Hotel Sensation

G

Garv

I'm looking for the phone#, FAX# and/or address of the Hotel Sensation in Puerto Plata. It may be spelled Sencacion or something like that.

P

Phyllis

Re: Whats wrong with sex?

There is nothing wrong with sex - it's one of life's greatest things!! However, on the message board, I've always understood that soliciting is NOT allowed, and even more so when it comes to sexual activities.

R

Ronald McIntosh

Noone is soliciting anyone..

Just providing information, which is what this board is for!

T

Tgf

Re: Noone is ...promoting???

I have issues with this promotion of materials. I reviewed the website and found several assumptions and incorrect information... such as the DR does not have mechanisms for the father of children not to be held responsible financially for the child he fathered. They do have the mechanisms if a court is brought into the issue and it can be enforced legally. It often isn't - but the laws are there. I have nothing against sexual activities between two consenting adults. I HAVE A BIG ISSUE with the promotion of sex tourism. It has all sorts of unsavory attached attributes such as the spreading of sexual diseases and often the corruption of minors, etc. Your possible counter-argument, that prostitution is legal, that they are supporting their families by selling their bodies, that you don't force them into it, doesn't address the fact that AIDS/SIDA is the number one cause of death in the DR among people between the ages of 25-40, nor that it is mainly a heterosexually transmitted disease in the DR. I didn't see any warning or suggestion that all sexual contact should be made through a condom. Did you know that a study done by a WHO (World Health Organization) team found that 33% of all prostitutes in the Puerto Plata area were HIV positive. You may like the friendly, willing, inexpensive, women of Puerto Plata but I hope you don't pay the ultimate price for your dalliance, as all too many of these poor women will pay (with their lives) for their choice to engage in this profession.

P

Phyllis

Everyone should read this!!

Thanks Tgf, your report on the amount of AIDS in the DR is incredible!! I knew about Haiti, but never heard about the DR being this bad!! PLEASE, protect yourself everyone!

T

Tgf

I should make a clarification and correction to my earlier post on this issue. AIDS is not the number one killer of people between 25-45 in the DR. However, it is a major cause of AIDS-related illnesses that kill many people in the DR (no one has ever died of AIDS, just diseases that the destruction of one's autoimmune systems by AIDS has permitted to ravage the body - a very fine distinction - especially to the victims and their families.). Either way, if you play with the professionals of Puerto Plata at the bars or Hotel Sensacion as suggested by the above link listed by Ronald and requested by Garv, use a condom. Plus see the link below about certain international prevention programs that have had a certain amount of success via education to prevent the spread of this disease. If you have to engage in this kind of activity, at least be smart about it.

N

Natasha

Thanks Tgf for the information. The use of a condom cannot be stressed enough. Here are some additional cold, hard facts about AIDS in the Caribbean and in the DR.

HIV/AIDS IN THE CARIBBEAN

February 2001

The Caribbean is the region hardest hit by HIV/AIDS in the world outside sub-Saharan Africa.

Nine out of the 12 countries with the highest HIV prevalence in the Americas are in the Caribbean basin.

AIDS has become a major cause of death among men and women in the 15 to 44 age group in several countries.

An estimated 60,000 adults and children became infected during 2000 in the Caribbean island states.

By end 2000 some 390,000 adults and children were estimated to be living with HIV or AIDS, compared with 360,000 at the end of 1999. However, given the lack of consistent data from some countries and the uncertainty around such estimates, the real number could well be closer to 500 000.

The epidemic continues to spread in the region, devastating countries? economies and various sectors, including education, health, agriculture, and business.

According to the most recent figures, over 7% of pregnant women in urban Guyana tested positive for HIV.

Haiti is the worst-affected nation in the Caribbean. In some areas, 13% of anonymously tested pregnant women were found to be HIV-positive. Overall, around 8% of adults in urban areas and 4% in rural areas are infected. It is estimated that 74,000 Haitian children had lost their mothers to AIDS by the end of 1999.

In the Bahamas the adult prevalence rate is 4%. In the Dominican Republic 1 adult in 40 is HIV-infected, while in Trinidad and Tobago the rate is 1 adult in 100.

In some countries the epidemic has had a slower start. In Saint Lucia, the Cayman Islands and the British Virgin Islands fewer than 1 pregnant woman in 500 tested positive for HIV in recent surveillance studies, but this is no reason for complacency.

Heterosexual HIV transmission in the Caribbean is driven by the deadly combination of early sexual activity and frequent partner exchange by young people. For example, in Saint Vincent and the Grenadines, a quarter of men and women in a recent national survey said they had started having sex before the age of 14, and half of both men and women were sexually active at the age of 16.

In Trinidad and Tobago, in a large survey of men and women in their teens and early twenties, fewer than a fifth of the sexually active respondents said they always used condoms, and two-thirds did not use condoms at all.

Age mixing - younger women having sex with older men - also drives the Caribbean epidemic. HIV rates are five times higher in girls than boys aged 15-19 in Trinidad and Tobago. At one surveillance centre for pregnant women in Jamaica, girls in their late teens had almost twice the prevalence rate of older women.

February 2001

L

Linc

Re: Okay - looks like a Sex type hotel, no thanks!

Great site I will Be visiting his hotel Thanks Ronald