Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default English speaker looking for work in Santo Domingo

I am moving to Santo Domingo in May of 2011. I am wondering if its going to be hard for me to find work there. I speak English and very little Spanish. I just would like to find a job that will keep me busy so I don't stay home all the time. I am trying to learn Spanish as my second language.

I would also look into continuing my education in DR. I hope that I can find an English speaking university to attend.

Can I please get feedback with suggestions on what I should do as far as work and school. I would think that some kind of Tourist destination would want to have an English speaking employee.

Post Thanks / Like

Private Message me for further information

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

It generally will impossible to find work in the DR unless you have experience in an area where you would not need to be bilingual like at some of the resorts.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

You can always find work at a call center. Some will take you with your passport, others may require a cedula.

Post Thanks / Like

Are you nuts? Or in "love"? It makes no sense. There are Dominicans that can speak English, have degrees and cannot find work!! So, because you are a foreigner, speak English and are going to live here you want a job?

Does not seem right.

And you want an English speaking university also...Well gee willy!!! I'll bet a lot of people in France would like an Spanish speaking university so they can study law. Wouldn't it be nice...Well if you want to study medicine you can pay an arm and a leg and go to Unibe's English-language Medical Program, but you better have a lot of money...

I have to question this move...

HB

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

there are over 350 millions in US that speak english. do you have another skill?

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

"I just would like to find a job that will keep me busy so I don't stay home all the time. I am trying to learn Spanish as my second language."

Since it doesn't seem you need the job for money to support yourself but rather just want to fill up your time I would suggest you look to join groups like the Santo Domingo drama group or the international women's league. You could also volunteer your time with a vet that helps street animals or volunteer at a school. You can help the kids learn English while working on your Spanish at the same time.

Good luck with your move, I hope you find life in Santo Domingo lives up to all your expectations.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

You are going to have a great time here. You should keep a journal, because things will be very interesting for you. By the way the official language of DR is spanish honey. But welcome to my country, as cobraboy stated once "you will never be bored here".

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

sad to report that the Santo Domingo Little Theater is defunct

the English speaking library is still operational behind the Episcopal church on Independencia

They have a small English speaking congregation.. as do the Baptists, I think

The International women's club is an option... the Ladies Who Lunch

but I assume that there is some reason for the move,,, a family or something?

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

I am sorry to hear the news about the SD Little Theater Mountainannie. Maybe the OP wants something that will really fill her time and try to get the group going again.

I am assuming that the OP is following a spouse that already has a good job lined up since she said she just wants to fill time.

There are a lot of activities and volunteer opportunities out there - I know that I wouldn't have had trouble filling up my days when we lived in SD if I could have quit work....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast