Dominican Christmas and New Year's Menus

RacerX

Banned
Nov 22, 2009
i ll post later on and tell you what we had... but here is the preview:

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Uh6l666W_Sg?fs=1&hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Uh6l666W_Sg?fs=1&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
i ll post later on and tell you what we had...

My pork roast [pernil] was seasoned yesterday and went into the oven at 9 a.m. today, cooking low and slow all day, we're eating late and then opening gifts. My daughter and son-in-law don't like guandules, so it's separate rice [con coco] and beans [black are my favorite, I think I was Cuban in my last life]. Dough is ready for the pastelitos [empanadas] and just getting ready to make the filling. I make mine with ground pork, spices, hard boiled egg and raisins - but have to make a few without raisins for the son-in-law. Arepita de yuca. Tostones. Okra with red onions. Ensalada Rusa. Cheesecake, Apple Pie, Rice Pudding for dessert.

AE

RacerX

Banned
Nov 22, 2009
Ok, we had or rather on the table was...
a. tossed salad with the vinegar dressing to the side
b. ensalada rusa-potato salad; 2 platters, one with beets another without(I dont eat beets)
c. 3 platters rice-white rice, moros, and concon
d. pernil(I dont eat pork so...)
e. ziti
f. macaroni salad

That was the Nochebuena meal. Christmas Day definitely should be better...if I can get some macaroni & cheese, I ll be set.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
On another thread we were taking about the turkey cooking bags so I wanted to mention that I made the pork roast in one of them. The night before I cut slits all over the pork and then rubbed the spices all over and into the slits. Then I popped it into the cooking bag and left it in the fridge overnight.

In the morning I cut several slits in the top of the bag [releases steam and lets the top brown] and put it in the oven at 300 degrees for about an hour, then lowered it to 250 and let it slow cook all day. We ended up with a mouthwatering roast, set it on a platter with tongs - it was so moist no knife was needed. The skin was browned and crisped perfectly. The bones were bare and easy to remove and discard [we were all saying it's a shame we didn't have a dog any more, he would have loved chomping on the big one!]

Try it, you'll love it!

AE

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
AlterEgo: I had the same feeling about our dogs!!...

Our menu:
Turkey
Roast fresh ham (pernil)
Rice with something like parsley(?) it was good. Beans were a side.
Corn Souffl?
Cranberry sauce
Tremendous salad with sort of a weird "Italian" dressing but not really.
Butter rolls that were to die for...one of our holiday treats..Old recipe from Ligia Bornia's book.

Dulce Fr?o (very traditional Dominican dessert)

Wine
Sam Adams Boston Lager
Cokes

Lots of fun...

HB

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
pernil
pollo al carbon
ensalada de papa
ensalada de coditos
arroz con maiz
ensalda de repollo a la americana sino por el pollo
pastelon

me harte : )

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Roast Pork
Chicken Cordon Bleu
Caesar Salad (our contribution)
Pastalone
Eggplant souffle w/ ham, platanos maduros and cheese
Pasta salad w/tuna
Tres leches cake
Red Rock soda
Mandarinas

For 30 people...

TOOBER_SDQ

Bronze
Nov 19, 2008
This is some of what was on the menu for Christmas ?.

100_1411-e1293393255689.jpg

100_1412-e1293393345851.jpg

100_1414-e1293393424478.jpg

100_1415-e1293393462849.jpg

Lots of pork, but no beets? I don?t think...:knockedou