pet question

pularvik

Jan 2, 2011
Do pets need heartworm medication? How about flea and tick prevention? We will be in the Samana/Cabrera area Jan and Feb.

puryear270

Bronze
Aug 26, 2009
Either a swarm of mosquitos or Dracula attacked me two nights ago while I was sleeping. I'm thinking of getting all of the above for myself. ;)

Jan 17, 2009
Wow! Dr. Bob in Sosua told us that we didn't need heart worm medication for our dog. This was five years ago. She hasn't had any since then even though I had brought several packages from the US. I'll have to look into this again.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
give your dog deparasitant for all parasites possible. i do. better safe than sorry. besides our dogs do go for walks so who knows what they can pick up...

Acira

Silver
Sep 20, 2009
www.blazingfuries.com
I can only speak from own experience that for holiday's and in our case some day's over in a high risk area for heart worm in the States, our vet didn't found it necessary for our dog to have the medication, only a test once back home to see if the dog wasn't infected which was never the case.

Living here is a totaly different case and although I am alway's very much cautious with injections and inoculations and certainly if you have border collies and aussies like we do who can respond very badly to certain drugs (genetically defined), I do give every one of my dogs here all necessary inoculations.