Barahona region. Trip around peninsula Pedernales

MyDominican

Dec 14, 2010
Wazzzup?
I wish to tell to you about our trip to Barahona, which is in the SouthWest region of Dominican Republic. This area is completely not tipical for tropics: droughty savanna and there are a lot of cactuses. I was not in Texas, but I think it`s just the same.

map_dominicana_Barahona_21.JPG

map_dominicana_Barahona_22.JPG

map_dominicana_Barahona_14.JPG

Our trip was long, we`ve passed all Barahona, including Thermal Water (you will not find it in the printed dominican maps), Larimar Mines etc. In other words, we visited all the points of interests that could be reached by car (some places need 4x4 and good aggressive tires).

map_dominicana_Barahona_17.JPG

map_dominicana_Barahona_23.JPG

map_dominicana_Barahona_25.JPG

map_dominicana_Barahona_41.JPG

map_dominicana_Barahona_46.JPG

Lake Enriquillo. About 40 meters depth, and the water has 3 times more salt than the sea. You can find American crocodiles there, but we didn`t cause you need to get up at 4 o clock to see it.
<b>USEFUL TIP:</b> It`s better you stay in Duverge for one night, there are 2 or 3 “cabanas” (motels). And in the morning you drive to La Descubierta city, where you rent a boat for 80-100 US$ (1-12 people onboard). First of all, use this tel to communicate with Capitan, and Guides:
809 816 7441 (English, French)
809 880 0871 (Capitan)
829 930 0141 (Guide Association of Barahona)

map_dominicana_Barahona_10.JPG

map_dominicana_Barahona_28.JPG

map_dominicana_Barahona_35.JPG

map_dominicana_Barahona_36.JPG

map_dominicana_Barahona_6.JPG

In Isla Cabritos there are many iguanas, two different species: Iguana Rinoceronte and Iguana Ricordi (with red eyes), that can be found only in Dominican Republic primary in Barahona (if you see the map of population).
<b>USEFUL TIP</b>You feed them with peanuts, or some fruits, they seem to be friendly and not timid. Take care feeding them, cause they can bite you.

map_dominicana_Barahona_30.JPG

map_dominicana_Barahona_31.JPG

map_dominicana_Barahona_32.JPG

map_dominicana_Barahona_33.JPG

map_dominicana_Barahona_34.JPG

map_dominicana_Barahona_39.JPG

map_dominicana_Barahona_40.JPG

For the night we puted a tent in the South side of Lake Enriquillo. Don`t forget about mosquito repellent or spirals!
map_dominicana_Barahona_7.JPG

map_dominicana_Barahona_8.JPG

map_dominicana_Barahona_9.JPG

map_dominicana_Barahona_2.JPG

map_dominicana_Barahona_43.JPG

Next morning we have visited laguna de Oviedo, geological depression named Hoyo del Pelempito and magnetic anomaly “Polo Magnetico”. The ultimate is only a ilusion. Some people say that the car is going upwards in neutral speed, but it`s not true.

map_dominicana_Barahona_44.JPG

map_dominicana_Barahona_15.JPG

map_dominicana_Barahona_16.JPG

map_dominicana_Barahona_5.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:

leromero

Bronze
May 30, 2004
web.mac.com
The Jeep Wrangler you guys used, was that yours or was it rented? If it was rented, where and how much? I'm interested in renting one on my next trip. Thanks.