospital incinerates the deceased after about 12 hours.

Waggoner said that even though there was a death certificate authenticated by the hospital, the father came back the following day and accused Waggoner of harboring the child, harvesting his organs, and keeping him in a secret place.

When Philistin first filed his case, a Haitian judge looked at the evidence and dismissed the charges. "It was completely taken care of the first time," said Waggoner.

Waggoner left the country fearing retribution from the from Philistin, but returned soon after. Philistin had taken his case to court again, and a judge unaware of another judge having already dismissed the charges, decided to open a three-month investigation into the allegations. Haitian law allows defendants to be imprisoned without charge during investigations.

During his 18 day stay in one prison, Waggoner said he often saw ambulances, "they pulled out two bodies a day," from what he guessed were either fights within the prison or the rampant cholera outbreak currently affecting Haiti. Afterward, he was transferred to another prison, and eventually released.

Waggoner said the harrowing experience won't keep him away. "If the government gave the paperwork saying that this will never come up again, and I'm going to get everybody copies of it, our people, Canada, BP, something to carry around with me, if that happened I'd absolutely go back."

"I honestly believe that [Philistin] believed the stuff that was coming out of his mouth," said Wagoner. "I definitely believe the father is suffering from PTSD, or some kind of mental condition."

Philistin's fate, however, is up in the air, "They're going to pursue charges on the father, so that other people don't pull the same stuff."

=================================

audio of an interview with Waggoner on local area radio is here

http://mynorthwest.com/?nid=153&p=11&t=search&k=waggoner

May 29, 2006
Are there any facts to support this or are you just throwing it out there?
I'll wait.

Waggoner pleaded guilty to a single charge of assault and battery, and was issued an 18-month suspended jail sentence and two years' probation, the newspaper reported.....

"He got the assault and battery charges because he beat up a pedophile," Sebring said in an interview with AOL News. "LP was on a construction site. This guy was talking about a little girl he molested, and LP lost it and beat the crap out of the guy."

Paul Waggoner, US Worker Held in Haiti Jail, Says He's Being Extorted

I used this amazing search engine call "Google." Took almost three clicks to find it.

getthesenets

Nov 4, 2010
Paul Waggoner, US Worker Held in Haiti Jail, Says He's Being Extorted

I used this amazing search engine call "Google." Took almost three clicks to find it.

Specifically what I was asking, "self admitted Haitian pedophile"?

The assault & conviction took place on American soil...probably in Mass.
Where is the race or ethnicity of the pedophile mentioned. I'm not trying to argue, but the same way I followed, updated and clarified the case and charges against Paul...I was asking you to clarify that the victim of the assault was a Haitian scumbag versus being an unidentified anonymous scumbag.

If you can clarify, thanks in advance.

getthesenets

Nov 4, 2010
now THIS is a Haitian scumbag

1292535496553.jpg

Frantz Philistin The father who accused Paul of kidnapping/trafficking his son.

If there is ANYTHING on earth lower than violating children, it is FALSELY accusing somebody of violating children. Frantz Philistin is human garbage and I'm gonna follow and update this case to see if he gets punished to the fullest extent of the law.

wuarhat

I am a out of touch hippie.
Nov 13, 2006
now THIS is a Haitian scumbag

1292535496553.jpg

Frantz Philistin The father who accused Paul of kidnapping/trafficking his son.

If there is ANYTHING on earth lower than violating children, it is FALSELY accusing somebody of violating children. Frantz Philistin is human garbage and I'm gonna follow and update this case to see if he gets punished to the fullest extent of the law.

Earlier you quoted the victim of Philistin's behavior as believing that he is suffering from PTSD. I don't think Waggoner is an MD, but if he is correct in this assesment of Philistin, I disagree with the scumbag label.

May 29, 2006
Specifically what I was asking, "self admitted Haitian pedophile"?

The assault & conviction took place on American soil...probably in Mass.
Where is the race or ethnicity of the pedophile mentioned. I'm not trying to argue, but the same way I followed, updated and clarified the case and charges against Paul...I was asking you to clarify that the victim of the assault was a Haitian scumbag versus being an unidentified anonymous scumbag.

If you can clarify, thanks in advance.

Ahh... OK. Now I get what you mean and you're right. It does read that it was an American that was assaulted. I read it happened on a construction site and because of that, I assumed wrongly that it happened in Haiti. Sorry about the google snipe.

getthesenets

Nov 4, 2010
Ahh... OK. Now I get what you mean and you're right. It does read that it was an American that was assaulted. I read it happened on a construction site and because of that, I assumed wrongly that it happened in Haiti. Sorry about the google snipe.

no worries, Peter.