Carrying a TV

LaTeacher

Bronze
May 2, 2008
I'm planning to bring a (small - 22 or 26") tv back to Santiago from Philly. I would carry it on carry-on style, but I've got two small kids (by myself) so, I theoretically want to check it.

I'm not worried about paying customs, so please, no rhetoric about how I'm going to pay triple the price just to get it through customs.

There is a weight/size limitation on American but not a box embargo, so I know I can check it. I'm just looking for advice on if there is a better way.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
I'm planning to bring a (small - 22 or 26") tv back to Santiago from Philly. I would carry it on carry-on style, but I've got two small kids (by myself) so, I theoretically want to check it.

I'm not worried about paying customs, so please, no rhetoric about how I'm going to pay triple the price just to get it through customs.

There is a weight/size limitation on American but not a box embargo, so I know I can check it. I'm just looking for advice on if there is a better way.

Depends on when you're traveling - if it's before January 9th - NO boxes will be accepted by American Airlines.

AE

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005

I assume it is a flat screen, which is tax-free since it is a "computer monitor". Just put it in a knapsack.

What is your question?

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
I've seen people check,computers monitor and tv's with no problems at least from what I could tell. Mayby it would be a good idea to go by the local UPS Store in the States and have them really pack it well for you with the foam things. It might cost US20-30 but it would be good insurance.

LaTeacher

Bronze
May 2, 2008
AE - i spoke with an AA rep. this morning and they told me that this year there is no box embargo, just a size/weight limitation,and as long as the box is within the accepted dimensions, they'll take it. Thanks, though.

Tamborista - I think a 22 or 26 inch tv, while small, is too big to put in my knapsack and carry through the airport along with two (very) small children. that was my problem in the first place. If I thought it'd be easy to just carry it on, I would.

Chip - great idea, thanks.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
AE - i spoke with an AA rep. this morning and they told me that this year there is no box embargo, just a size/weight limitation,and as long as the box is within the accepted dimensions, they'll take it. Thanks, though.

Tamborista - I think a 22 or 26 inch tv, while small, is too big to put in my knapsack and carry through the airport along with two (very) small children. that was my problem in the first place. If I thought it'd be easy to just carry it on, I would.

Chip - great idea, thanks.

LaTeacher, I'm flying AA on Jan 2nd, and was told NO boxes, checked the website and here's what it says:

Whether you're traveling to visit loved ones or making one last business deal, we want to make sure that your checked bags arrive at your destination with you this busy travel season. For that reason, American Airlines and American Eagle will implement limitations on checked baggage and boxes from November 20, 2010 - January 9, 2011.

For the destinations identified below, boxes? and excess, overweight (more than 70lbs.), or oversized pieces will not be accepted for transportation. Bags weighing 51-70 lbs. will be accepted with the collection of the applicable charge.

Passengers will be allowed to check a maximum of two pieces which must be within the size and weight limits as follows (dimensional measurements calculated by adding the length, width and height of an item):

* 1st piece - up to 62 dimensional inches and 50 lbs. (70 lbs. for Brazil)
* 2nd piece - up to 62 dimensional inches and 50 lbs. (70 lbs. for Brazil)

Carry-on items may only be up to 45 dimensional inches.

Attention First and Business Class Customers
We are pleased to offer customers in First and Business Class the ability to check three bags at no charge.

American Airlines Cities With Oversize / Excess Bag Limitations
Caribbean
Grenada (GND)
Kingston, Jamaica (KIN)
Port au Prince, Haiti (PAP)
Puerto Plata, Dominican Republic (POP)
Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic (SDQ)
Santiago, Dominican Republic (STI)

St. Kitts (SKB)

As well as all Caribbean cities from/through New York (JFK)

Mexico
Mexico City (MEX)
Guadalajara (GDL) Latin America
Brasilia, Brazil (BSB)*
Cali, Colombia (CLO)
Caracas, Venezuela (CCS)
Guatemala City, Guatemala (GUA)
La Paz, Bolivia (LPB)*
Maracaibo, Venezuela (MAR)
Medellin, Colombia (MDE)
Quito, Ecuador (UIO)
Recife, Brazil (REC)*+
Salvador de Bahia, Brazil (SSA)*+
San Pedro Sula, Honduras (SAP)
San Salvador, El Salvador (SAL)
Santa Cruz, Bolivia (VVI)*
Tegucigalpa, Honduras (TGU)

As well as all Latin American cities from/through New York (JFK)

augustus

Dec 19, 2007
If I were in your position, I would find an old hard case suitcase or pick one up at a thrift shop and along with UPS packaging, put it inside the suitcase along with clothes....

I have traveled that way with computers and computer parts to Sosua in the past, with no problems...........With you and the children, 3 to 6 suitcases shouldn't be a problem and that's what all those fellows hang around airports are for, to help with bags....:bunny::bunny::bunny:

anng3

Bronze
Jan 12, 2007
We brought a 19 inch in our checked suitcase. We took it out of the box and packed it around bedding which insulated it and hid it. Can't remember if they opened the suitcase and just saw the bedding or not. Didn't see the tv. TV works fine. If you have a suitcase it will fit in just pack it well and check it.

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
I am really surprised people are telling you to put that small TV in your checked baggage after all the horror stories of small electronics disappearing from checked baggage.

I carried a full size desktop in my hand luggage once, I made the carrying case from a cloth laundry bag. (Similar to a shopping bag in size, just taller)

Don - SantiagoDr

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
You could ship it back. The special dispensation says that in acknowledgement of the weight and size limitations, you can have it sent by courier and the dispensation holds.

Since it probably did not cost you 200, put the price on the package, no sweat.

It should work...

I am taking ours back in a big suitcase. Just so you know....and be nice and innocent..

Hope to see you one of these days!!

Happy Christmas...

HB

LaTeacher

Bronze
May 2, 2008
HB - i'm thinking of just wrapping it good in a suitcase, we're flying in style, so we get an extra suitcase or two, so it's not like i'm taking room away from the FAO Schwartz store that needs to travel with us.

trading in some books is on my list of things to do right when i get back, before i start working!

alterego - my kids did really well on the way up north, we'll see if i can tire them out enough to sleep most of the way home!

anng3

Bronze
Jan 12, 2007
Have returned from the US with both flat screen TVs and LCD computer monitors in checked baggage without issues.

What size TV did you bring in?

La Teach:
I just remembered when we brought in our 19 inch we put the tv in one suitcase and the stand in the other to separate them.
You might want to do the same.