Why did you choose to live in the DR?

T

Tamara

Hello,

I am interested in hearing from those of you who are expats from various countries living in the DR. Why did you choose the city that you live in? Did you have a job before you went, or was necessity the mother of invention? Are you happy with your decision? What is the best and worst of living overseas?

I want to move to the DR, but I worry about all of the "what if" scenarios. What if I can't get work, what if I can't do this or that....

I would like to know how you all did it.

Respectfully,
Tamara Alvarado

C

catherine

wow i cant believe im not the only one who feels the same way i live in ny im dying to move to DR but worry about the same things i get on line all the time to see if i find job opportunities over there i think if u live at home still or have something to come back to in NY you should just go for it if i find a good job out there that is what i plan to do at least for 6 months or a year good luck k.i.t.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
I have done it and....

my best advice is do it. Nothing worse than having regrets for not doing it. Best way to find a job is network here on the island. I don't know of many people that have found a job before they get here. Knowing Spanish will increase your chances considerably!

Rob.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
I had no experience in tourism...

and i didn't speak a word of Spanish, I did it the hard way.
What I had was an ability to network, BS a little and some good computer skills.

Rob.

H

hillbilly

Introspection helps

1) Ask yourself what talents and training you have to offer.
2) Ask, seriously now, Can I live without the K-Mart sort of stores? (and prices!!)
3) Ask can I live without electricity for hours at a time? Same thing for potable water, except in certain towns..
4) Ask what standard of living do you wish to live at?
5) Ask, will I be burning my ships or missing out on good things at home? Silly example, but years spent as golf pro here do not count for in-service training in the PGA...But think about things like Social Security, Medicaid etc....

This is just a starter list. It is best to be hired there and come here. If you are a "local hire" the pay is less, as is the prestige....Big step...
HB

H

Henry

Re: Introspection helps

Just do not bring all your money and loose it in the first week - OKAY!??

To many got here with the caribbean flavor and lost their dreams - don?t loose yours and enjoy the sun!!!

S

Shannon

WEBPAGE DESIGNERS

How is the field for webpage designers in the DR? That is what I do here in NY and would love to gain international experience. Where do I begin to look?

Thanks

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Lots of them....

Some good, some not so good, like any profession.
The rates are much lower in the DR, having contracted both work in New York and the DR. RD$8-10000 (US$480-600) per month gets you a full time web designer (young and creative).
Are they cutting edge, nope, but then for that amount you don't expect them to be.

What's lacking is good web marketing people that understand what it takes to market and sell a web site. To be honest thats lacking just about all over :-(

If anyone is reading this that's into cloaking, SE's, top lists, pay-per-click programs, banner exchanges etc etc drop me an email, a job in paradise awaits you.

Email: webmaster@dr1.com

Rob.

T

Tamara

Perhaps I should open a private school

Those are all good advices, but I wonder if I would make it. I will be graduating from the University of Miami soon with a teaching degree and a double major in Spanish. But, I have five children, four of my own, and one step daughter from Los Alcarrizos, Dominican Republic (just northwest of Santo Dominigo off the Duarte Highway). I wonder if the kid's would be resentful later on in life for having left the US.

I think what I am going to do is apply for a fullbright scholarship. If I were to obtain that, I would be given a flat rate for going overseas for a year, to do a self study program, such as observing the education system. I feel that is my best bet because I would not be as strapped for cash. But I am limited to my choices of cities, since my husband is a Race Horse Trainer, from the DR. He has only been in this country for 8 years, and insists that he only recently left, and really does not want to go back.
At least with a scholarship I would not be so pressured in my first year over there, and would have time to recoup and regroup.

Me on the other hand, I have island fever. Each year I go for a few weeks and live in los alcarrizos in a shack with no electric or indoor plumbing. Yes it is a difficult life, but my inlaws have a level of happiness that I only wish I could find. They have morals and values, and are G-d fearing. Which is a quality that I only wish more Americans had. Besides I have no living family outside of my father here in the US (besides hubby and kids) and my relationship with him is strained at best.

I want to escape from here (Miami), but I wonder if I would be able to create a lifestyle that would be meaningful and enriching form my children.

Having a background in Montessori Theory and Education, perhaps my best bet would be to plan on opening a small private school when I arrived. (my father owns a private school which I have co-administered since I was 20). However, my husband insists that we wait for my dad to retire so I can assume his position in the school we own. I on the other hand, feel like a vulture laying in waiting for good old dad to retire. I would much rather start on my own, in a place that I love so dearly.
Helping a country pull it's self up by the bootstraps through education. I would like to be part of the solution.

Well, I have rambled more than my share. Any more advice?

To see photos of my dominican vacations see the link.

J

jbup

Re: Perhaps we should organize a support group

I have been reading this board for two years. Every so often I come across a posting where people (including myself) are considering starting a new life in the DR. Well, why dont we organize a support group. There are a couple of people on the board who are very experienced on this topic,. maybe they can
lead the group.

T

Tamara

Over my dead body!

Not in a Million Years!

I would never leave my children, they need me, and I need them. Besides my kid are more Dominican than their dad is. It would be a wonderful wish come true for them to be with their cousins, aunt, uncles and grandparents.

It is unfortunate that it is always us parent types, and adult types, who worry about the money. Kids, well they are diffrent. Perhaps they fit in better with the domincan mentality.

I am not being defensive, but VERY FEW mothers who have their prioritys in order would ever accept the notion of leaving her children for a year.

Respectfully,
Tamara Alvarado

C

Charlie W.

Re: Perhaps I should open a private school

Well, you've honestly stated your yearning for perhaps a "more soul satisfying and simplier life" in the D.R. and there is nothing wrong with that. But your decision-making process to relocate to the D.R. is compounded by children and a native husband that may not share your desires to leave what the U.S. has to offer. It would not be fair for you to relocate your family against their desires only in pursuit of your own happiness. Good intentions are often the road to hell and you may find yourself quagmired in continual resentment from family that you cannot escape no matter how hard you try.

N

Natasha

Acetaminophen would help...

...with the fever that is (smile)

I am just trying a little humor here because I think you should really think about your life and *most importantly* the lives of your five children before considering uprooting them to "try out" a life in the DR. If it were you and your husband and even perhaps a child or two, but you have five children to think about. I am sure you are a great mother and I sure you will do what is best not only for you, but for your entire family.

Don't blame you for wanting to leave Miami ;-) but start asking yourself some really hard questions, see HB's post.

In reference to leaving your children temporarily, I have met several women that have done just that. When I was in graduate school, I met women from all over the planet who had come to the US to do master degrees. It was heartbreaking for them to leave their kids, but they did it precisely because they wanted to gain more education in order to give their kids a better life. Of course this takes a supportive husband and extended family assistance, which they fortunately had. I am not advocating anything here, except that you do a lot of thinking, but perhaps Phyllis' idea isn't so bad afterall. Another tip, it always helps me to write things out when I have a major decision to make. But heck, I am a true Libra woman so it takes me forever to make a decision anyway! Have not had any regrets in my life so far so perhaps there is something to be said for taking one's time? Good luck!!!

Regards,
Natasha

A

Ada P.

Re: Perhaps I should open a private school

I understand exactly what you are going through, except I have already made the decision of moving to the Dominican Republic. I made this decision after a year and half of just not knowing what to do. I am leaving because my boyfriend of 5 years left to D.R. and does not want to come back. I am 24 years old and a teacher in NY. I am also looking for work over there. It was a hard decision for me to make, and I don't have kids, so I can imagine what it must be for you. I am a risk taker so I would tell you to do it for at least a year and see how it goes. But that's just me.