DR1 Article today about Cedulas (or should it be Residency?)

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Today on DR1 News I read the article below. I believe this should be about renewing residency, which happens for most of us every two years,and NOT about renewing a cedula. Please correct me if I am wrong. I believe the article should state that

"36,000 foreigners need to renew their residency",

but perhaps I missed a change in the law along the way. My cedula was valid for much longer than two years, but is set to expire next year according to what is printed on it. I appreciate anyone clarifying the confusion I have after reading the article I cut and pasted below:

-----------------

36,000 foreigners need to renew their cedulas

The Central Electoral Board (JCE) announced the suspension of 36,000 'cedulas' or the ID cards that belong to foreigners with permanent residence in the country. Foreigners are required to renew their cedulas every two years. Hoy newspaper says that the head of the JCE, Roberto Rosario, said that the foreigners owe the JCE a total of more than RD$52 million in cedula renewals. Rosario said that some people owed as much as RD$90,000 in back payments for renewals. The JCE also increased the cost of the cedula across the board for foreigners.

The foreigners would be given a deadline to regularize their situation. Of 43,216 foreigners registered, 36,453 have not renewed their cedulas. The renewal costs RD$2,000 to RD$4,000 per year. The JCE plans to add an extra RD$500 for expired month, in addition to the current renewal rates as of January when an agreement would be reached with Migration.

As reported in Listin Diario, from 1998 to 2010, the JCE issued 43,216 cedulas to foreigners, but only 6,763 have renewed them at expiration.

To renew the cedula, foreigners have to first renew their residency permit with Migration.

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
Perhaps that is why they say 36,000 foreigners need to renew their cedulas, because cedulas are issued for 6 years (by a special office of the JCE) and the regular Central Electoral Board (JCE also) is confused, thinking it's only 2 years.

That sounds perfectly logical and typical being this is the D.R.

D in Tampa

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
I thought the same when I read the item, since the normal renewal period for residency is 2 years.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i have renewed my residency last month and had to pay 200 or 300 pesos for each month since the expiration date. i hope it is not the same with cedula since that expired long time ago and like 99% of dominicans i did not care.
btw, the article in the newspaper says extra 500 pesos per year not a month.