Cabarete-Victorian Condos

Status
Not open for further replies.

3speed

Jan 1, 2011
Hi there i will be coming to cabarete at the end of Jan. My wife and I stayed there (at a different place) about 5 years ago. We loved it and knew we had to come back. We have some questions-- the place looks awesome so no questions there, but I'm wondering how far a walk to Cabarete along the beach it is---I've heard 10 min to half an hour, with high tide blocking the way at times? We have a four year old so distance wise it makes a difference. We are renting a car so we can always drive it but we'd rather walk. Also is it safe to walk home after sunset (not 1am, more like 7 or 8 pm). We are also wondering about getting food when we get there, we are arriving on a Sunday night at around six so we'd like to get some groceries somewhere on the way...will anything be open? Is it easy to exchange us travelers cheques into drp? Finally if anyone has some recommendations of stuff to do with a four year old that would be great...thanks in advance sorry for all the questions!

Last edited:

Bob K

Silver
Aug 16, 2004
Good post from windeguy. No you cannot walk it on the beach most of the time as tides, waves and rocks will make it difficult especially with a 4 year old. I also agree walking from town along the beach to that condo is not the safest thing you can do.
Besides Janet's in Cabarete there is a slightly larger supermarket in Sosua that you will pass on the way fromt the airport and it will be open at that hour. As you come to the first light in Sosua it is on you right.

Don't bring travelers checks. They are very hard to use here and most places including most banks will not take them. Those that do will charge you a very high "commission"" to cash them. Rather if you don't want to carry lots of cash with you use your ATM or Debit card. Two things about that:
1. Try to use them at a bank during banking hours so if there is a probelm you maybe able to fix it
2. Notify your home bank that you are traveling here and using the card. If you don't they will put a hold on the card fearing fraud.

Have a great trip.

The condo you are staying at is in a new complex right on the ocean with a nice pool. However the ocean is too rough in that area for swiming again especially with a 4 year old, but a nice walking beach during the day.

Bob K

Reactions: mike l

oriole100

Bronze
Oct 9, 2005
The Amex office in Cabatere will change your travlers checks. Go to AAA at home and get them. I think Jannet's closes at 1-2 on Sundays. You have a car so you may want to stop at Playero in Sasua. They're open till 8. If we're going to be comming late, we just pack some stuff to eat in the morning. Everyone will be tired and fall asleep anyway. The beach where you are staying is not safe for a 4 yr. old. If you drive into Caberete, there is a new parking lot, owned by BUN. Next to the ice cream store. Park for 5hrs. 100rd. You can spend all day in town and not have to drag things with you. If you need any other info PM me. We live here.

3speed

Jan 1, 2011
thanks everyone for all your helpful posts. my daughter wouldn't go anywhere near a rough ocean anyway but the beach itself looks nice to walk on. Also any beaches close by that are a little more calm in case we want to get into the ocean? Also if anyone has any reccomendations on places to take a four year old, that would be great...thanks everyone!

Daniel10

Apr 19, 2010
danny-in-dr.blogspot.com
Rosa (next to the petrol station) is open on Sundays and so is the supermarket in the centre of Cabarete. But they don't have as great assortment as Janets. But emergency sunday shopping is possible in Cabarete with no problems. For swimming with the family you're better off in Sosua beach or even better: Playa Granda. (45 mins outside Cabarete) get some nice seafood there too, right on the beach with table and chairs being brought to your spot. Enjoy your holidays.

janbell

Jan 10, 2009
We stayed at the Victorian two years ago and found the walk to town was ok by the beach during the day. Approx. 20 minutes. I walk slow. :) At night we did walk along the roadway because the tide made it impossible to walk the beach. We took a flashlight with us as the road has potholes etc. I wouldn't have walked it alone but with my husband it was ok.

We also went to cabarete last year with our 3 yr. old grandson we found that some beach toys was all he needed to have fun for the week. We found a little protected area of water that was shallow located at the east end of Cabarete Bay right behind Janet's supermaket. My grandson just loved "little beach" that we called it.

Janets supermarket will be closed Sunday but we stopped at the supermarket in Sosua on the way in and picked up a few groceries.

We are going back to Cabarete in two weeks will be staying at Ocean Dream my Grandson is coming down to visit with us in Feb. and he can't wait to get back to "little beach"...enjoy!

Bigocean

Nov 25, 2010
Playa Grande can be dangerous.

Rosa (next to the petrol station) is open on Sundays and so is the supermarket in the centre of Cabarete. But they don't have as great assortment as Janets. But emergency sunday shopping is possible in Cabarete with no problems. For swimming with the family you're better off in Sosua beach or even better: Playa Granda. (45 mins outside Cabarete) get some nice seafood there too, right on the beach with table and chairs being brought to your spot. Enjoy your holidays.

Playa Grande is not a safe beach for swimming. While it can be calm, it usually has strong undercurrents that make swimming very dangerous. Many people have drowned there for that reason. However, between Rio San Juan and Playa Grande you will find Playa Caleton, which is usually very calm and is a very good place to swim due to the orientation of the cove in which it sits. Sosua beach, as mentioned before, is close to Cabarete and also a good swimming beach.

DavidZ

Silver
Aug 29, 2005
www.vipcigartours.com
Good point oriole100 about going to Playero in Sosua since it is later on a Sunday and Janet's will probably be closed.

Does anybody know the actual closing time of Janet's on a Sunday?

Janet's closes at 12 noon on Sundays...unless they've changed that since they expanded the store.

wakefrank

Jan 28, 2008
How about just heading down to La Boca de Yasica.
Great little local restaurant, with fresh fish, lobster etc. Fresh water river without current to swim in for your grandson. On sundays a lot of locals go there. Ask anyone in the Victorian and they will know the place and how to get there (really easy)

From the Victorian it is a 10 minute drive.

Enjoy your stay!
http://www.activecabarete.com/special/gallery.php?g2_itemId=521

Bizguyeh

Dec 4, 2010
The Victorian, Cabarete

I know this will be late for 3speed's visit to the Victorian, but I live there and can confirm a few things as of Apr 2011.
Janet's is open from 8am to 8pm daily, incl Saturdays and closes at noon on Sundays.

I've walked the road and the beach at night (I'm a guy) and feel safe, but moonlight is certainly helpful on the beach. The road at night is certainly safe (from "bandito's" as I suspect that is your concern), but you do have to be mindful of the traffic, including some moto conchos with no lights. The beach shoreline between town and The Victorian is very dynamic and there will be times when you could get wet by some of the condos/buildings close to the beach. Right now (April 2011), you can walk down the laneway just pass Janets to get to the beach, and walk from there to The Vic during high and low tides without getting wet. However, I couldn't do that and stay dry in January. Yes it is currently suitable for a four year old to walk with you, but it'll be a long walk for short legs. Around the point by Janets and the Sans Souci Hotel it is very difficult to pass along the shore. There is a sandy path above the rocks, but might be a bit tricky for older folk or young ones.

The beach near the Victorian is very usable, but often not for a four year old. There is a rock reef that parallels the shore, about 50 feet out, but older kids and adults can play in the waves between it and the shore. I usually go swimming a bit further east near and past the Ocean Manor. Sometimes you can go out for a couple of hundred metres in all sand, other times it could be a rocky bottom... again the beach, sand and currents are dynamic and ever changing so what was nice one week may not be the next. The waves are great and this past weekend there were adults and kids (8-12 years old), playing well out from the shore with a surf board and boogie boards in some great wave action in front of the Ocean Manor next door. We are totally exposed to the Atlantic so we do have more active waves here. This past summer during low tide, there were actually some great shallow areas here with a couple of inches of water that would have been perfect for little ones yonger than four. Again the sands always change so what is good one week, one month, one visit, etc. could be different the next time you are here.

The beach in Cabarete is actually very nice (you don't have to go all the way to Sosua) and yes a four year old would need to be closely supervised but could enjoy the surf near the shore. Again you need to be mindful of the wave action being different on any given day... so stay with your child. The beach further east along Cabarete Bay is fairly sheltered by the rocky point near the Sans Souci Hotel. As janbell mentioned it is a much better place for smaller tikes and todlers along Cabarete Bay.

Good suggestion by wakefrank to try La Boca restaurant and Bar at the Yasica River. It is operated by Wilson, a great guy who runs river tours complete with pig roasts, fish lunches and night time bon fires on the beach... excellent food and a great host. Right now the river does have a very long sheltered beach and a few small calm, shallow pools away from the ocean and is absolutely perfect for the smallest of kids with mom or dad nearby, of course. Yes La Boca is a 10 min ride or a hefty 5km walk along the beach from The Victorian. I usually jog it from, takes 30 minutes one way, but a walk depending on the speed could be a good hour or so one way (certainly not a good walk with little ones). Oh yes, a walk into town along the road is about 10min to Janets and another 7 minutes to Casanova's Restaurant downtown. I find that a beach walk just about doubles the time, but is much nicer. You can purchase fresh fruit along the way. We often buy them at E+E's a little shop about half way between Janets and here. There are several awesome local restaurants on the way into town. Marisco is one and is teamed up with Punto Frio Bar on the opposite side of the street. Order a 1/4 chicken diner at Marisco and they will deliver (yes, walk it across the street) to Punto Frio. You can have a 1/4 BBQ chicken diner, with rice and beans, plus a Presidente Grande for just over 200 pesos... about $5.50 US. Awesome food and a great oceanfront setting at Punto Frio. Don't go too late as the music might be a bit touch too loud. Two other good restaurants on the same side as Marisco... one is beside the police station and is set back from the street (very popular and difficult to get a table at lunchtime), the other is a few doors down (heading into town) and is right beside the street.

I have not been to Playa Caleton yet, but have also heard many good things about the beach and the food. Certainly a great recommendation by other posters.

Hope this helps understand more about The Victorian and our area of town. We do have some pictures of La Boca and other places on facebook... check victoriancabarete.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Does anyone know when Wilson took over the restaurant at La Boca?

Nice report.

Jan 17, 2009
Good point oriole100 about going to Playero in Sosua since it is later on a Sunday and Janet's will probably be closed.

Does anybody know the actual closing time of Janet's on a Sunday?

Janet's closes at 12pm on Sundays. La Rosa stays open until 10pm. A smaller place right in the middle of town, Albertico, works well for some emergency shopping.

Bizguyeh

Dec 4, 2010
Nice report.

Hola windeguy. Thanks for the report compliment. BTW, I need to clarify something about La Boca Grill from my 04-12 posting. Wilson stopped by my condo today and I now realize that there are two restaurants/bars in the main building on the Yasica River. La Boca Grill is on the river side of the large building and is owned / operated by Christino. Laguna Bar / Grill is on the ocean side (half) of the building and is owned / operated by Wilson (Willy). Wilson mentioned that Laguna is open from 9am - 5pm.... I didn't get the hours for La Boca. Hopes this takes care of any concerns that La Boca Grill may have changed hands. Sorry about the confusion.

Status
Not open for further replies.