Thread: Carnaval....

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Carnaval....

A question....me and my boyfriend are coming to visit the D.R. in February for a month and we want to make sure we are there for La Vega's carnaval. Does anyone know the exact dates for that Carnval?? My boyfriend hasn't lived there for 15 years, so he's not quite sure. If anyone knows the answer, this would be quite helpful. Thanks!

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't know the exact dates, but do remember that the best parade is the last one, on the last Sunday of February. I was there a few years back and it was a lot of fun.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Puerto Plata Carnaval Parade

I went to the carnaval parade in Puerto Plata last year, towards the end of March, and it was really, really great....it was on the malecon, and it looked like all of Puerto Plata turned out to watch it...I plan on going there again this year, as well....

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

"Wikipedia says: February is known as Carnaval month in La Vega, this being the most famous carnival in the entire country. The patron saint is the Virgen de las Mercedes, celebrated on September 24.

El Carnaval Vegano is celebrated each Sunday in February."

This confirms what Expat-in -Cabarete said about the best parade being on the last Sunday in February.

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ken2 View Post
    .......This confirms what Expat-in -Cabarete said about the best parade being on the last Sunday in February.
    Thanks Ken2, this would help to confirm the Carnaval of all Carnavals is the first Sunday of March in Santo Domingo.

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

2011 is one of the years when "Independence Day", February 27, also falls on the last Sunday of February...makes for a Double-Strength Fiesta in La Vega!

If you're here all of February, you may want to check out some other nearby Carnaval Sunday celebrations on the earlier weeks...two other notable ones are in Santiago and Montecristi.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

thanks for the info guys!