See you in January!

Hello all,

I'll be back in Santiago visiting my family in January for a few weeks, looking forward to it but have a few questions.

Any precautions I should take before coming? I know a lot of people have been getting sick over there, my family says its nothing to worry about but they also wouldn't want me to delay my flight ;)

Where have you guys been going to at night? I'll be bringing my boyfriend for the first time (he's not Dominican and does not speak spanish), so I'm looking for some places that have some more people from the US/Canada etc he'd be able to talk to. This is not totally necessary because he has been learning Spanish from me, and knows a lot about Dominican culture...but I want there to be that option for him.

Hopefully the rain stops before we get there, I'll be driving up to visit my grandmother in Matagrande and rain + steep mountain = :paranoid:

Happy Holidays everyone!

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Walmart! Bring one down..They are far too expensive here..the cheap ones get termites in a month and the expensive ones are just too expensive...

Buy all of your drinking water. Hang out in the main clubs, but I think you will find a lot of Santiago is pretty language friendly. Especially if he tries.

have fun...

HB

Well turns out my sister got herself a new guest bed, so no lugging an air mattress for me.

Yeah I know all about the water etc situation as I was born in Santiago and come back to visit every few months...just first time bringing an American so I'm being extra careful about everything.

Looking forward to him learning more about my country and practicing some of the Spanish I have taught him!

I have set up skype in my mother's home in La Herradura so he'll still be connected while down there :)