Los Esclavos de Santo Domingo

TOOBER_SDQ

Bronze
Nov 19, 2008
I stumbled on this documentary today (Dec. 29) while channel surfing.

It was some pretty interesting viewing that that discussed the current Haitian work force and the Dominican sugar cane industry, which is lead by the seemingly ?evil? Vicini Family (or at least the documentary painted them out to be evil).

According to the channel guide, it shows again tonight on the Reality TV channel, which for me is channel 225.

Happy viewing. ;)

bachata

Aprendiz de todo profesional de nada
Aug 18, 2007
Esclavos is not the right name, my grandfather used to call them peones as they get pay.

JJ

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
Well truth is conditions are really bad at the Bateyes and the workers are kept in a sort of indenture servitude where they can almost never get any real money for their work as they are overcharged for housing, food, etc and by the time everything is deducted they have nothing left. On the other hand they do have the option to leave any time they feel like (at least I think so) and most of them do eventually.

TOOBER_SDQ

Bronze
Nov 19, 2008
What I found particularly interesting was the involvement of an Expat Priest named Father Christopher.

He rallied very publically to help the Haitians.

Eventually, according to the documentary, the sugar cane industry managed to get the DR government to remove him from the country.

Norma Rosa

Bronze
Feb 20, 2007
Well truth is conditions are really bad at the Bateyes and the workers are kept in a sort of indenture servitude where they can almost never get any real money for their work as they are overcharged for housing, food, etc and by the time everything is deducted they have nothing left. On the other hand they do have the option to leave any time they feel like (at least I think so) and most of them do eventually.

Only if it has changed in the last few years, those living in the bateyes and working for the sugar cane industry do not pay housing, electricity, or water.
You might want to search this information since it has been discussed before. (I lived in bateyes owned by the Viciny group, but grew up mainly in Ingenio Angelina.) The biggest food market (la bodega) was (is) owned by the Company, and very often the braceros were paid with some sort of paper money that they could only use in that store. They were not free to leave one plantation and go to another, since it was a "contract" (lol) with the Haitian government. Many Haitians found themselves in hot water for doing that. Many were thrown in jail. (A batey has its own jail and police.) I hope they are now free to leave if they want to. The Viciny Group is now building better housing for these people; sort of undoing some of the evil deeds perpetrated on Haitians.

Reactions: TOOBER_SDQ

Bernard Jean-Pierre

Oct 31, 2010
I think 'esclavos' is at least somewhat a fitting term, technically its not 'traditional' slavery, but the concept is always same - acquire VERY cheap (virtually 'free') labor, exploiting a persons need for food, clothing and shelter, keep a considerable level of 'control' physically and psychologically, general mistreatment and/or negligence of the 'workers', LARGE profits made by those at the top of the food chain (no pun intended, but I'll keep it).

Reasonably, not all Bateys are the same, some are in better conditions than others. However, its expected that such things (housing, water etc) WOULD be free, it would be ridiculous if they had to pay for an inconsistent, polluted and often non-existent water supply. The same could be said for the electricity, many Dominicans also don't pay for electricity because its very inconsistent. 2) As far as the 'rent' goes, the production they create, which thereby maximizes the profit margin for the owners could EASILY be used to build decent housing for ALL of them, and the top level would STILL make a killing because they have preferential trade with the U.S. as it is. So it is really surprising, rather shameful and sad how some people can live in pure luxury, enjoy their families and friends and live life to the full, but simultaneously bypass the idea that one self-generated sense of justice would bring - that thousands of less fortunate people are living in poverty because of it.

But perhaps its just another manifestation of how some people view other people. Whether the Vicini family is pure evil?? Who knows, probably not....but at the very least they could be considered morally negligent and ethically questionable. There ARE two sides to every story also......but I think its quite interesting and significant how the Priest acquired SO MANY enemies SO FAST...for simply trying to help. He was not pushing any Political agenda, or revolt against the Dominican government, he was just trying to help. I could EASILY see how he would have put himself at odds with the Vicini family and some of their Political 'Amores', but to have the people in general rise up against him as if he was about to lead the new Haitian revolution or something is kinda surprising and a tad bit disturbing.

As a result it appeared to be a social 'litmus' test of sorts - showing that there are a few potentially dangerous substances in the 'water' still - mainly: fear, falta de comunicacion, ignorance, pint up frustration, a sense of 'us' vs. 'them', and the ever present politically engendered but socially nurtured identity propaganda. I hope things get better.....for everyone.