Wireless vs. satelite internet in the DR

L

Louis Ouellette

The condo where we will be living in Cabarete doesn't have a phone line at this time. We will be there for at least a year and absolutely need a connection. I will bring a desk top and/or a laptop computer since I am told that hardware is expensive in the DR. I have only heard of cell modems for laptops. Apparently wireless connections are very slow, but it appears I will have no choice, at least initially. Does anyone out there have an wireless system who can advise me on hardware and getting connected? My understanding is that satelite connection hardware is extremely expensive. Any info on that?

Thanks,
Louis

J

Jock Pereira

I understand your predicament. I moved to Jarabacoa recently after traveling to the DR for the past 10 years. I do have some advice for you on how to get a land phone installed quickly as this is bascially your only viable option. Other more dubious obtions:

1. Flash service - very fast Internet access, currently only available in Santo Domingo and Santiago. Do not be fooled into thinking this is available elsewhere.

2. Sattelite - I have heard of one rumor of someone East of Santo Domingo successfully hooking up a sattelite for Internet access, but you must have a very clear view of the southern hemisphere which may not be possible if you see mountains in the opposite direction of the water.

3. Cellular. Dont do it, your connection speed will be horrible.

I had a land phone installed in my house (what is called the VIP service, start up cost of about $200.00) within a week of my request. Drop me a line at jpereira@sweetlobster.com and I will write back (confidentially) about how to get it done.

Regards from one gringo to another,

Jock
www.jockandkendra.com

E

Eddy

Forget Codetel and all their crap. Your choices are the link to the preceeding WirelessWave site or EchoStar that you can pick up with a 6' dish. Both are around US$100.00 month. Wireless should be OK for you as their office is in Cabarete. I am deciding which of the two I should go for. As for Codetel, they have been downgraded from SLOWDETEL to GO-2-HELL on Eddy's quality scale.

M

Marvin

Wish I could find this kind of wireless speed

in the US. Anybody have any ideas. I'm pretty remote, and the best connection I can get is around 28,000 bps. 128 would be great if they really produce that! Am in southern New Hampshire, USA

A

Amy

I checked this site, but couldn't get much info. My computer is tooo slow today! Is Wireless Wave available in Juan Dolio? If so, how much is it & how do I get it?

P

Peter

Re: what about starband or competitors?

Flagging the same question again. Can anybody introduce personally someone who has installed StarBand or DirecPC in this country?