Would like to move to the DR

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flair5210

Dec 28, 2010
Hi everyone and anyone that will listen. I am interested in moving to the Dominican Republic. Anyone with any advice on how to make that as painless as possible? Thank you for the help, looking at Puerta Plata, people have told me it is nice.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Do a "search" on this site for pointers. Read about "Lambada's" book, 'Quisqueya and Mad Dogs and an English couple'(or words to that effect!).

There is a ton of great and valuable information available on this site. Some is easy to understand and assimilate but others might go against your grain, especially if you are thinking of making this move for sentimental reasons of any kind...

If you do not have a unique and marketable skill set, you will be advised to think differently. If you are not independently wealthy you will be advised to stay home, and if you are, to be extremenly weary of everyone, especially the people you meet at hotels..

And so on and so forth...

good luck with the reading,

HB

CFA123

Silver
May 29, 2004
Hi everyone and anyone that will listen. I am interested in moving to the Dominican Republic. Anyone with any advice on how to make that as painless as possible? Thank you for the help, looking at Puerta Plata, people have told me it is nice.

How about the ultimate pain free starter package... this one time offer won't last long. For only one single payment of US$879,000 (+itbis) I will sell you a fully furnished apartment overlooking beautiful downtown Sosua Abajo, car, dog, machete, golf clubs, laptop, pasola, 2 goats and cell phone including charger and contact list.

To sweeten the deal, I will throw in a slightly used pair of chanclettas, some noni juice, a freshly washed beach towel, and three botellones of water.

note to Robert: no, I don't advertise here... but will cut you in for a 10% commission if sold thru DR1. i'll also triple what you pay your moderators.

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com

1 Learn Spanish

2/ Rent, do not buy

3. Have a rock solid income of more than US $2000 a month

4. Do not bring your stuff.. sell it or give it to family... there is plenty of "stuff" here and you can move around more easily

5. See the entire island before you pick a place to live

May 29, 2006
Puerta Plata proper would not be on my list, but there are some areas nearby that are more friendly to ex-pats.

If you want to move to the DR, it would be best to have at least six-twelve months' savings stored up. For most people, living in the DR isn't cheaper at first than living at home unless you are willing to make some lifestyle changes. Unless you are in the industry, avoid touristy towns to settle in.

Check the forums on lists of things to bring. Don't buy any property until you have spent at a year in the DR. It's the little differences that are more frustrating than the big ones.

And to repeat Annie's advice, do spend some time seeing the island. It can be harder to get away once you start to settle down.

greydread

Platinum
Jan 3, 2007

I have never lived in the Dominican Republic. I have visited a lot. I can only offer the questions that I would ask myself:

1. Why the Dominican Republic?
Have you ever been there?
Do you know anyone who lives there?
Do you speak, read and write Spanish fluently?
Are you familiar with Dominican culture, customs and courtesies?
What advantage does living in the D.R. offer over your current location?

2. How will you live?
Are you independently wealthy?
Are you on a pension which is indexed for inflation?
Are you a private business owner looking to expand there?
Do you work in the hospitality industry?
Will you need a job to support yourself?

3. Are you ready to live in the Tropics?
Do you sunburn easily?
Do you have a medical condition/ on perscription medication?
Do you have pets which will be affevted by the move? Children? Spouse?
Any plant or food allergies?

4. Can you sum up in one word your most compelling reason for wanting to live there?

SNH

Jul 24, 2010
1 Learn Spanish

2/ Rent, do not buy

3. Have a rock solid income of more than US $2000 a month

4. Do not bring your stuff.. sell it or give it to family... there is plenty of "stuff" here and you can move around more easily

5. See the entire island before you pick a place to live

Sums it up very nicely.

london777

Bronze
Dec 22, 2005
Do you sunburn easily?
GD, I disagree with this part of your otherwise excellent post. I was 69 years old with a diagnosed vulnerability to skin cancer when I immigrated into the DR. The sun is no problem to me here as it convenient to go through the whole day without being exposed to it if one so wishes. Dominican daily life is arranged to avoid darkening one's skin tones for (to be euphemistic) "social" reasons.

Friends visiting from the UK joke that I am paler now than before I emigrated. Not strictly true, but I get just as much sun as is safe for me and no more.

Hillybilly has rightly recommended Lambada's earlier book. At least as valuable is her later book co-written with Ilana Benady:
Dominican Republic - Culture Smart!: The Essential Guide to Customs & Culture
I see new copies are available for under US$6.00 plus post via Amazon. Someone thinking of emigrating here will never spend a handful of dollars better.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.