going through customs with some Christmas presents

seg527

Feb 27, 2010
Hi,

I'm coming back to the DR in a week and collected some Christmas presents while home in the USA, and I'm bringing back some things for a friend.

I have a magnification mirror that is large and electronic I want to bring back, and would like to keep it completely wrapped up in the original box. I have never opened it, and just want to put the box in my suitcase. Is this going to be a problem going through customs?

Also, I am bringing back a Kindle for a friend. It arrived to my houses all packaged and I would like to keep it that way. Will it be a problem if it is unopened in the original packaging?

Also, I will be bringing in 2 laptops. Neither is brand new. This shouldn't be a problem, right?

Any feedback would be appreciated, as I really don't know anything about DR customs. Thanks!

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
We came through SDQ on Sunday with 4 overstuffed suitcases, 2 carry-ons, a backpack and a big tote. All they did was check the baggage tags to be sure we had our own bags. We brought in many electronic items, including Macbook, Kindle, Iphones, etc.

I didn't see anyone having their bags opened.

AE

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
They usually do not open your suitcase, but if you carry a package that is wrapped they may ask you to open it. I would keep everything in your luggage.

Feb 7, 2007
If you do not want to carry it in your luggage, carry on hand and you put it in your luggage in the baggage area after you pick up your luggage and before going through customs. Got the idea?

InsanelyOne

Bronze
Oct 21, 2008
I think it all depends on the airport. SDQ seems very lax. I don't recall ever having to open my luggage. My personal experience with PUJ is the exact opposite. They get me every time. They always seem suspicious of me since I'm traveling alone and usually have 2 medium-sized bags plus a laptop bag. As a matter of fact, my last time through PUJ the customs guy waved me right through and then upon realizing the woman next to me wasn't traveling with me, he suddenly started a barrage of questions and then had me go over and open my bags.

puryear270

Bronze
Aug 26, 2009
SDQ is always cool about items coming into the country.

The TSA in the US is not, however, and they are likely to open your bags, especially if you have any sort of out-of-the-ordinary electronic items in your checked bags.

Several people on a different site have complained about having Christmas presents in their checked bags opened when they arrived at their destination.