Encuentro beach

Status
Not open for further replies.

wrecksum

Bronze
Sep 27, 2010
Does anyone know what's happening on the Encuentro Beach?
There have been gunshots daily for a few days now and I'm not going to find out what's down there. Sounds like it's just gone upscale to assault rifles by the sound of it tonight.
Somebody must know something. Land wars or what? All sorts of fences going up and then getting knocked down.
Not nice.

ADECA

Apr 22, 2009
The legal owners of the land had won a bit of a victory when they successfully got authorities to evict Arismendy Monegro (Club Mendy) from the land he had invaded. Unfortunately he didn't spend too much time behind bars and decided to test his luck by sending armed men into the area to vandalize and terrorize. Cabarete police arrested six of the intruders, but they were soon released. Not clear yet what the response of authorities will be, but the advice above to stay out of the area until things cool down should be followed.

FritoBandito

Bronze
Dec 19, 2009
The legal owners of the land had won a bit of a victory when they successfully got authorities to evict Arismendy Monegro (Club Mendy) from the land he had invaded. Unfortunately he didn't spend too much time behind bars and decided to test his luck by sending armed men into the area to vandalize and terrorize. Cabarete police arrested six of the intruders, but they were soon released. Not clear yet what the response of authorities will be, but the advice above to stay out of the area until things cool down should be followed.

Was that the new bar that opened a couple of months ago, right near that big golf ball sign on the main highway???

If it is, I stopped by there a couple of times because the owner's wife is a barmaid at Classicos in Sosua, and she invited me visit the bar, and it was just off the main highway near the golf ball sign...

Acira

Silver
Sep 20, 2009
www.blazingfuries.com
El Kiosko is a new bar and is definitely worth a visit, nice atmosphere, good food and very reasonable priced drinks and good service.

So...how far away from El Kiosko is this other bar...just out of interest.

Papa Benito

Dec 5, 2006
Many gunfights in this area for years!

This is the ''wild west''. The Josephina Covents development and the older casas are quite vulnerable. In 2007, they tried to shoot me through my kitchen window! AVOID this lawless area! Security is worthless or ''in cahoots''! The police refuse to respond!

Acira

Silver
Sep 20, 2009
www.blazingfuries.com
Yeah ok, no problem but please "specify" your wild wild west area a bit more because I could name you also a couple of - in my opinion - wild wild west area's where I used to live and a couple of 100 meters further you could sit on a terrace outside and enjoy an evening coctail.

wrecksum

Bronze
Sep 27, 2010
I went there yesterday morning and all seemed normal except for broken fences. Lots of tourists surfing and horse riding. There was a sort of meeting with press and someone important and someone who looked like Mendy( but I'm not sure from that distance) shouting a lot.
Paintball area has been dismantled and seems to have been replaced with the real thing at night so bring your own shotgun.
They only have red though.

Islander777

Sep 19, 2008
Thank you Windy Fellow for the interesting link which suggests that Nikki Beach will be the new developer in the Encuentro area.

I walked to Encuentro yesterday from Cabarete center on the beach without incident. Upon arrival there was a small knot of people gathered under the trees to the left of the former Clubhouse.

My surfing friends report that a structure belonging to Arismendes and used by Ally and Antonio as a cafeteria was trashed on New Year's eve but has since reopened. Otherwise surfing activities have continued in peace.

Confirming the first message in this thread, my friend with tenants in the area reports lots of gunfire at night, ie more than usual.

ADECA

Apr 22, 2009
The situation remains as I reported in my above post. The small press gathering mentioned above was Arismendy giving his spin on events to a pliant local media. And yes, Arismendy has been extorting rent from the surf shops even though he had no legal claim to the land. For those who were not aware, Arismendy about six months ago was named, or named himself "Coordinador del Movimiento Nacional Leonelista," which may give some idea of why the justice system seems to have such a difficult time holding someone with so many criminal denunciations against him.

Conchman

Silver
Jul 3, 2002
www.oceanworld.net
This sounds like such a typical Dominican situation. It has all the main components, the well connected squatting land owner extorting from small shops, the legal owner not being able to get hold of the property, gun shots and intimidation, the press probably getting paid by both sides to tell the story, and innocent people caught in the middle. It hardly can get more Dominican!

wrecksum

Bronze
Sep 27, 2010
So who is shooting and at what or whom then? Can't be just 'high spirits' or bigboy paintball I reckon! I'm not that bothered about them peppering each other with buckshot but a combat rifle can do a lot of damage a long way away. I've only heard shotguns since that night though thankfully.
I thought the beach is supposed to be public in the DR so how can someone 'Own' it?

ADECA

Apr 22, 2009
The beach is public. The land up to it is privately owned, at least in Encuentro. The shots have come from the armed men Arismendy is using to try and reassert control after his eviction. The sand bag implacements are to protect the owner's security staff from the opposing gun fire.

wrecksum

Bronze
Sep 27, 2010
Ok.

I think.

So who is then the "Owner"? And of which bit?
So the owner has armed men as well as Sen. Mendy?
Who is the 'Good Guy" and who is the "Bad Guy"?

Somebody's put up posts and gates as well across the new road. Weird!
Shouldn't the Police be doing something to protect us non-combatants who live nearby?
Can I join in the Fray? Which side do I root for?
I'm hopelessly confused!!
(But that's normal).

Status
Not open for further replies.