Using Verizon Droid 2 global in DR, anyone?

alex1969

Dec 25, 2010
Hi gang, I am from NY and I am planning a 7 days trip to DR in Jan, I will be using my verizon Droid 2 global with a local SIM (Either Orange, Claro, etc, your recommendations are welcome), so I hope that anyone here has used this phone in DR. , my questions, do I have to pay someone to "connect" my phone to be able to make calls in DR; Verizon will provide me with the unlock code so that I can use the phone in DR. Or is it just as simply as to put the Orange/Claro sim card? Do I have to do anything to the phone (any change in the settings?) in order to make work? I am also assuming that if I connect a DR sim card, then I will be assigned a new local number, is that correct? What would happen to my US phone number while I use the local SIM card?

And my last question, what will happen when I come back to the US, any adjustment I need to make?

Sorry for the many questions, but I am technically handicap :>))

THanks in advance for your responses,

Alex

Reactions: mike l

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
If your phone accepts a sim card, I would think you should be able to work with either codetel or orange. To get the sim card, you need to go to an orange or codetel store and sign up, where you will be given a number. During the time that you are here and the local sim card is in your phone, it will make and receive calls on the DR number. When you leave and return to the US, remove the DR sim card and put your US card back into the phone. Then it will answer and receive calls on the US number. Nothing happens to the US number during your stay here. It is just being given a vacation.

Reactions: mike l

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
If your phone accepts a sim card, I would think you should be able to work with either codetel or orange. To get the sim card, you need to go to an orange or codetel store and sign up, where you will be given a number. During the time that you are here and the local sim card is in your phone, it will make and receive calls on the DR number. When you leave and return to the US, remove the DR sim card and put your US card back into the phone. Then it will answer and receive calls on the US number. Nothing happens to the US number during your stay here. It is just being given a vacation.

This does not address the OP's issue of a locked phone. Most carriers lock their phones to their own network. This is a unique issue since the phone is a CDMA/GSM phone working currently on CDMA. It may or may not be locked??? I doubt there is anybody that really knows the answer on this forum. I posted a link to a DROID forum, since I am not sure if it needs to be unlocked or not.

Try calling this number I found on there: Verizon Global support (908) 559-4899