Rancho Lobo Gries

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dafishguy

Bronze
Oct 30, 2007
Hi folks,

I wanted to let you know about what my friend Daniel Grey has managed to accomplish in very little time just a few short miles from Sosua.

Daniel owns "Grey Wolf Ranch" in Colorado and is a full blooded American Indian. He is a horse whisperer like no other I have ever met. His vision and his mild mannered personality have come together to build an exception location in the hills overlooking Belle Vista.

Daniel has replicated his ranch in Colorado with unseen attention to detail. The house he built using his vision and 100% Dominican labor is a sight to behold. Daniel told me the story of how he would ask the Dominicans to use a specific building technique. After staring at Daniel as if he were crazy, they proceeded to accomplish something never before seen here on the North Coast and in turn, showing pride in their workmanship I'm sure none of them have ever felt. It is a truly amazing house.

The experience at Rancho Lobo Gries does not stop at the house. Daniel?s ranch is a full functioning Dude Ranch with beautiful healthy horses. Daniel?s approach to teaching horseback riding is second to none. My wife and I had the pleasure of visiting Daniel and his very capable assistant, Simone one day a few weeks back. My wife, being Dominican believe it or not has never been on a horse. After Daniel was finished his teaching, my wife rode the horse as if they were one being instead of a horse and rider.

Daniel offers 1/2 day, full day and overnight packages as well. He is very reasonably priced for all you get and I know you will come away from this experience with a new found appreciation of horses and of yourself.

I recommend Danial's services whole heartily if horseback riding interest you. Contact Daniel for this amazing experience. I'm sure you won?t regret it.

Take care,

Rick

P1000618.jpg

Danial, Ro, Milka and myself getting ready for our ride.

P1000567.jpg

One more photo and we're off.

P1000571.jpg

Milka and me on our ride.

P1000572.jpg

This is Milka's first time ever on a horse. Danial really had her looking natural in the saddle.

P1000574.jpg

Getting ready to take our walk down to the waterfall, zipline and swimming hole.

P1000585.jpg

What a beautiful setting.

P1000627.jpg

We had to cross this stream twice on our ride. What a beautiful place Rancho Lobo Gries is.

blackrainbow

Dec 26, 2009
and the pictures of the "beautiful" horses, haha only kidding. lovely photos indeed.

Please may you pm me contact/website, if any?

BR

Ringo

On Vacation!
Mar 6, 2003
Nice review and photos Rick.

As you and others may remember, my wife and I have a couple of horses and ride just about everyday. It would be fun to see a new area from horse back.

How does one get in contact with the ranch?
Detailed directions to the ranch if you would? I was going to go up, some time ago, but was told that it is a 2 hour drive each way and could not get detailed directions or even which road to go up. Perhaps using Google Earth as a map?

Thanks.

jrhartley

Gold
Sep 10, 2008
well bella vista is up the road on the left just as you leave sosua abajo towards puerto plata right before you start to go up hill- the road is very pot holey so it takes a long time to navigate it , not sure how far up the road the ranch is , it may be quicker coming from the opposite end which joins with the mountain road to santiago eventually-

Dafishguy

Bronze
Oct 30, 2007
As requested, photos of the house

I had them on another thunb drive. I got them now so here you go.

Enjoy,

Rick

P1000548-1.jpg

The wrap around deck.

P1000547.jpg

The bedroom as shot through the window from the deck.

P1000540.jpg

The front entrance.

P1000545.jpg

The livingroom area with the kitchen off to the right. Yes, those are stone floors.

P1000546.jpg

And the dining room with the one ton table.

The photos really do not do this place justice. You really have to see it to appreciate it. I hope you enjoy the photos anyway.

Take care,

Rick

Dafishguy

Bronze
Oct 30, 2007
Daniel posted some information that was edited. Basically all he said was that the ranch was about 45 minutes outside Sosua and that he offers round trip transportation anywhere on the North Coast and to PM him for more information.

Your guess is as good as mine as to why they felt the need to edit this.

Robert, I always thought the purpose of DR1 was to inform people of the great things to see and do in the DR. If you expect absolutely everyone to be a paid advertiser to your site, I think that your usefulness will dry up as more and more people will find alternate places to get the word out.

Oie Via

I still love your site man. Don't take it personal. It's just an observation.

Rick

Last edited:

ramesses

Gold
Jun 17, 2005
That ranch looks like so much fun. Nice to see some nice things popping up around Sosua.

Thanks so much for the info Rick! We need more info like this.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Daniel posted some information that was edited. Basically all he said was that the ranch was about 45 minutes outside Sosua and that he offers round trip transportation anywhere on the North Coast and to PM him for more information.

Your guess is as good as mine as to why they felt the need to edit this.

Robert, I always thought the purpose of DR1 was to inform people of the great things to see and do in the DR. If you expect absolutely everyone to be a paid advertiser to your site, I think that your usefulness will dry up as more and more people will find alternate places to get the word out.

Oie Via

I still love your site man. Don't take it personal. It's just an observation.

Rick

We have never had a problem with 3rd party reviews and recommendations.
DR1 is full of them, promoting 100's of businesses. Look at Rocky's :)

As you know, we don't allow owners to directly "promote" their businesses unless they are active advertisers. Asking posters to send PM's, email me, posting links is all regarded as promotion if it's done by the owner of the business. The rules are simple and fair.

Let's not forget...

Advertising can be brought for less than US$25 per month if you buy a Directory page. For the amount of business we generate, I think US$25 is a very small amount to pay for the the amazing return on investment it offers.

I hope that clears up any confusion :)

Ringo

On Vacation!
Mar 6, 2003
This is mostly for Rick. Your Brother and his other are fine. I'll do a review soon. It was a very special day.

Ringo

On Vacation!
Mar 6, 2003
WHAT A RIDE! THANKS.

45 minute drive to the ranch and DON’T even think about driving this in your little Jeepeta or less. The drive alone is worth seeing the country. Something that we have not done for some time. We did hit bottom a couple of times and glad that we had our Jeep Grand Cherokee with skid plates and all. The Ranch has transportation and will pick you up. PM me if you wish directions or other contacts in above posts.

Guest house: NO TV, NO internet, NO cell phone. Solar power/battery inverter and a small generator provide all the power that is needed for lights. Very comfortable with fully functioning bathroom. (lol, wife needed and used just fine.) Impressive kitchen and living areas. I’d have no problem staying with my wife, some cards and a good book and… my wife.

Horses: The horses are a little run down. We talked about different ways to build them up some. (I being a horse owner) I also realize that this year has been very wet and makes horse husbandry difficult.

The Ride: They do have different rides. But the one that Antonio, Saimona and Mike took us on was what we where looking for. When I first met with Daniel and Simona, I was a little difficult. I wanted a ride that would challenge me on a horse. Show me the country side from the top of the hills, down to the valleys and crossing the rivers. They gave me what I asked for and more. Two months of rain making riding conditions a bit of a challenge for horse and rider. I asked for a ride and I got one. One that I will never forget.

Staff: Antonio was great. Quite but watching. (another set of gringos?) We had our own saddles and tack that put him off a little at first but then he was right with me saddling up with us. Saimona is a petite German woman with a big wallop. She also speaks Spanish and English and not only knows how to ride but is fun to be with. Mike is German also… I don’t think so! Mike is THE American Cowboy. His stories of his riding for months in the U.S. and Mexico on horseback were inspiring and his calm manner on horse proved his experience and skill. The type of stories that you would like to hear while sitting around a campfire in the middle of nowhere and glad to be their. Mike is German but is fluent in Spanish and English also. Daniel, the owner, is a man that you have to meet for yourself.

Food: Store bought pre-cooked chicken 4 hours later sucked! Very simple; have the people that live there at the ranch cook the food. We eat what they eat and I’d be grateful.

I guess that I have to say a little something about Daniel. He has a unique way of “reading” people. Connecting them with the horse, others and individuals to themselves. I/we not only had a great ride/day, but learned a little about myself.

Price: Not cheap. But I think that I’ll/we’ll do it again and stay the night. Daniel also asked if I’d like to do a ride that would take a couple or more days in the hills just to ride and see the country via horse. I know that I’d like that. What a ride that will be.

Bred

Bronze
Aug 13, 2006
Sosua
Guest house: NO TV, NO internet, NO cell phone.

Now they have internet there and landline phone with the USA number. ;)

I had a pleasure to meet Daniel, Simona, Mike, Antonio and other folks at Rancho Lobo Gris over the last 2-3 weeks and help them with internet access and telephone there. It was my first time ever to ride a horse. Quite an adventure for a first timer to climb up for 40 minutes to install WiFi antenna on top of the mountain. I was thrilled by the view of the rancho from the very top of the mountain where Daniel and Mike built a small tower to mount the antennas. Now their guests can have internet there. (If Mike doesn't forget to re-charge the 12v car battery every 5 days ;) )

I am taking some friends to see the rancho tomorrow.

Bred

Bronze
Aug 13, 2006
Sosua
One of my friends who I have taken to Ranch Lobo Gris lately sent me some nice photos. I can't resist to post a few here with his permission.

mg1362.jpg

mg1368.jpg

mg1316.jpg

mg1251.jpg

mg1222.jpg

mg1119.jpg

mg1110.jpg

mg1111d.jpg

mg1248p.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.