How does DHL work?

Mmeli

Dec 24, 2010
Hey,

I would like to send a little package to someone in Punta Cana, and they mentioned to use DHL, but I have never used that company before. How does it work? Does anyone know where the location for DHL would be in the Punta Cana/ Bavaro area?

Thank for all your help :D

Mel

Feb 7, 2007
Where are you sending from? If from within the DR, I would recommend your using MetroPack or Expreso Nacional by Vimenca.

If from abroad, you can use Fedex, DHL or UPS.

UPS is the only one of three that does own deliveries in the East (including Bavaro/PUJ area). DHL sends into interior by MetroPack and Fedex subcontracts to Domicilio Expreso.

If sent by UPS/Fedex, they will call the recipient on the phone number listed on Airbill and will make arrangements for delivery (place, time, etc.). They do once-a-day trips to the east. If sent by DHL, the recipient will need to contact DHL in Santo Domingo once the package gets there and make delivery arrangements (release) to be sent by MetroPack to bavaro. The recipient will then pick up in MetroPack office in Mailboxes ETC in Bavaro (Palma Real) or MBETC in PUJ (Galerias Punta cana ..).

Mmeli

Dec 24, 2010
thanks so mcuh for your help! I am sending from Canada. So if I tell the company where I want the package to go to theyll help me out and let me know what I ahve to do? The person receiving the package says theres a pick up place in Bavaro for DHL...

Feb 7, 2007
Yes the pickup place in Bavaro would be Mailboxes etc, most likely.

If you are sending letter/documents, you can use DHL, Fedex or UPS, whatever will be cheaper for you. If you are sending goods, you should use UPS or DHL, I would not recommend using Fedex because DR customs have a "thing" for them...

Mmeli

Dec 24, 2010
JDJones:

The person who is getting the package said to use DHL, I guess thats the closest outlet to him, but UPS would be just the same no? Like I said I have no clue whats going on lol.. I am planning to go down in June, I think I may just gather up things and bring it with me but I would like him to have this before I go.

caribmike

Gold
Jul 9, 2009
...If sent by DHL, the recipient will need to contact DHL in Santo Domingo once the package gets there and make delivery arrangements (release) to be sent by MetroPack to bavaro. The recipient will then pick up in MetroPack office in Mailboxes ETC in Bavaro (Palma Real) or MBETC in PUJ (Galerias Punta cana ..).

Sorry, old thread and maybe dumb question: How I would know if the delivery has arrived in SDQ? The sender would have to supply me with a tracking number, right? And if he don't, what could I possibly do?

Thanks
Michael