Got a very nasty virus here...

amstellite

Bronze
Sep 5, 2007
Merry Xmas guys and gals. Have not been on for some time with moving homes, but more so because I received an malicious virus from a thread in a posting - It concerned the killing of a tourist in Sosua and as I opened the link I got the dreaded telltale signs I had been infected - resulting in everything being wiped out... so beware opening up links... anyway, I wanted to get back to this forum - I am sure you are aware of the problems I have had with the Dominican family ... well, it got worse and now I've thrown in the towel for good. I went back in November.. I didn;t pay my friend Juan any money for the " fat in the head and the heart " issue, and even called him out on it....asked him for a doctor's note to get the name of the condition- never forthcoming.. anyway, he avoided me for a complete week that I was there- would not go to the colmado when I was there, I called , he refused the calls, even when I occasioned by the house one time to at least say hi, he immediately left. Weird. On my last day a Sunday, he shows up at the apartment at 0630hrs and offers to take me to the airport for the 12 pm flight. We hang for a bit - a mistake.. I told him he was a desgradiciado and he got very upset at that- but then proceeded to ask me to lend him 20000 pesos to help him buy a car!!! It never stops.. of course I said no. He left in mood... I came home, a bit upset and feeling really bad about all this.. he has since called me 8 times - but never left a message - then the wife calls yesterday and leaves a voicemail saying she is worried about me , and that she hasn;t heard from me, and if I am ok... I don;t buy any of it. The rent was due 12/15 and I am sure that's why they are panicking... how things turn so sour... now it looks like I didnlt have to make a decision myself- it was made for me... I still love the DR so much.. I go back Jan 21 with a free Jet Blue ticket I got back in May last year, but I am not staying in la caleta.. I met some great people there- it is such a shame they will now have to choose to see me in the capital as don;t want to come between them an the family- they call me too and ask what is happening.. I say nothing to them.. but what a disaster.. had I never moved them, had I never done all this- it would have all been fine.. I feel like a real idiot for want of a better word.. ah, now it is really time to start a new chapter,,, but the kids are still in my mind.................... well just sounding of, it' been a while..cheers

RacerX

Banned
Nov 22, 2009
Yea, real crazy man, real crazy...anyway, JetBlue sucks! Good thing you got a free ticket. I didnt know that every seat in JetBlue was a coach seat. And its not the coach thing that bothered me it was that compared to Delta, I didnt feel that it that enjoyable a flight. The best thing is that at 630 flight from JFK arrived at 940 and I was out of the airport by 10, compared to Delta who has the 730 flight and get there around 1030.

Screw Juan and his family, lazy bastards. Imagine that, no cooth whatsoever. Avoids you the entire trip and then comes and begs you for $600 to buy a car? You call him a loser and he gets upset, so what? Does the truth meet your reputation of him? What gives him the right to be upset? This is the buttwipe who told you he had "fat in the heart" syndrome. AFTER YOU PUT HIS WIFE AND KIDS IN A 20TH CENTURY PAD? You should have told him to go screw a duck. Less money you waste on those guys the more money you have to return more frequently.

las2137

Sep 1, 2008
Thanks for posting the update. I think your story will prove to be a good lesson for others. Just stick to your guns and keep as far away from this family as possible.

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
now You have the Proof.
Juan is a sucking Looser who wanted only One Thing from You:
getting some money, as much as possible, without going to Work.
teh typical street looser.
don't let the fact that Looser Juan has Kids enter Your Thoughts, you can't save 'em all, and every single one of the bad suckers out there has Kids.
stay away from Him and His Alikes.
next Time in Town You will have some more experience than last Time, and hopefully choose Friends in a bit different way.

all the Best to You

Merry X-mas

Mike

ohmmmm

Bronze
Jun 11, 2010
I've been in the DR for a little over two months. The boldness of asking for money and etc. never stops. Often the excuses are health problems...and trying to help mom and dad or sister or wife, but other excuses are that the car is broken and other emergencies like getting robbed. Some of the excuses could be legit, but its the attitude that it's ok to do that to a foreigner. In fact, its almost a status symbol to get money out of a foreigner if your working for, with or amongst them... This is what I'm learning... There are some really great Dominicans that I have met, so don't get me wrong about broad brushing my opinions above...its just that if you act weak here, its in the culture of many to try and get money and things from you... I've been told to just keep a low profile, tell everyone you are poor and trust no one... I think that was good advice after my few months here...

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
its just that if you act weak here, its in the culture of many to try and get money and things from you

Act weak anywhere and you will be taken for a ride. Nothing to do with Dominican culture. It's just that foreigners let their guards down when visiting exotic and poor country, so they become easy targets...

I've been in the DR for a little over two months. The boldness of asking for money and etc. never stops. Often the excuses are health problems...and trying to help mom and dad or sister or wife, but other excuses are that the car is broken and other emergencies like getting robbed. Some of the excuses could be legit, but its the attitude that it's ok to do that to a foreigner. In fact, its almost a status symbol to get money out of a foreigner if your working for, with or amongst them... This is what I'm learning... There are some really great Dominicans that I have met, so don't get me wrong about broad brushing my opinions above...its just that if you act weak here, its in the culture of many to try and get money and things from you... I've been told to just keep a low profile, tell everyone you are poor and trust no one... I think that was good advice after my few months here...

AZB is so correct when he tells you it is the type of people most foreigners associate with in the DR that is the problem!!! Do you guys go down to the Projects or to the trailer parks in the USA to find friends??? So why go find friends in the ghetto of a foreign country? Up your game and hang with people that you would associate with in your home country, Stay away from the trash.

Reactions: MikeFisher

MikeFisher

Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
Act weak anywhere and you will be taken for a ride. Nothing to do with Dominican culture. It's just that foreigners let their guards down when visiting exotic and poor country, so they become easy targets...

AZB is so correct when he tells you it is the type of people most foreigners associate with in the DR that is the problem!!! Do you guys go down to the Projects or to the trailer parks in the USA to find friends??? So why go find friends in the ghetto of a foreign country? Up your game and hang with people that you would associate with in your home country, Stay away from the trash.

so during Your 2 Months short Stay you did hang out with the poorest who have broken Cars and Health issues.
as Badpiece stated,
it depends with Whom You decide to hang out, I doubt that the Dominican Mid or Upper Class would allow You to hang out with them, they are not walking the Streets to find poor Foreigners to ask for a Buck or 2.
I found that Kind of Beggars at every European Tourist Destin, in Italy, in Spain, in France, and I found them also all over the USA on my Travels.
I could find them the same in my Homecountry Germany of course, the Different Levels/Categories of Society are existing in all of those Countries, it is You who make's the Choice with Whom to hang out with.

and it is not just a thingy between Beggars and Foreigners, those same Dominicans who ask a Foreigner for a Hand Out due Illness/broken Car/Leak of Funds for the next Rum-Bottle, those same Guys ask the same to their Dominican Neighbours, it is just that their Successrate is of course Higher with unexperience Travellers leaking of Travelsmartness.

enter any low level Bar at any of those countries, get in touch with the ones hanging out there on daily bases, have a Chat, ''make friends with them", and You will hear the Ocassional Q "need a buck for the next round", "darn, my car is broken since a week, the reason why I couldn't get around and find a Job the last 10 Years", "darn medical Bills, I need to by some Urgently needed Meds but Our darn Healthcare System, Ya Know".

Once You travelled a Lot and been in touch with the different Society Levels of Different Countries and Cultures, You will find out that they are not that different from each others when comparing the same Categories of the Social Ladders.

Happy Holidays

Mike

amstellite

Bronze
Sep 5, 2007
I wasn;lt ever supposed to be in La caleta. It happened that way when I innocently asked a motoconcho to stop by a place for a drink while on the way to the bus stop for the City outside of las Americas.from there it just escalated. I fell in love with the kids and the exuberance of the people.. dancing, joking, never seeming to worry... Istayed there three days- they put me up in their houses.. it just seemed so perfect and so different than hangin with the same touristy types at beach bars I had been used to all my life. It was new and exciting, and I felt I was truly helping while learning things you would never get from a guide book... well, that's what it ws like in the beginning- until I really got sucked in.....

after all my ranting I got two voicemails from Juan and the missus yesterday- feliz Navidad and we are worried about you for not calling for two months... I guess they are missing my cash input now....

Last edited by a moderator:

MikeFisher

Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
you will sure find your way around and learn.
we all had to learn quiet a few things when for the first years around.
AND there ARE good People around, including on the Street and at the non fancy Bars, with Time you will learn to differ betwen Honest and Scumbag.
agreement to Milosh,
the most dangerous People hanging out at Colmados, Beachbars, on the Streets etc etc are the Ones who speak our own languages.
We are much too often too trustful when somebody comes from the same Country or speaks at least the same language.

Happy Hollies

Mike

Feb 7, 2007
I wasn;lt ever supposed to be in La caleta. It happened that way when I innocently asked a motoconcho to stop by a place for a drink while on the way to the bus stop for the City outside of las Americas.from there it just escalated. I fell in love with the kids and the exuberance of the people.. dancing, joking, never seeming to worry... Istayed there three days- they put me up in their houses.. it just seemed so perfect and so different than hangin with the same touristy types at beach bars I had been used to all my life. It was new and exciting, and I felt I was truly helping while learning things you would never get from a guide book... well, that's what it ws like in the beginning- until I really got sucked in.....

One thing amstellite, I would be quite weary to sleep at stranger's house whom I just have met riding a moto on the street near the airport.... like, you were not worried that while you sleep they will rob you naked and/or you will wake up beheaded/quartered/etc.?

Reactions: MikeFisher

amstellite

Bronze
Sep 5, 2007
never occurred to me... there were families around me, kids, mothers, I stayed with a family.. I am not rich- the most they would have got was a credit card and a passport maybe...but it simply never ever occurred to me,,,.. no fool like an old fool I guess...

ccarabella

Feb 5, 2002
amstellite - It's too bad that all this had to happen. In the end I hope you have learned to never part with your hard earned money. Follow the advice of everyone here. If your desire is to make a heartfelt contribution, there are several organisations in need. Look at the community support link on this website.

Best of luck

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com

I've never been asked for money, and my wife although she does get asked she is the master of deflection talking around the subject like three dimensional Chinese checkers, and they usually go away without actually getting their request in. I totally agree with the advice you were given.

Taino808

Bronze
Oct 10, 2010

This is soooo true. If you roll around in the trash, don?t get upset when you come out soiled.