moving in August 2011

Diem

Jan 3, 2011
Hello!
I've read many of the posts already and found them to be very helpful! But I just want to know if anyone has any leads on where to apply for the 2011/2012 school year.

I have sent my resume to a few schools already via email...is that a good idea? Do schools generally check emails regularly? I'm hoping to secure a job in DR as soon as possible so I can make the proper plans to be there by August 2011.

My biggest concern is that I don't have a teacher's certification (yet) but I do have teaching experience and am working on my master's in teaching.

Any suggestions?

[I'm looking to go to either Santo Domingo or Punta Cana/Bavaro area].

wylechile_2000

Apr 18, 2008
Re

Well thats great! i'm moving there in july 2011 God willing. I'm looking at Santo domino, Santiago, Or Puerto Plata. I dont care which.I ususally find job ads around March- May for teaching positions. The best thing I think though is to get here a bit early and hit the sidewalk. Go from school to school. What kind of teaching do you want to do? I am an elementary school teacher and I teach ESL. I recently got my TEYL certification from the University of Maryland. Keep me posted maybe we can exchange ideas and info. Who knows maybe we'll end up moving to the same town. Do you have kids?

BLUEPRETTY

Dec 25, 2010
I think it'contact to contact schools by email. That's what you would do in the US as a part of your job search anyway. I'm also interested in moving to DR and have only one contact for farI'm also interested in the Bavaria/Punta Cana area. My prospective jobwill have me there by March. This is just a short time away! I need to have more choices just in case that foesn't work out. Does you anyone have a list of schools that you know are hiring in DR with good benefits? I need all the help I can get!

Diem

Jan 3, 2011
Wyle- I don't have any kids...I would be going by myself, which is why I'm hoping to secure something before I go, even if its just one job and then I find another once I'm there. I think I'm going to try to get my TEFL as well and maybe that will make it easier to find work. *fingers crossed* I'm currently teaching elementary ESL in Asia and want to do the same in DR (I'm also open to specifically which area, I just think Santo Domingo would have more options). It would be great if we ended up in the same place!! I'll keep you posted!

Bluepretty- How did you find your current job option? Through email? When I email, no one seems to respond. Should I start calling? And if you don't mind, how much will this job pay you? I'm trying to see if I'll need to work 2 jobs while I'm in DR. I found a great list of schools from a few of the posts on here, but like I said, they aren't responding to email so maybe these lists aren't so helpful :/

BLUEPRETTY

Dec 25, 2010
I found the job through my college placement office. They email all students in the program about jobs. This will be my first international job. Will get more details on job next week when I speak to the principal.I will let you know when I get more info.

Diem

Jan 3, 2011
That sounds great! I'm hoping to secure something soon, so I'll keep looking as well! :)

wylechile_2000

Apr 18, 2008
Diem
sounds good!! I think it's best when you are actually in the DR. But I hope you find something if you do please let me know. Im really trying to concentrate on finding a job teaching kids because thats what I like. But I can teach adults too.Anyway stay in touch.

Bluepretty
what school are you going to work in? Could you let me know if they need anyone else? What area are you moving too? Maybe we can meet and exchange ideas and such.

mxcutie

Jan 12, 2010
I am currently teaching in Punta Cana. When i applied, i applied by email or using online applications. A bit after i applied online, i followed up all applications with a phone call. I was offered 3 interviews and was able to choose where i wanted to go. So far it has been an amazing experience. If you have any questions you can pm me.

BLUEPRETTY

Dec 25, 2010
Where in Punta Cana are you teaching? It sounds like your job search paid off. Can you tell me how to do a job search for teaching positions in the Bavaro/Punta Cana area, that would enable me to get more offers just like you did? I want to be able to get other opportunities just in case the offer I have does not work out.

Thanks for your help in advance.

Santiagoguy

Apr 21, 2009
[/B]
I think it'contact to contact schools by email. That's what you would do in the US as a part of your job search anyway. I'm also interested in moving to DR and have only one contact for farI'm also interested in the Bavaria/Punta Cana area. My prospective jobwill have me there by March. This is just a short time away! I need to have more choices just in case that foesn't work out. Does you anyone have a list of schools that you know are hiring in DR with good benefits? I need all the help I can get!

I hope you're not coming here to teach ENGLISH! jaja

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
[/B]

I hope you're not coming here to teach ENGLISH! jaja

ha ha ha
yep,
here the education goes down Hill.
and also "coming in March to Teach",
heck, that is in the midle of the schoolyear, who needs to hire new teachers by then?

now is the time to look for a job there for the new school year after the summer break 2011, lol.

btw,
for the requested Good Paid Jobs a bit of Basic written English would not be a hindering ground.

Mike