barrel shipping

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Anything that fits in there. We've shipped 5 of them since October: kitchen stuff, a microwave, clothing, dishes, ceramic crocks [that hold the 5 gallon bottles], good pots and pans, electronic stuff, even a chainsaw. You name it, we've shipped it. Fill anything with space inside - the microwave is filled with "stuff". Inside the big ceramic crocks too. I've only had one thing break - a corning ware baking dish. It gets delivered right to the door.

AE

bri777

Bronze
Sep 11, 2010
great

I guess you shipped from NY?
I got a quote from tx to pop, 50$ per barrel plus 150$ to pop and I have to pick it up ?
sounds reaonable ?
NO
Manu

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
I guess you shipped from NY?
I got a quote from tx to pop, 50$ per barrel plus 150$ to pop and I have to pick it up ?
sounds reaonable ?
NO
Manu

A company from NY comes to my house [3 hours south of Bronx] and picks it up. I pay $40 to buy the barrel, plus $115 for shipping right to the door in Santo Domingo. We have never picked one up - never.

AE

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
A company from NY comes to my house [3 hours south of Bronx] and picks it up. I pay $40 to buy the barrel, plus $115 for shipping right to the door in Santo Domingo. We have never picked one up - never.

AE
How large is the barrel? Could you post or PM the company name?

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
We use them on our little finca - they keep them filled with water for when the electric goes out and they need to irrigate. Believe me, people will beg for them down there, everyone wants them.

AE

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
We use them on our little finca - they keep them filled with water for when the electric goes out and they need to irrigate. Believe me, people will beg for them down there, everyone wants them.

AE
One last question (I think;)). From the time the barrel is picked up at your front door how long does it take to be delivered to your place in the DR?

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
I gave the original poster the name and phone number of a company in Florida that does a ton of deliveries to the DR.
I told her that all she has to do is get the stuff shipped to Florida (what? maybe 100 bucks, and then another 75/80 door to door), as opposed to like 200 to get it to Haina and then YOU have to pick it up??? No way Jos?!! But apparently the Word for On High is not enough, at least shehas not told me whethershe as even called Jos? to find out if what I am telling her is true.

Do you think I should have let her stew in her own juices???

HB

RacerX

Banned
Nov 22, 2009
It always helps to have more options than one. I have a friend that works in La Famosa Shipping in Santiago and they also ship from the Bronx.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Racer and Willy: She is in Houston Freakin' Texas!!! There are not yet enough Dominicans there to merit a shipping company being established (Texas Takems Shipping? Lone Star Barrels?)
She has to get her stuff to Florida (Or New York or Chicago)and then it is a piece of cake.

HB

RacerX

Banned
Nov 22, 2009
I know she was in Texas, but she has to work with what is available. It may be inconvenient but you gotta start somewhere.

In the long run it might a good business idea to start a shipping company herself in that area and look to move the barrels out of Houston or New Orleans.

edluv1

May 25, 2010
how much do you pay for taxes? does customs actually check inside the barrel and compare it's contents to the declaration?

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
how much do you pay for taxes? does customs actually check inside the barrel and compare it's contents to the declaration?

I can't count the number of barrels and boxes we've shipped the past several decades. We've never paid a penny to customs, and only had one broken corning ware baking dish. I seem to remember that one time someone came to the house when it got delivered and my mother-in-law had to open it and empty it. They told her they spot check for guns. Finding none, they left.

Another time they simply asked if they could look inside. She snapped "no!" at them, they nodded and left. I guess you have to be a 90 yr old spitfire to get away with that.

AE