• Thread starter plze xpln y gvnmnt allwz ths
  • Start date

Pet Peeve

P

plze xpln y gvnmnt allwz ths

Before I start and then get trampled on b/c of my insert I want everyone to know that I love this country and vacation there 3x a year, so don't diss me I am just annoyed and want an explanation

I am annoyed with the government or whom ever is responsible. Here you see on the message board someone offering a job and a place to live all nice and nice fine, now explain to me as to why people want to move there and Dominicans are trying to get out of there country by many forms, look at the other day the boat of people trying to get to Puerto Rico that now only 2 survived by eating those who had died, they are either trying to get on planes in the luggage compartment, marriage, or floats. If there are so many jobs why are they not offered to the citizens of the island? I think that it is not fair that people migrate there but don't help out the natives.

Mr. President should do something for his people and turn the country around asap b4 it turns immigrants running instead of Dominicans themselves.................

H

Henry

poor dominicans?

You have a lot of nice ideas - but I guess you never lived here and had employees - then probably you would know the difference!

It is very hard over here to get the right people for the right job and finally have them honest! Lets put it that way - you seek through 10 people to get 1 suitable for you!! And this only for average educated levels! (or even less!) Good quality people and responsible workers are very hard to find!

The other fact is, that a mayor part of the dominicans are unwilling to work for their money rather than stealing it or abusing it! Lets say an beggar with one leg missing is probably making more money with tourists than a regular person working in a local workshop! You see, everybody is trying to make the easy way without working (to much). Let say it in numbers approx. 7 out of ten are trying to get the money from others without doing anything!

Now to the migration problem - the dominicans see the tourists spend their money over here and not doing nothing and beside of this heard or have seen development projects funded by overseas instititutions and that makes them believe, the money is where are the tourist do come from! If an dominican has set the idea of moving to other countries, it is almost impossible to change his mind (all personal expierienced).

You see, apart from all the recently upraised problems buy the new party, which are highly questionable to me anyway, we are looking at an very old problem with old habits hard to kill!

I think, this country would get fast forward with a different attitude to private property and justice and law enforcement! Then a little less development aids from overeseas and those people would have to work by themselves - hey, this country is richer than Switzerland - it has Amber, Larimar, Gold, Ore and a never ending seashore! (apart from the very productive agriculture!!!!!!)

B

Bobs

Re: poor dominicans?

Yes Henry...... and don't feel just fine, patr?n, surrounded by all them lazy, averagely educated, poor quality nitwits with their ma?ana-mentality, constantly stealing you blind, plundering tourists and insulting your above-average intelligence, begging themselves into prosperity and riches !!

Ehhhhh.....So,....what do you suggest as the (final) solution ?
( Todo en broma, nada en serio, OK ? )

H

hillbilly

Neverending question. No easy answers

If you consider that each one of those dead boat people paid an average of 5,000 to 10,000RD$ to take their last trip, you really have to wonder, don't you?

How could they have that much money in the first place? Why not set up a "Paletera" on a busy corner? There is an ex-school teacher selling oranges here in Santiago, and making more money than most college professors. No tax, no overhead, all free and clear. Stories like this are all over the country.

As one poster has said, it is difficult if not impossible to change a mind set.

Anyone ever think about some Pilgrims back in 1620? Talk about balls!! Leaky boat, overcrowded, took wrong turn and ended up hundreds of miles to the north of where they were heading. Ever wonder about those that took other boats and just disappeared?

For too many of the folks here, America (North America) is the land of milk and honey.

Is is difficult to get good jobs here? Yes and no. With a High School diploma (scarce in and of itself, in spite of free education thru 12th grade) there are jobs in many places. A driver's license increases the chances.

Yet, you absolutely MUST understand the level of ignorance (not, repeat NOT education) in the land. The most listened-to program for the past 40 or more years is "Radio Mil Informando" in the early morning hours. Even with TV, this program still has a larger audience. What does it do? They READ THE PAPERS!!!

Even our, newly arrived friend Walker has a boss that reads from the paper on his show in the early morning, as do most if not all of the early morning TV programs. One of them even has huge blow-ups of the front pages, and then the guy points to the news story. The whole country is, generally speaking, quite ignorant. Here is another fact: There are lots of newspapers, about 7 or 8 at last count. Their TOTAL daily run is less than 400,000 copies in a land of over 8,300,000 people!!! While laughable, it is also sad.

These realities translate into a work force that relies on the spoken word for instruction, that is incapable of following detailed, written orders, and that, generally speaking, have a hard time with many things taken for granted in developed (Europe or North America) countries. Things like punctuality and consistancy for example.

There are NO easy solutions for any of these problems. Nothing but education, education and education. And this costs....both time and money-big time!!!
Ask Natasha, I am sure she can tell you about the difficulties of educating a population...

HB

L

linamia

Re: These posts are WAY too hard on the DR people!

I guess those of us who work our asses of don't matter much to the so prosperous tourist, who comes to our country to take advantage of the cheap labor, Since most of you feel so superior in intelligence what the @#$$ are you doing in our country exposing your self to inferior quality. Let it be known that if we were such lazy people and wanting everything that the gringo tourist had we would not be braking our backs in other countries to keep our family afloat. The Dominican that I associate with are all hard working people that have seen the fruit of their labor I don't know what Dominicans you associate yourself Henry but you know what they say "Dime con quien andas y te dires quien Eres"

M

me

DOMINICAN PEOPLE

THERE ARE GOOD AND BAD IN EVERY NATIONALITY AND AS FOR DOMINICANS THERE ARE ALOT MORE BAD THEN GOOD THEY NEED TO GET OFF THERE AS_ AND WANT TO WORK INSTEAD WHAT THEY DO IS SEND THERE WIFE AND KIDS OUT TO BEG FOR MONEY.WE GO DOWN THERE FOR VACATION NOT TO HAVE PEOPLE HOUND US FOR MONEY OR TO ROB US CAUSE THEY THINK WE HAVE MONEY WE WORK FOR WHAT WE HAVE AND THATS WHAT THEY SHOULD DO

M

MisterTonite

I am Puertorican but I must say that the Dominican people I've come across with have been all hard working people. I really respect them for what they do. They come here to the States and look for work to help out there families back home. Almost all the cab drivers where I live (Bronx) are dominicans and lots of stores and spanish restaurants are Dominican owned. They stick together and look out for eachother.

D

Donald C.

Dear Me:
We have to be careful when making such statements. Your word are hurting a lot of people. I have seen so many natives working in and around the hotel for long hours underneath that hot sun for little pay. Often enduring the work with an attitude that defies logic. I have witness taxi drivers on motorcycles in
90degrees + weather making a living picking up passengers.
Men and women making pennies and saving their money to send
to their spouses and older parents. The relationship between beggars, hustlers, and prostitutes around rich (percieved)tourist have been going on since the beginning of time in ancient Rome, Greece, Athens, and Egypt. Sometimes as tourist we make the problem worst. What makes you think the problem wouldn't exist in the D.R. Also please don't fall into the trap of thinking that the natives who work by the hotel represent all Dominicans.Until you go beyond the parameters of the hotel towns, get to know the professionals, students from the universities, artist, even the common man walking down the street with his children. You really won't know who they are. We keep forgetting that circumstances, environment,politics and lack of opportunities can have a tremendous impact on our lives. Please becareful with such comments.I have heard them said over and over again and each time either I hear a different race or a different country being mentioned and it is often a "third world country" who is being exploited in one way or an other. Such comments are never healty or bring any good. Such comments often reinforce stereo types. Someone who read your post may decide not to visit the D.R. and you and I both know that would be a shame.

Donald

M

me

Donald

I didnt know my post would hurt someone i didnt mean any harm by it all i was saying is that the men need to do what they have to do i know dominican men living in the states are good providers and most of them came from over there so if that is the case why dont the men over there do it

D

Donald C.

Re: Donald

It's okay Me.

I understand. Perhaps I took it the wrong way.
I guess certain issues when expressed certain ways can
easily be misunderstood. I understand your point and thank you for your clarification. I have to agree with you on that one.
Being raised in a single parent home can be a tough experience to go through and yes the men should provide for their offsprings and women.I guess being a family man and all it is a very upsetting thing for you witness.I hope your vacations will continue to be pleasant ones and everything goes well for you and your family.

Donald

W

William Leslie

Re: Neverending question. No easy answers

If things around the rest of the island are like the north coast area and it seems to me it is then educaion is the problem. In our areas the majority of Dominicans do not have primary education and therfore can not qualify for the jobs that require education skills. YES they work hard as Taxi drivers, motoconchos and dozens of service jobs BUT can not work a computer, do bookkeeping or manage office staff or do dozens of other jobs. They MUST have better education AND IT IS SLOWLY HAPPENING. Not only that but I see (or it appears to be) many more women in Univesities than men who are beginning to grauate and take more important places in society. But as in all our societies if you do not have higher than primary grade education you are on the street so to speak and doing hard physical and menial work for very little money. As you know in North American even with a high school education it is hard to get good work.
But there are going to be many thousands of relatively uneducated persons for decades to come EVEN if the govt changed things today. And that results in big unemployment and many times the resultant levels of crime go up as well.

C

CES

Re: Neverending question...(Hillbilly:)

Recent message threads and posts to this forum are demonstrating a level of understanding and/ or information that's giving DR1 a maturing "ring" (speaking with a certain authority on a given subject).

As to the "trashing" of the Dominican Rep. and Dominicans in general let me say this: I live in northern California (ranked number six as a political/ governmental entity in the world) in a relatively prosperous community and undeniably, by most any measure, have a good standard of living. This being the case, however isn't my automatic approval of the way CA. conducts business and state politics. Quite to the contrary, I'M VERY displeased with the way things are going in the "Golden State", a laundry list of formidable ills is plaguing the state and her citizens presently.

The " Campesino Dominicano" thread fits in nicely with this thread and especially this post:

Re: for Natasha: long post

Posted By: D.D. <r.farms@codetel.net.do

Date: Wednesday, 21 March 2001

>>> mailto:r.farms@codetel.net.do?subject=Re: for Natsha: long post <<<

Regards,

. . . CES

ps. . . HB, Mrs. CES sez' that newspapers are too expensive in the DR, your thoughts? ? ?

>>> "There are lots of newspapers, about 7 or 8 at last count. Their TOTAL daily run is less than 400,000 copies in a land of over 8,300,000 people!!! While laughable, it is also sad." <<<

D

DR-VETERAN

had a special sales event this month.put an ad in the paper.80 people called 25 showed up.all with no true sales or any other real work experience having jumped from one job to the next with short working times and long unemployed times.selected the 6 best of them with a base salary of rd$ 4000,00.how many showed uped?NONE!!
that's what the unemployed work force is.a bunch of zeros good for nothing.
the good workers have their job and always find a job.

D

DR-VETERAN

Re: Neverending question...(Hillbilly:)

papers to expensive?don't know.advertising definitly.60% rate hike in the last 3 years!!

W

Walker

Willian Leslie

Willian Leslie, un hombre observador, justo, desapasionado.
Gobiernos apoyados por la rancia elite economica del pais y poderes extra nacionales, han usado gran parte de los recursos que genera la nacion, para enriquecimiento propio.

Eso nos ha dejado como secuela falta de una politica coherente para atacar la pobreza, que solo se lograra cuando cada familia sea obligada a enviar los hijos a la escuela, con el soporte economico necesario.

Avanzamos, aunque lentamente. Con sus defectos, Leonel-Hipolito son mejores gobiernos que Trujillo-Balaguer.

Muchos critican la desicion de Mejia de dar 300 pesos mensuales gratis a las familias pobres SIEMPRE QUE TENGAN HIJOS EN LA ESCUELA. Eso no resuelve, pero es una aproximacion a la solucion

Mejores partidos politicos sin ladrones, inversion en la educacion de los que ahora suben -pues en terminos educativos los adultos son segmento perdido- y gobiernos que apliquen hacia el exterior las mismas actitudes de otros gobiernos estados para con nosotros, pueden ser una parte del nuevo camino por recorrer.

Todos los paises son nuestros hermanos, pero ninguno hace un movimiento para que Estados Unidos, Canada, Francia o Jap?n nos le den unas visas temporales de trabajo a los dominicanos que quieren probar fortuna en el exterior y mueren en el intento, mientras nos imponen que solucionemos el problema de Haiti, dejando pasar sus hambreados a nuestro territorio.

Gracias por sus justas palabras, Mr. Leslie

LA

M

Marion Harshman

My husband and I have lived and owned a home in the Domincan Repuyou do not come hereblic for 15 years. We have never had your experiences.
In fact we consider this country our home. I suggest that you do not come here anymore. This country doesn<t want or need you, or any one like you.

A

A. Nony Mouse

This is a family board. Please do not use four letter words like "WORK" here. It may offend some of the people who didn't answer your ad.