La Romana...Martial arts??

brazilusa

Jan 3, 2011
Language/Culture
I am visiting the DR and staying in La Romana. I am looking for Chinese martial arts, kung fu, wushu, tai chi. I would also like to learn about other martial arts here in La Romana. Any info would be much appreciated.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Judo at the Sports Pavilion over by the Ball Park...ask for Botello or Walkiria..good people

HB

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Alll well and good, Milo, but you need to learn to read English a little better: I would also like to learn about other martial arts here in La Romana. Any info would be much appreciated.
I am fully aware that judo is Japanese. As a 7-time National and International Champion I am well aware of its origins.

At my age I would love to see Tai Chi in Santiago!! Less aches and pains than at the dojo...

HB

brazilusa

Jan 3, 2011
Language/Culture
I picked up some sickness..bad stomach cramps so I might not be able to participate but I am obsessed with martial arts so at least I will go talk with them. I thought there might have been a bit more martial artists here in La Romana...

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
You can find good stomack medicines at the "farmacias" : they have PeptoBismal and other remedies, even Kaopectate...Do not take antibiotics, just lots of bottled water, Gatorade, and other liquids...

Be careful of what you eat!! Nothing on the street, and nothing you don't peel yourself.

If you can, go see Carlitos at Dom Ham, over near the Centro Medico Canela, he can help you with anything to see or do in La Romana. "Dom Ham" is THE place for fun folks of a certain standard. No cueros or low life..

HB

brazilusa

Jan 3, 2011
Language/Culture
La Romana martial arts and being sick :(

I went to Good Samaritan Hospital. It was okay. Tested and I had numerous bacteria...arghhh. Oh well. 5 days of the antibiotic and they always want to give me a shot for pain..

Felling a bit better today. I will go tomorrow and find the Judo people here. Maybe they might know some other martial arts teachers. My family here are basketball people and don't know much about other sports. Went to a Los Torros baseball game, got tickets from a friend on the team.
I have only seen judo a few times. I did Chinese Shiao Chiao a long time ago.
Many gringos are into Brazilian Jiu-jitsu, so I know most about that.

I plan to head to Santo Domingo at the end of the week. Chinese martial arts first and then visit some other schools.

My email.. brazilusa@hotmail.com

brazilusa

Jan 3, 2011
Language/Culture
Martial arts

I am looking for a place here and I am wondering if you can make money teaching self defense or martial arts? Doesn't seem like there is much call for it in La Romana. If I can't do it for money then I will find another good business here and teach it as a hobby or at a church.

brazilusa

Jan 3, 2011
Language/Culture
Just a quick note...
Judo comes from Jiu Jitsu.
Karate comes from...well..depends what style and country. Southern China..to Okinawa, to Japan and Korea.
Wushu is a modern term..now used to designate the more modern..sport style.
Aikido comes from Aiki-Jitsu....the same root as Hapkido. Just different expressions of each. One Japanese and the other Korean.
The term I learned before kung fu and now wushu is chuan fa.
When styles were introduced in the USA...everyone called kung fu...karate, because it was more well known.
I love martial arts history and learning all I can!!!!!

Last edited: