Dec 20, 2009
i have been down here for 3 days and these are my observations
#1...sosua is much cleaner
#2...more people out and about
#3...beach is teeming with families
#4...newer buildings and highways much better
#5...night life much better controlled
#6...life is much better here :)

they have done alot to make sosua better and i have to tip my hat of too them...very well done...

on a side note...i forgot my camera at rocky's last night
and 5 young ladies who were using the computers found it and gave it to the desk...now for all those who say this country is corrupt..
i see very nice people..
peace all....
and will try to find time during the vacation to keep up :)

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Good to hear something positive from time to time. Especially in an area like Sos?a.

HB

Aug 21, 2007
Change is hard for some people, especially for those who don't have the opportunity to leave and return, seeing it with new eyes. However, given time, I believe that Sosua will continue to improve for everyone's enjoyment.

While I am not associated with this organization beyond a FaceBook friendship, I recommend anyone interested in keeping abreast of information on Sosua improvements who is a FaceBook member should "Friend" Adss Sosua.

Doing so will give you information and a platform for feedback to those who are working for change.

Lindsey

rsg

Bronze
Oct 21, 2008
I cant recall one person saying that Sosua was perfect, and leave it like it was..

What people had a problem with was girls being arrested for just walking down the street..And some of the stupid things like wanting to enclose the bars..The intentions of cleaning up Sosua are good, but i think that they just started out on the wrong foot..

A cleaner, calmer Sosua will benefit everyone in the long run..

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
While I am not associated with this organization beyond a FaceBook friendship, I recommend anyone interested in keeping abreast of information on Sosua improvements who is a FaceBook member should "Friend" Adss Sosua.

Doing so will give you information and a platform for feedback to those who are working for change.

Lindsey

Is Adss Sosua the mayor. I'm not a member and have no interest in being one, however, I would join just to have that contact with the mayor.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
they have done alot to make sosua better and i have to tip my hat of too them...very well done...

Good post, woofsback.

Yes, there have been a lot of positive changes. Besides those you listed, sidewalks during the day seem less crowded, not the congested spots that we had previously. And the main street seems more open, easier for cars to navigate. If I didn't know better, I would think the sidewalks and the street had been widened.

wrecksum

Bronze
Sep 27, 2010
Are we talking about the same place where I was a couple of hours ago, and also a year or so ago?
You are implying that as I go there daily for something I have not noticed the amazing improvements 'cos my eyes have failed and the wonderful changes have crept up on me without my noticing?
And that in your week or so holiday every year you have seen what I've not?
The only thing that's changed is your perception.
Somebody is trying to fix something that's not broke.
Sosua's fine and 'a comeback' implies a previous downfall which is not apparent.
I went to Cabarete last night with a group of visitors for a change and what?- Expensive, tourist scamming, hellish noisy, no parking and ,ultimately,for non-tourists, characterless, Gringo oriented and boring!
I still prefer Sosua (and I have absolutely nothing to do with the so-called Sex Industry, as a seller or buyer but) it's just more vibrant and more "interesting".
The roads are still chaotic and clogged. The pavements still overflow splendidly. Folks still parade to see and be seen,one hole in the road was fixed for a while, the lights work again,- sometimes; the motoconchos are still wonderfully suicidal etc. etc.
The families still gather in the Dominican holidays on the beach like for ever.The empanada wagons and Jaroah vans still park all over and the chicken grills are wafting tempting aromas in the evening air. What's not to like?

I'm sorry but IMHO you are talking rubbish.

Aug 21, 2007
Is Adss Sosua the mayor. I'm not a member and have no interest in being one, however, I would join just to have that contact with the mayor.

Adss is Asociaci?n desarrollo sostenible Sos?a, association for a sustainable Sosua.

Recent postings have told which areas are targeted for clean-up and what public officials will be present.

This association has nothing to do with street activity, changes in laws, or police.

Lindsey

Kyle

Silver
Jun 2, 2006
one person's opinion doesn't make it law. sometime people only see what they want to see and hear what they want to hear. some people see "so-sewer" and some people see "sosua".
i've noticed those observations for the past 6 years in sosua. change is always slow in a 3rd world country.

RenatoSosua

Bronze
Nov 8, 2006
groups.yahoo.com
:)

WOW, great news, thank you.

Conchman

Silver
Jul 3, 2002
www.oceanworld.net
well its easy to say things have picked up when you are talking about X-mas/New Years super high season. If you're not busy now you will never be.

The big question is, how will the rest of the season be, and more importantly, how will summer and fall pan out?

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Adss is Asociaci?n desarrollo sostenible Sos?a, association for a sustainable Sosua.

Recent postings have told which areas are targeted for clean-up and what public officials will be present.

This association has nothing to do with street activity, changes in laws, or police.

Lindsey

Thanks, but still worth signing on for. I support what the Asociacion is trying to do.

ramesses

Gold
Jun 17, 2005
It is so nice to hear that all the poor people have been kicked out of Sosua....don't want poor people around.

DR Mpe

Banned
Mar 31, 2003

+1. It is nicer, not sure why anyone can dislike the curtains in front of secrets etc. Just looks nicer,.

Kyle

Silver
Jun 2, 2006
#6...life is much better here.

as long as there are girls, it will be....

DR Mpe

Banned
Mar 31, 2003
#6...life is much better here.

as long as there are girls, it will be....

Yeah and if they sit behind the curtains and say "Te quiero Papi" is better for them, the men inside and families and couples walking by on the street. Good for Sosua. Sosua get a better mix of tourists - like it had before.

woofsback

Bronze
Dec 20, 2009
I'm sorry but IMHO you are talking rubbish.

i walk a 10-15mins hike 2-4 times daily along the highway...
guess i can't see the cleanliness compared to last year...
must be the rubbisgh i'm talking..lol

there are still some buildings that are in need of major repairs...
but i have seen many new buildings that make the areas better
the roads are in much better condition that previous years...

the area is no longer run over with haitians so the locals are more relaxed than in previous years and hence more friendlier...

now i may be only a part timer in your opinion...but at least i am out and in the local venue during the daylight where one can actually see the differences that have come about in this nice little town...

only things i see as the same are still the beach vendors and moto conchos...they still hassle...the rest wait to let you decide what you want instead of pushing tactics...restaurant and beach workers now carry cards showing they are registered...lends credibility to the system....

and the night life starts about 10pm...not sure what happens after...i'm usally in a cab heading to the condo between 11 and 12...

all in all...
the town and areas around are more controlled..cleaner...and friendlier
and that is MY HONEST OPINION :)

ramesses

Gold
Jun 17, 2005
It seems the one person that has benefited the most from the sweep has been Peter from La Passions. He is raving about how his business has picked up. Another happy expat!!

Status
Not open for further replies.