First time in DR; advice required please

Zak

Dec 28, 2010
Hi,

I will be in the DR for the first time from 2 -13 January. I will be based in Jarabacoa for most of the time doing paragliding. I don't know much about the town, so can someone please give me some background on it? Most importantly, is it safe to wander around, especially in the evenings? Also, is there any decent social life there that would suit a solo gringo?

I also want to spend at least two or three days at a beach resort and I think Caberete seems to fit the bill. Again is this a good choice?

Some basic background about about me; Northern European (and look it), have some travel experience (most recently Brazil and that is why I am so interested in scoping out the safety of destinations - very necessary in Brazil!) and whilst I can speak some basic Portuguese, I can't speak Spanish but don't know how much assistance this really would be.

All advice and opinions welocme!

Many thanks,

Zak

susan77

Jan 19, 2008
Hi Zak-- Although I haven't visited Jarabacoa, I can assure you, you needn't worry about walking around town at night or not speaking Spanish-- I've been spending a couple months each year in Las Terrenas and I've never been hassled when walking around at night (and I'm a blonde gringa!) and I still speak only "un poco" espaniol. You will love the DR!!

Zak

Dec 28, 2010
Susan77 and windeguy thanks for your input. I have since had to amend the dates of my travels to the DR as I caught a really bad flu just before the New Year and I am still recovering. I will be sure to use the pointers you have given me when I get there and I look forward to my visit.

Best wishes,

Zak