Where would you stay in DR for 3 months?

oilrigr

Nov 30, 2010
im planning on leaving in a couple of weeks. just want some feedback on where would you stay if you were a traveller on a budget of 1000$ canadian a month. Bare in mind its my first time ever going to DR. Male in 30s wanting a fun time with minimal funds.
thks

rsg

Bronze
Oct 21, 2008
im planning on leaving in a couple of weeks. just want some feedback on where would you stay if you were a traveller on a budget of 1000$ canadian a month. Bare in mind its my first time ever going to DR. Male in 30s wanting a fun time with minimal funds.
thks

I would stay in Canada for 6 more weeks,and then Enjoy the DR for 6 weeks..$3000 in 3 months will be tough...

oilrigr

Nov 30, 2010
why another 6 weeks. i mean as far as finding accomodations (its done). they charge me 250 a month (canadian) and give me a room. so the rest of the time i am free. so i think i could survive. i dont think it would cost me more than 750 a month for food, drinks, transportation. what do you think. the option i have is to stay in munoz puerto plata. they are some canadian friends that have been in the dominican for 15 years.

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
No, LT is not cheaper! In fact, it is ranked as tHE most expensive place in the DR to live.. but if ... and that is a big if.... you could score a place to stay for as low a price as you are getting in Puerto Plata.. it will be more fun!! if you read French, try looking at LT-7, the local paper which is posted on line.

DavidZ

Silver
Aug 29, 2005
www.vipcigartours.com
so where is the cheapest place to stay?

If you've never been to the DR and are looking to relax and have fun for three months, you probably don't want to stay in Munoz...you can get a pretty decent hotel in Sosua or Cabarete for around $30 a day..stay there for a few days and ask around for a better monthly option. There are some, but not many, apartments/studios available in either place for $250-300/month...and you'll be around tourists from around the world, if that's what you want...if you want a more "immersive" Dominican experience...then Munuz would be cool...if you want to be in a beautiful place with nice beaches, good food, decent bars, and a french accent...LT would be great, but it' a little tougher to stick to a $1000/month budget there...but can be done.

You could live in any part of this country for $1000 a month, depends on the experience you want to have...

slas7713

Aug 9, 2004
I think Sosua

I think Sosua is probably what you're looking for. Ask around and talk to the local expats for monthly options. Look at around $30 a night for a hotel until you find longer term. I know the German hotel on the main strip is just under $30 and has decent accommodations, clean with cable TV and hot water.

On $1000 you need to be careful. If you speak Spanish of course it will help. It's easy to get there and go a little crazy, especially if you're a single guy wanting to have some "fun" and blow off steam. Buying from the colmados and not eating out so much will help some. Rum and salami is still cheap.

Good luck and watch your back and your wallet. Basically, just be smart.

SL